lighting tech geeks your help is needed

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

tunes4046

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Fennimore Wi
I have and old LED outdoor sign at the rink probably 12 years old it is light with sticky back led strip lighting, a few segments have burned out over time from water damage, the transformers list output voltage as 15 volts can I use the 12 volt tape available on amazon to fix these???

Reactions: ittigger
I have and old LED outdoor sign at the rink probably 12 years old it is light with sticky back led strip lighting, a few segments have burned out over time from water damage, the transformers list output voltage as 15 volts can I use the 12 volt tape available on amazon to fix these???

That's a 25% increase and the LEDs will run hot. If they are encased in plastic (waterproof) they will be even less capable of disipating that heat. The life will be significantly shortened. The LEDs are probably arranged in parallel/series combinations and if one or more LEDs fails closed the problem will intensify and increase the rate of failure.

You need to put some diodes in series or use a voltage converter to drop the voltage to an acceptable level.

That's a 25% increase and the LEDs will run hot. If they are encased in plastic (waterproof) they will be even less capable of disipating that heat. The life will be significantly shortened. The LEDs are probably arranged in parallel/series combinations and if one or more LEDs fails closed the problem will intensify and increase the rate of failure.

You need to put some diodes in series or use a voltage converter to drop the voltage to an acceptable level.
thank you

Reactions: ittigger