Losing Touch? Not With The Youth But With The Old !

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
We call them "Classic" stations instead .. :)

Funny I mentioned on air last weekend this song is so much easier to relate to at 47 than it was at 17 ;)

Had a similar experience... When my mom was in the hospital, essentially waiting to die, they had her on morphine for pain. I took her a little CD player with a CD I recorded with all the songs I can remember her playing when I was a kid. I put the headphones on her and you could see an instant change in her. Music is powerful.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is

Reactions: ittigger
Thankfully, regardless of the decade, it seems to be in revival. I'm playing for my niece's HS graduation party Saturday and she texted me "Do you have any Classic Rock you can play?" :)

Classic rock to them may be from the 90's!

I've often wondered the same, what age group considers the year grouping to be Oldies?

What age group considers music to be "Classic Rock"? What is "classic rock"?

Also what age group considers music to be "Golden Oldies"?

Isn't "oldies" construed to be two decades prior to the age of the person speaking? If so, then what is "Old Skool"?

So many definitions of music that are not of the present day (current?) music.

Last edited:
I've often wondered the same, what age group considers the year grouping to be Oldies?

What age group considers music to be "Classic Rock"? What is "classic rock"?

Also what age group considers music to be "Golden Oldies"?

Isn't "oldies" construed to be two decades prior to the age of the person speaking? If so, then what is "Old Skool"?

So many definitions of music that are not of the present day (current?) music.
A friend who has been do a local oldies show on radio for over 30 years uses a 20 year rule

You know you're getting old when you're in a bar, they're playing "Classic Rock", you request Skynyrd's Simple Man while holding a 10 dollar bill, and they don't know how to do it! Really happened to me - when I got home a threw away my roller blades!!

This is an important video - please watch the whole thing - Let the Music Determine Everything!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn87-mcnoVc

You know you're getting old when you're in a bar, they're playing "Classic Rock", you request Skynyrd's Simple Man while holding a 10 dollar bill, and they don't know how to do it! Really happened to me - when I got home a threw away my roller blades!!

This is an important video - please watch the whole thing - Let the Music Determine Everything!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn87-mcnoVc

Nice.[emoji4] I'm happy to say, I'm doing what I want to.[emoji4] I'm fortunate to be able to do that. I don't think I ever became an a$$ hole, but I'm sure you could find a couple of former employees who would disagree.[emoji1] DJing is something I WANT to do, but if it ever becomes a chore, I'll quit.[emoji4] My biggest issue is my many toys take up too much space. I need to figure out how to pare down... I've started replacing computers with tiny computers.[emoji1]

Nice.[emoji4] I'm happy to say, I'm doing what I want to.[emoji4] I'm fortunate to be able to do that. I don't think I ever became an a$$ hole, but I'm sure you could find a couple of former employees who would disagree.[emoji1] DJing is something I WANT to do, but if it ever becomes a chore, I'll quit.[emoji4] My biggest issue is my many toys take up too much space. I need to figure out how to pare down... I've started replacing computers with tiny computers.[emoji1]

Yea .. tiny 24" computers ...

I am also fortunate that for the last 13 years, with perhaps a few exceptions for family responsibilities, and not using DJ computer screens larger than 17", I've been able to do just what I want to do.

I'm surprised by how fast it is all going - and I try to live up to this ol' Biker Philosophy, and Hunter S. Thompson quote,
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

You should be in your 70's and trying to make sense of what decade the guest is asking for by Oldies, Old Skool, Classic Rock, Rock. LOL!

You should be in your 70's and trying to make sense of what decade the guest is asking for by Oldies, Old Skool, Classic Rock, Rock. LOL!
I am and find it necessary to ask the requestor to give me two examples of what they mean. Even then, it can be perplexing.

I didn't read all the posts, but remember that a 50th Anniversary would be 1967, Summer Of Love, and if they we 18 years old when they got married, that would be right in their wheelhouse. Old doesn't mean 50's or 40's anymore.

And old people are more young at heart than they used to be. A 20 year old bride may have a 35-40 year old parent... 40 years ago 1977.... I graduated from HS in 1974!!!

When I first started deejaying weddings I remember playing music from the 50s and early 60s fairly often...

One of the last weddings I did, the parents of the bride/groom had only been married 23 to 24 years...They did not make it to my 1/4 century mark during the Married Couples Dance. The grand parents of the bride had only been married 47 years. I thought for sure they would make it to the 50 mark, but did not. The longest married couple was the grand parents at 47 years...Assuming they were 18/19 or so when they got married, that means they were like 65 years old. For them at 65, they wouldn't remember the 50s, and didn't hit high school until the late 60s.

Basically, today's weddings, Music from the 50s are pretty much dead in terms of having any of the guests attending really remember that music when while it was being played when they were growing up. The 1960s have a number of strong hits that are still sticking at weddings, but that decade might be finished in the next 5 years or so except a handful of songs like Beatles "Twist", and Marvin Gaye's "Ain't no Mountain High Enough" ...Chubby Checker's Let's Twist Again will still be known as well (How much DJs play it in the future will be up in the air)...Elvis songs from back then might be real iffy at a wedding in the future, but the Great Grand Parents, and OLDER Grand Parents might still enjoy listing to those songs. Temptations "My Girl, and Etta James "At Last" might last past 5 years as still played at many weddings. James Brown selections...MAYBE still be played at some weddings, but that's a bigger Maybe.

Deejaying weddings in 2021 and beyond, and I think 70s Disco/Funk music will be looked at as the OLD STUFF. Outside of Ratpack/Standards for Cocktail Hour, older music earlier than the 70s may not be played any more at weddings as time marches on.

Reactions: SEDJ and DJ Bobcat
I am and find it necessary to ask the requestor to give me two examples of what they mean. Even then, it can be perplexing.

That makes two 70+ DJ who find it necessary to qualify by example of artist or other song that fall within their concept of "oldies" or other age-defined decades.