School & Teen Events Mother / Son Event

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ittigger

Hundred Acre Industry Icon
Staff member
ODJT Supporter
Feb 1, 2011
Hundred Acre Wood
Looking for ideas for a Mother / Son dance, middle school age. I cover Middle and High school dances pretty easily. I've done a large number of Father / Daughter (middle school age) events but this will be the first Mother / Son event.

Songs? Games? Activities? Your ideas?

Tough one .. not sure I know any middle school aged boys wanting to be with Mom. I'd stay away from mushy and slow dancing. I'd stay away from songs where Mom would go dance and "embarrass" the kid.

Maybe get the boys to "coach" the Moms in some games.

It's a tough one. No matter what you play, the boys will almost always be running around playing with the other boys and the moms will be standing around talking to each other. This past weekend, I held one. They like the current hits? Watch Me, Hit the Quan, Cupid, Shut Up & Dance, Honey I'm Good, What Does the Fox Say, but they also seemed to like Michael Jackson and songs like Getting Jiggy With it and Quad City DJs. As far as games, I did hula hoop contests for the boys and the moms. The limbo did not go over well last year, so didn't try it this year.

I've done a few Mother/Sons, last one was a few months ago. To me, it's like a young Bar Mitz. You have to keep the boys entertained. Hopefully the dance isn't more than 2 hours, 3 is pushing it with their attention span. Upbeat music watch out for the little ganstas in the room and I play 1 slow Mother Son song either to open the floor or as last song of the night.

a few slow songs, a mothers song by tcarter music.
participation - cupid shuffle, macarena, cotton eyed joe, ymca, etc.
How old do you think the moms are? Play stuff they 'remember' and they'll dance or drag their kids out there to reminisce. Old school hip hop for example, maybe beastie boys.

Keep it clean ...

Reactions: ittigger
Looking for ideas for a Mother / Son dance, middle school age. I cover Middle and High school dances pretty easily. I've done a large number of Father / Daughter (middle school age) events but this will be the first Mother / Son event.

Songs? Games? Activities? Your ideas?
I'm doing my first father daughter dance april 1st, really it's my first school dance in 20 yrs, any advice? It's a k - 8 Catholic school so a wide age range

I'm doing my first father daughter dance april 1st, really it's my first school dance in 20 yrs, any advice? It's a k - 8 Catholic school so a wide age range

If it's all those grades (honestly, it should have been split around 3rd/4th grade up and down) keep it to simpler, old school songs mostly. Current stuff .. maybe Happy, Uptown Funk .. clean, upbeat songs. Throw in a few slower mushy tunes like "My Girl", "Daughters" (John Mayer) .. etc.

If it's all those grades (honestly, it should have been split around 3rd/4th grade up and down) keep it to simpler, old school songs mostly. Current stuff .. maybe Happy, Uptown Funk .. clean, upbeat songs. Throw in a few slower mushy tunes like "My Girl", "Daughters" (John Mayer) .. etc.

Yeah, that's what I was figuring. Platinum series and top 40. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
I'd stay away from mushy and slow dancing.

You're gonna have to play at least SOME slow songs. If the boy is actually decent enough to GO to the dance...
there's a good chance he'll be comfortable enough with his mom to dance with her.

No matter what you play, the boys will almost always be running around playing with the other boys and the moms will be standing around talking to each other.

The boys are happy....the moms are happy. Not a terrible outcome if it goes in that direction.

You're gonna have to play at least SOME slow songs. If the boy is actually decent enough to GO to the dance...
there's a good chance he'll be comfortable enough with his mom to dance with her.

The boys are happy....the moms are happy. Not a terrible outcome if it goes in that direction.
It s unless no one is watching the boys and they are tearing the place up.

Reactions: ittigger and Ausumm

I think mushy works for Father/Daughter and maybe Mother/Very Young Son, but at Middle Schhol ages, it would be rare to see a boy want to dance with his Mom in a slow dance.

I think mushy works for Father/Daughter and maybe Mother/Very Young Son, but at Middle Schhol ages, it would be rare to see a boy want to dance with his Mom in a slow dance.

I know you are right from watching my own son...
my I also know my wife, in that situation, would DEFINITELY want a dance or two. (willing or unwillingly)
And the mom's are half of your audience.