Mistaken for a photographer again.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
First let me say I was given a free ticket by my best friend last night to go to a party the post office was giving in Kenilworth, NJ. The party was from 8pm-1am. It was at the Kenilworth Veterans Center. A very large room upstairs. Ticket was $45. 4 hours open bar. I'm in the process of breaking up with my current GF and my old GF was at this party and she was looking GOOD!

On to the topic at hand. I wasn't the DJ for this party. My BF and his wife just wanted me to take some pictures. He couldn't go because he has to work today. So he gave me a ticket. His sister and her husband where there since both of them retired from the post office.

The party itself was OK. The bad thing was at some point they had this DJ come on and play some reggae and the crowd just wasn't feeling it. He just kept throwing on songs that didn't really go together. He kept switching up BPM's on songs. After a while most of the crowd left because of this. Myself all some see is me with this camera and they think I'm a photographer. I had some ladies outside tell me that as I took a couple of pictures with a cellphone. I handed them my business card and told them I'm a DJ. It just amazes me when people see me with my Canon T3i they think I'm a phtog. LOL.

I am going to be there on October 29th taking pictures and video for my friend that is doing this party with his mentor. Both are great DJs and great guys. I even said I would supply them with some lights on a stand. Not a big deal since both guys are very good friends of mine.

Well here goes some pictures I took last night., I wanted to shoot some video but I couldn't because I left that card home. I also forgot to mention for my taste they didn't have enough sound to me. At times the music was screaming. Meaning they were pushing the system to hard to make up for what they didn't have.

I say they need to more tops and another sub and the sound would have been right. Just my thoughts since this is a very large room. I mean really BIG! I didn't know any of the DJs so I couldn't say a thing. I did finally get to see one of the DJs I had heard about for years. I just never got to talk to him because I missed seeing him at the end.

The lady in the second picture with the beige on is my ex.

Attachments

• IMG_5764.JPG
    IMG_5764.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5765.JPG
    IMG_5765.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5766.JPG
    IMG_5766.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5767.JPG
    IMG_5767.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5768.JPG
    IMG_5768.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5769.JPG
    IMG_5769.JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5770.JPG
    IMG_5770.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5771.JPG
    IMG_5771.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5772.JPG
    IMG_5772.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5773.JPG
    IMG_5773.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5774.JPG
    IMG_5774.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5775.JPG
    IMG_5775.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5776.JPG
    IMG_5776.JPG
    292 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5777.JPG
    IMG_5777.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5778.JPG
    IMG_5778.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5779.JPG
    IMG_5779.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5780.JPG
    IMG_5780.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5781.JPG
    IMG_5781.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5782.JPG
    IMG_5782.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5783.JPG
    IMG_5783.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5784.JPG
    IMG_5784.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5785.JPG
    IMG_5785.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5786.JPG
    IMG_5786.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5787.JPG
    IMG_5787.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5788.JPG
    IMG_5788.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5789.JPG
    IMG_5789.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5790.JPG
    IMG_5790.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5791.JPG
    IMG_5791.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5792.JPG
    IMG_5792.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5793.JPG
    IMG_5793.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5794.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5795.JPG
    IMG_5795.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5796.JPG
    IMG_5796.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5797.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5798.JPG
    IMG_5798.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Maybe it's the angle, but the room doesn't look very big to me.

Crowd appears to be dancing

How do you know why people left?

I thought your gf was great because she loaned you money when you didn't have it. What happened?

Maybe it's the angle, but the room doesn't look very big to me.

Crowd appears to be dancing

How do you know why people left?

I thought your gf was great because she loaned you money when you didn't have it. What happened?
Because the crowd wasn't dancing to that music. Most of them stayed in their seats. It was a large crowd and they were ready to boogie down. Especially with this DJ just playing songs randomly that didn't go together.

That room seems larger than the one you brought 37 speakers to ... That setup looked appropriate (and is of enough quality) to handle that many people 3 time over.

And a photography tip .. don't photograph and publish pictures of people's butts, save those for yourself.

That room seems larger than the one you brought 37 speakers to ... That setup looked appropriate (and is of enough quality) to handle that many people 3 time over.

And a photography tip .. don't photograph and publish pictures of people's butts, save those for yourself.
Sorry but she was a wide load.

When they think you are a photographer let them have a peek at your pics that will straighten them right out ;)

Steve it was like they were trying to hard with the sound. At times it sounded distorted. Too much highs. That's why I said to me they needed more speakers so they don't have to push the system so hard to get it loud enough to fill the room.

Steve it was like they were trying to hard with the sound. At times it sounded distorted. Too much highs. That's why I said to me they needed more speakers so they don't have to push the system so hard to get it loud enough to fill the room.

You can carry a tractor-trailer load of speakers if you don't know how to use them they won't help a bit. If your pics are showing an accurate depiction of the room this guy had more than enough

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
Having the right gear (or amount) still requires it to be used properly. Exaggerated EQ settings, improper gain structure, wrong or no crossover settings, improper hookup .. all can contribute to poor sound with good gear. The gear itself is good (JBL VRX and looks to be a QSC sub or similar).

You can carry a tractor-trailer load of speakers if you don't know how to use them they won't help a bit. If your pics are showing an accurate depiction of the room this guy had more than enough
Not if your gains are all hitting red. Nothing should be at almost clipping level and the sound is distorted.

Not if your gains are all hitting red. Nothing should be at almost clipping level and the sound is distorted.
That could also be an indicator of improper output of the source unit .. especially if they were using headphone output jacks to drive the system instead of a proper USB audio unit.

That could also be an indicator of improper output of the source unit .. especially if they were using headphone output jacks to drive the system instead of a proper USB audio unit.

Which goes back to this

You can carry a tractor-trailer load of speakers if you don't know how to use them they won't help a bit.

So that is what I was looking at in the photo?

When they think you are a photographer let them have a peek at your pics that will straighten them right out ;)

Can you not post funny stuff while I'm drinking coffee?

I don't believe it. Nobody picked up on the wires in the setup from the pictures. If it were me I would get a spanking on here. LOL. Trust me more would have been better. It would have filled the room better and not been so distorted. At least 2 more of those tops would have rocked. The speakers were some I never saw before yet they were top of the line. I will research them and see what they cost. They remind me of speakers that they use when doing the Lincoln Park Festival. Just that they are much bigger and more powerful of course.

I googled those speakers and 4 of those tops with 4 matching subs cost almost 20k. That setup would be great for a large school dance for sure. I would love to own that for sure! Please don't beat me up for that. Just a great system! I can see well worth the money.

Last edited:
I don't believe it. Nobody picked up on the wires in the setup from the pictures. If it were me I would get a spanking on here. LOL. Trust me more would have been better. It would have filled the room better and not been so distorted. At least 2 more of those tops would have rocked. The speakers were some I never saw before yet they were top of the line. I will research them and see what they cost. They remind me of speakers that they use when doing the Lincoln Park Festival. Just that they are much bigger and more powerful of course.

I googled those speakers and 4 of those tops with 4 matching subs cost almost 20k. That setup would be great for a large school dance for sure. I would love to own that for sure! Please don't beat me up for that. Just a great system! I can see well worth the money.

If you posted those pics as your set up, yes you'd probably get some pointers as to what is wrong. But you posted somebody else's set up. That guy didn't post his pics looking for pointers or praise.

If you posted those pics as your set up, yes you'd probably get some pointers as to what is wrong. But you posted somebody else's set up. That guy didn't post his pics looking for pointers or praise.
What about when others have made a post about another DJs setup and trying to show others what their setup should not look like?

What about when others have made a post about another DJs setup and trying to show others what their setup should not look like?

They usually get scolded. It's unfair to post a photo of another DJ's setup here and critique it when that DJ isn't here to defend themselves. At the very least, you should get their card and invite them into the clubhouse.