Weddings "Love Story" - How To?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Things MUST be slow on DJA....

First Randy's thread on Price Shopping Brides on another forum.

Then, this thread here....

What's next?

YouTube - Biblical Proportions

Things MUST be slow on DJA....

First Randy's thread on Price Shopping Brides on another forum.

Then, this thread here....

What's next?

Give them time, they'll probably start a thread on getting what you're worth. :sqlaugh:

Yet you don't use any of your own Love Stories... :)

If what your are saying is that I don't share them, this is true. They become the exclusive property of the client. Unless you are a guest of one of my clients you will never see one of my love stories.

No running Tom. I'm still here. Reading, observing and learning. We can agree to disagree on topics. Nothing wrong with that. I am just a firm believer that you should never stop growing and never get complacent.

In regards to flying to learn, ask Richard Mills from New Zealand or Derek and Carol Pengelly from England if flying to Vegas is worth it to him/them. I'd bet they would say it is.

If what your are saying is that I don't share them, this is true. They become the exclusive property of the client. Unless you are a guest of one of my clients you will never see one of my love stories.

LOL... I figured you would say something like that... LMAO!

All I merely tried to do was to suggest improvement... but yer at that point already where you cannot improve any more...

I hope I never get there...

I do wish you the best Tom... If I attacked you personally I apologize... My intent was not to make it personal it was to suggest that there may be a better way of doing things.

After all the Personal comments you have made...

But, Mark has you penned up in his box, doesn't he? You only know how to do it Mark's way so any deviations to that method I offer is wrong.

Enjoy your penned in world.

And you must be Peter Merry.

Give them time, they'll probably start a thread on getting what you're worth.

And that truly is the problem with workshops. Many people do not know how to or have the confidence to go beyond the presenters method. They continue to use what was presented and drive it into the ground.

And Not to mention paraphrasing what others say into something that is no where remotely close to what the original message was, just so you can attack it...

Mitch, I have no problem at all with that. I have attended expos in the past just for that purpose. Just don't say that one presenter's way is the only right way. If you are going from A to B and stray through C through Z to get there it doesn't mean that you took the wrong path. Mark has one concept of the Love Story and I and other DJs out there have many other concepts. The only wrong concept is the one the client did not like.

I can only do as you suggest...

Frank and Mitch:

At this point, if I were you, I'd run, not walk, but run away from this thread...

I will leave you with this, Every dollar I've spent on bettering myself as a DJ, Master of Ceremonies, Salesperson, Marketer, etc.. has found it's way back into my pocket 100x faster than if I did not take those courses, or bought those CD's.

All I had to do was to be Open to the idea (Whether it was originally theirs or not) and listened to their Message.

If it was something I could implement, I did, if it wasn't I didn't.

I am a firm believer in giving money to people in return for obtaining knowledge I don't have.

ALL of the people who I've given my hard earn money to, have showed me ideas that I could not get from a book, cd, or DVD. Mainly because they were there looking at my mistakes/areas of improvement and suggested for a way or couple of ways to improve.... and I have benefited from it.

In my life I've spent well over $3,000 in myself, and I don't think that's a lot compared to going from making $300 in one night to now being able to demand $1,200+ Per wedding...

So I hope you understand, I'm not here to bash anyone, just suggest that you can do better, that there are better ways of doing things...

I hope you guys can understand my message...

Cheers!!!

No running Tom. I'm still here. Reading, observing and learning. We can agree to disagree on topics. Nothing wrong with that. I am just a firm believer that you should never stop growing and never get complacent.

Mitch, I have no problem at all with that. I have attended expos in the past just for that purpose. Just don't say that one presenter's way is the only right way. If you are going from A to B and stray through C through Z to get there it doesn't mean that you took the wrong path. Mark has one concept of the Love Story and I and other DJs out there have many other concepts. The only wrong concept is the one the client did not like.

Tom,

I don't believe I have ever stated that one person's way is the right way. There are many places to learn from.

But, Mark has you penned up in his box, doesn't he? You only know how to do it Mark's way so any deviations to that method I offer is wrong.

Enjoy your penned in world.

What I have been trying to say to you that Mark's way is not the only way. You need to get past that. Use your own imagination and do things your own way.

Then I did not disappoint you.

All I merely tried to do was to suggest improvement... but yer at that point already where you cannot improve any more...

Life is a continuous improvement process. I just don't like to take an established process, implement it, and call it an improvement.

When I was a software developer it was my job to automate a manual process but, applying systems analyst skills I always found ways to not only automate it but improve it. During my project management days I always looked for ways to improve the project management and software development life cycle. Now that my job combines all of this plus release coordination and management I am constantly looking at ways to improve the established processes we have in place.

I alsways endeavor to apply these principals to my DJ business as well.

I will leave you with this, Every dollar I've spent on bettering myself as a DJ, Master of Ceremonies, Salesperson, Marketer, etc.. has found it's way back into my pocket 100x faster than if I did not take those courses, or bought those CD's.

All I had to do was to be Open to the idea (Whether it was originally theirs or not) and listened to their Message.

Frank, I never said I was not open to the message.

I have Randy's 1% Solution. I have gone through it several times and reaped the benefits.

I have Scott Favor's Game Master DVD series and these have given me tons of ideas.

I went through my phase of CDs, DVDs, and workshops and it is now time for me to do some of my own free thinking.

But there are messages being delivered by some workshop DJs that their way is the only way. That kind of ego I just won't tolerate.

And I hope you understand mine.

ALL of the people who I've given my hard earn money to, have showed me ideas that I could not get from a book, cd, or DVD. Mainly because they were there looking at my mistakes/areas of improvement and suggested for a way or couple of ways to improve.... and I have benefited from it.

Now, did you try something that was outside the presenter's method? For example, if they told you to do it as an audio presentation did you innovate and add video to it?

Were the mistakes you made truly mistakes or did you do something that deviated from their method? Would your client see it as a mistake or an innovation?

Now, did you try something that was outside the presenter's method? For example, if they told you to do it as an audio presentation did you innovate and add video to it?

Were the mistakes you made truly mistakes or did you do something that deviated from their method? Would your client see it as a mistake or an innovation?

Wow dude, you truly amaze me.... What is your goal in life... To singlehandedly run the DJ industry to the ground? Keep at it you are doing good!!!

Weekly complaints about photogs, about wedding coordinators, about children, abut dvds, seminars, other professionals who truly in their heart want to better the DJ industry by telling you their secrets in return for a monetary gain, who provide a service to those who may need it...

I mean, honestly what are you trying to accomplish? How big is your EGO? You already have it in for me because I simply suggested that the way you are doing the love story may not be optimal?

I have not twisted a single word you have said yet everything I say you pin it up against....

Cookie cutter techniques (I don't really even know what that is), doing it a certain way that requires you to not be innovative,
Mark's way is the only way,
Peter is a God,
I am against creativeness
I am against 'thinking outside the box'

Dude, c'mon you look a lot older and mature than what you act... I was having these types of arguments 15 years ago with other 15 year olds...

Forums are a great source of information and helping out the fellow DJ, but also the root of a lot of negativity and Misinformation...

I may have been wrong about 1 thing in all that I've said... and that was that maybe Mark was the originator of the Love Story... and notice I say MAYBE...

Can you honestly tell me what you have been wrong about?? Nope? I didn't think so... Cuz your ego wont let you.. you have the answer for everything, and you have an insult for everyone who does not agree with you...

photogs, other dj's, wedding coordinators, children (BTW I love children, mine or someone else's), bridezillas, industry leaders, mastermind groups, basically anyone who does not agree with you...

BTW No I don't understand your point.....

Frank:

You seem to put a lot of faith in Mark's method and you don't want to seem to accept the fact that there are other ways to do these things.

You have been told by folks that Mark invented the love Story and that is gospel to you now. Mark did not invent it. I did not invent it either but I did something like it before the Love Story name was given to it. I am confident that other DJs that did weddings before me did something like it.

Therw will be DJs that have never heard of Mark that will come up with this on their own.

Can you honestly tell me what you have been wrong about?? Nope? I didn't think so... Cuz your ego wont let you.. you have the answer for everything, and you have an insult for everyone who does not agree with you...

I've been wrong about many things in my life. I have made plenty of mistakes as a DJ and learned (well, tried to learn) from all of them. I don't have all the answers and wish I did.

My point to you is that you seem to think any other method than Mark's is wrong. Well, it is not. Mark has one way but it is not the only way. I presented alternatives and you shot them down because they did not fit the mold or your concept of what a Love Story should be. For example, you said that the Love Story couldn't be done in two minutes. Why not? A Love Story is what you make of it and you have the power to do it any way you want.

As to my other posts:

CDs, DVDs, Books, Workshops: These all present one persons point of view. They may be good for quick reference; howver, are they really worth what we are paying for them? It seems that we are being inundated with them from time to time. My point is that this knowledge may be found simply by networking on boards like this.

Photographers: Actually it was a videographer. I get along with most other vendors but this guy was being pushy. How would you have reacted?

Wedding Coordinators: Read the entire post. She overstepped her bounds and admitted as such. But still, I've had my share of more bad ones than good ones.

Children: OK, I'm a curmudgeon sometimes but I also think that parents should really consider the environment they are bringing their kids into and take responsibility for them.

Other DJs: I really don't have a problem with other DJs. I do have a problem with folks that are not DJs for a particular event and thrust their unsolicited advice on me. If they say, "May I give you some advice", that's one thing but if they say "If I were you" then they are quickly going to find out that they are not.

Bridezillas: I take steps in the interview to have the potential Bridezilla self-identify. From there it is easy to tell them that we are not the company for them. "Bridezilla (a portmanteau of bride and Godzilla) is a generic term used to describe a difficult, unpleasant, perfectionist bride who leaves aggravated family, friends and bridal vendors in her wake. ...". I don't mind relinquishing control to the bride; however, I also don't want her to make the job she wants me to do difficult.

Industry Leaders: And who appointed them leaders? Was there an election? I only respect people that earn my respect.

Mastermind Groups: Huh?

Thanks Freddy

I could have said I invented the Anniversary Dance but realize other human beings DJ'd before and after me and we do follow similiar paths as we use music to enhance our events. Al Gore invented the internet and that is when propoganda had hit its alltime highest point.:sqwink:
Can you please show documentation on this? Where is it a fact?

Back since the 1980's when I first began, the MCs where using the Love story before the couple made their grand entrance to their Bridal Shower not on their wedding. This was way back in the early 1980's. Propaganda is good at ADJA and many believe the hype. I don't need to be a member to know that it did not start there. I know for a fact that Latin MC's here in Miami where using it at many Bridal Showers that I played, right before the couple entered the hall and made their grand entrance, the MC will read a short story about the couple. So that is nothing new and has been around for more then 20 years!!!!!

Frank:

You seem to put a lot of faith in Mark's method and you don't want to seem to accept the fact that there are other ways to do these things.

I never claimed that... but thanks for twisting up the truth

You have been told by folks that Mark invented the love Story and that is gospel to you now. Mark did not invent it. I did not invent it either but I did something like it before the Love Story name was given to it. I am confident that other DJs that did weddings before me did something like it.

That's not true either, but thanks for making up more of the "tommyfacts"

My point to you is that you seem to think any other method than Mark's is wrong. Well, it is not. Mark has one way but it is not the only way. I presented alternatives and you shot them down because they did not fit the mold or your concept of what a Love Story should be.

Here we go again, Lies Lies and more lies...

For example, you said that the Love Story couldn't be done in two minutes. Why not? A Love Story is what you make of it and you have the power to do it any way you want.

Getting Closer to the truth, but still, your twisted version of it...

Let me say it again....

I have not twisted a single word you have said yet everything I say you pin it up against....

Cookie cutter techniques (I don't really even know what that is), doing it a certain way that requires you to not be innovative,
Mark's way is the only way,
Peter is a God,
I am against creativeness
I am against 'thinking outside the box'

Things I don't even claim... Yet you decided that I do... and you even argue your point against your very own point :)

That to me is funny...

Wedding Coordinators: Read the entire post. She overstepped her bounds and admitted as such. But still, I've had my share of more bad ones than good ones.

I don't think she ever actually logged on to this board and claimed that herself, so we have to take your word for it. :)

Bridezillas: I take steps in the interview to have the potential Bridezilla self-identify. From there it is easy to tell them that we are not the company for them. "Bridezilla (a portmanteau of bride and Godzilla) is a generic term used to describe a difficult, unpleasant, perfectionist bride who leaves aggravated family, friends and bridal vendors in her wake. ...". I don't mind relinquishing control to the bride; however, I also don't want her to make the job she wants me to do difficult.

I've never in my life met a bridezilla... I don't believe there are any...

Industry Leaders: And who appointed them leaders? Was there an election? I only respect people that earn my respect.

A leader is any person with followers... You are a leader... You don't know where you are leading people, but you have followers...

Mastermind Groups: Huh?

You are participating in one and don't even know what it is...

Dude, c'mon you look a lot older and mature than what you act... I was having these types of arguments 15 years ago with other 15 year olds...

Is this a personal attack? Is that not against the TOS of ODJT?

Is your application firmly in the hands of the Guild or what? Good luck with that.

I hope I never get there...

I do wish you the best Tom... If I attacked you personally I apologize... My intent was not to make it personal it was to suggest that there may be a better way of doing things.

After all the Personal comments you have made...

And Not to mention paraphrasing what others say into something that is no where remotely close to what the original message was, just so you can attack it...

I can only do as you suggest...

If it was something I could implement, I did, if it wasn't I didn't.

I am a firm believer in giving money to people in return for obtaining knowledge I don't have.

In my life I've spent well over $3,000 in myself, and I don't think that's a lot compared to going from making $300 in one night to now being able to demand $1,200+ Per wedding...

So I hope you understand, I'm not here to bash anyone, just suggest that you can do better, that there are better ways of doing things...

Cheers!!!

Reading this it looks like TOS could be interpreted to be violated by BOTH parties. I say let men be men....except when they are acting like children :sqwink: