Interactive DJs Music Bingo - Need advice on how to do this with my system

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I did up a Disco Music Video Bingo set last night and tried it out - worked very well! I made it with 25 cards to start as a trial and will be doing a house warming party for a friend soon. I will fully test it out then but I think it will work very well. I will do some screen grabs of what I did up when I get home this evening and post it here. The process to create the card set is very simple. Here is what I did.

Step 1. I did a Google search for a good list of Disco songs. Here is what i settled on: 100 Greatest Disco Songs

Step 2. Went into my music video library and selected all the songs I had on the list and copied them over to a W:\Music Video Bingo\Disco folder. I probably had about 60 or 70 of the songs listed as music videos.

Step 3. My entire library of music and music videos uses the name convention "Artist - Song" (i.e. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love.mp4 or Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love.flac or Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love.mp3 as examples). I essentially copy and paste the "Artist - Song" portion of the file name into the cells on sheet 1 of the spreadsheet until (at least) all of the dark yellow cells are filled with a unique name.

Step 4. I then determine how many cards I need and enter that number in cell F11 (i.e. 50 Bingo cards). You then click cell F12 to create the cards. Once you do this it auto-populates the other 3 sheets in the spreadsheet with the Bingo Game Boards, Drawing Pieces (which I use to tick off the songs played for verification when someone calls Bingo) and then a Bingo variations sheet that you can use for picking the type of Bingo game to play (by draw or just as a list of game options for you to select).

Step 5. Go to the Bingo Game Board sheet and print off the game boards to hand out to players.

Step 6. Make sure every song you keep in the Step 1 folder is on the sheet 1 list of songs you generated your game boards with - otherwise it would be awkward if you played a song that wasn't on the sheet. Or just as bad, you are missing a song that is on the sheet.

Step 7. Set auto cue points for each music video (or songs if you are not doing video) so it doesn't play the artist/Band info found in the intro of most music videos - I use Xtendamix so all songs have this at the beginning and the end - you don't want to make it too easy for the players do you? Your call on that one though....

Step 8. Load up the folder of songs as a playlist (in my case I use Virtual DJ 8) and select "random once" to mix up the order. This is essentially your song randomizer like the Bingo hall device to extract balls randomly. The good thing about VDJ 8 is it can keep track of songs already played and in the order they were played if you de-select "auto-remove played" option from the playlist. VDJ 8 marks a song as played after so many seconds (something like 20 seconds which would be your minimum play time to ensure it is marked red) .

Step 9. Start the first song and mix to the next song at time intervals you deem to be appropriate for the mood and group you are playing to until someone shouts Bingo!

Step 10. Verify the card of the winner using your playlist or your ticked off Drawing Pieces sheet.

Step 11. (Most Important) Give out prize!

Really that simple.
As some say: Practice and Enjoy!
Screen captures to follow tonight (I didn't have the spreadsheet I created last night with me right now)

Last edited:
I have the "Extreme Bingo" game, I call it Jukebox Bingo and truthfully, sounds a lot easier than what you have to do... and I'm a computer idiot.. lool

Jukebox Bingo

I have the "Extreme Bingo" game, I call it Jukebox Bingo and truthfully, sounds a lot easier than what you have to do... and I'm a computer idiot.. lool

Jukebox Bingo

See: Jukebox Bingo

Hmmmm, $999US for digigames app vs free. See Extreme Bingo Music Bingo- 2 Computer License which is the newer version of your (I think) Jukebox Bingo?

Regardless, you still have to do the legwork for music selections and organize your files accordingly. What I wrote above sounds complicated as a recipe but is actually quite easy to do in practice and the price is right (simply your time).

Within a week I should have about 1/2 dozen games ready to go - can't wait to try it out on some guinea pigs (aka my friends party in a few weeks).
:djsmug:

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck The DJ

Jukebox Bingo
You know .. if I google "Jukebox Bingo" .. you are number 4 on the 1st page all the way out here in CT ..

Here are the screen captures I promised for the Disco Music Video Bingo Game I created with the free spreadsheet linked in my earlier post:

Screen capture 1 below is where you input the song names into each empty cell. Note that I had to make the font smaller (12 pt) to get all the titles to fit better. It is best to highlight a cell and paste into the input space where you see the "B" character next to the Fx (Function) operator. That way you will avoid hidden links if you are copying from a web list instead of filename characters:

Bingo_Sheet_1_Song_Input_Page.jpg

All the rest of the captures below are auto-generated from the first sheet when you hit "Create Boards".

Screen capture 2 shows thge first of 25 game boards generated after you click "Create Boards" in cell F12 above. Input the number of game boards desired in cell F11 above that depending on how many people you expect at your event.

Bingo_Sheet_2_Game_Board_1_of_25.jpg

Screen Capture 3 Shows the drawing pieces sheet (Here I will print this page out so I can check off songs as they are played for verification in the event you accidentally scrub the play history"

Bingo_Sheet_3_Drawing_Pieces.jpg

Screen capture 4 is a list of Bingo game variations as a quick cheat sheet. You can print this and cut out the various options and put them in a hat to draw as per the instructions you will see on sheet 1

Bingo_Sheet_4_Bingo_Variations.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
And here is the folder of music videos I created with associated spreadsheet and playlist contained within. My plan will be to create one of these folders for each different game I create. Took me about an hour to create and compile as I have many genre specific playlists already created for my gigs. It really just takes a bunch of copy and pasting to compile what I have shown below:

Music_Video_Folder.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger
Here is an image of the 25 test game boards I printed out which I put in acetate sheet protectors. That way you can reuse the game sheets if water soluable markers are used on them to cross off each song played. Plan is to cut them in half and make individual game boards instead of two game boards per sheet. The lone sheet printed out in the image is the Drawing Pieces sheet printed out as per screen capture 3 image above:

IMG_20160504_190735.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, I still disagree with your method, but whatever works...

Here are a few thoughts...

You don't need to have the name of the song and the artist on the pages. You can have one or the other and make the font bigger. If you are doing older crowds, they like that. Also just to point out a couple more differences... With the Jukebox Bingo system, you can show the name of the song, or artist up on the screen for the players. For a change of pace, you can have the name scrambled if you like. You can do music, video, trivia or even a picture game. Currently I have 17 different games.

Since time is money to me, the time it takes to make the game helps make the cost worthwhile. IMHO

Attachments

• #chuckthedj_jukebox_bingo_uscg_petaluma (4).JPG
    #chuckthedj_jukebox_bingo_uscg_petaluma (4).JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 11
  • #chuckthedj_jukebox_bingo_uscg_petaluma (6).JPG
    #chuckthedj_jukebox_bingo_uscg_petaluma (6).JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN3154.JPG
    DSCN3154.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN5441.JPG
    DSCN5441.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 13
  • jukebox_bingo_cards_chuckthedj (4).jpg
    jukebox_bingo_cards_chuckthedj (4).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 14
  • jukebox_bingo_scrambled_screen #jukeboxbingo #chuckthedj (2).JPG
    jukebox_bingo_scrambled_screen #jukeboxbingo #chuckthedj (2).JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 12
  • jukeboxbingo-withurl.jpg
    jukeboxbingo-withurl.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11
I guess it depends on how often you offer the game .. seems like it's a mainstay for Chuck and therefore worth the costs to automate the process.

You don't need to have the name of the song and the artist on the pages. You can have one or the other and make the font bigger. If you are doing older crowds, they like that. Also just to point out a couple more differences... With the Jukebox Bingo system, you can show the name of the song, or artist up on the screen for the players. For a change of pace, you can have the name scrambled if you like. You can do music, video, trivia or even a picture game. Currently I have 17 different games.

Since time is money to me, the time it takes to make the game helps make the cost worthwhile. IMHO
Thanks Chuck
All these things I think are easy to do. Not having done Music Bingo before I simply went with some preconceived notions I had which are likely not what is done in practice. With VDJ8 I can easily scroll song names as text across videos on the fly as necessary - I was just going with it as a trivia/Bingo to make it more of a challenge and admittedly may be straying from how the game is normally played not knowing any better - I never was a big Bingo person until this request came along so am not so familiar with how it all goes. I hate saying no which started all this investigating in the first place. To just give it a song name is actually much easier to setup with the bigger font (good point on that). I can also make up my own skookum screen logos similar to your Jukebox bingo one to keep it looking flashy and professional. Graphic design is the simple part - cobbling it all together up front will take some work. I will also gin up some CGI graphics to post on the type of game like you have in the first image. At least now I will have an additional tool in my repetoire...

Last edited:
Now at IOC with FOC estimated in another couple weeks. For those not familiar with military acronyms: IOC = intermediate Operational Capability and FOC = Full Operational Capability.

Now have 7 full Music Video games ready with the following genres:
1. Top Music Video Disco Songs
2. Top Classic Rock Music Video Songs
3. Top Anthem Music Video Songs (Anthems are upbeat tunes like used at major sporting events like hockey games etc)
4. Top Country & Western Music Video Songs
5. Classic Eighties Music Video Songs
6. Classic Nineties Music Video Songs
7. Greatest Dance Hits Music Video Songs

Planned future Genres
- Best Easy Listening
- Best Ballads
- Best Hip Hop
- Best 70's
- Best millennial Songs
- Best Jazz
- Best EDM
- Best Hard Rock/Metal
- Etc

Each one takes about an hour to create (then of course printing time)
TMF

3. Top Anthem Music Video Songs (Anthems are upbeat tunes like used at major sporting events like hockey games etc)

I hope you have the Hartford Whalers' Theme Song .. it's a classic !! (and CT's only major league team and then the only one to leave) :)

Soooo, I did my first Music Video Bingo Gig. To set the stage, my wife and and have been hosting an annual Summer Daiquiri Party at our home for the past 20 years or so. In the past seven or so years I started pulling out all the stops and have been making it a VJ extravaganza which has been wildly popular among our crowd of friends (and now our 20 and 20-something kids and their friends). I really needed a test audience for doing the music video Bingo thing and this was the best opportunity. So I grabbed onto it. I cobbled together a triad of prizes (baggies of cool dollar store items like glow sticks etc plus a bottled mickey beverage in each) and went with a "Classic Rock" theme given the crowd. I explained to everyone that they were to be my guinea pigs. That was a couple of weeks ago and holy crap, my friends haven't stopped talking about it since. It was a resounding success. So much so I have now posted this capability on my web site and will run with it. I already have three Corporate Xmas parties booked and have offered this up as a great way to hand out the myriad of prizes these folks always hand out at that time of year. Will see how it pans out. I was too busy doing the Bingo this year to take my usual vids but here was last year's affair just to set the scene (you will have to fast forward a bit as the vid starts early afternoon:

I have two video catalogs of TV Show Themes,,,, one is older ie: Bonanza, and the other is newer, True Blood etc.... people do like them...

I have two video catalogs of TV Show Themes,,,, one is older ie: Bonanza, and the other is newer, True Blood etc.... people do like them...
What a great idea! I think I will go on a mission to do just that. Thank you! The music part will be easy but finding quality videos will be a challenge. Got a cool one for "The Partridge Family". Also now got me thinking about movie themes....

Last edited:

I ended up going with just song titles in bigger font as suggested. The spreadsheet generator worked absolutely fantastic. I use VDJ playlist and hit "scramble once" a few times to mix up the play order as my random pick generator - equivalent to the ball machine (could do that as well). I also use the playlist and set it to not auto-remove already played songs. That way I have a sequential list of already played songs to verify game winning sheets. My minimum time to play songs is driven by the time it takes the VDJ song to mark a song as having been played (VDJ 8 defaults to 45 seconds but this can easily be set to any value - what do folks usually go with as a reasonable time to play each song?). I run with a full 75 song music video list for each game just to maximize the number of game boards I can print out (unlimited) for big groups (when and if that starts). My test game was about 30+ people so I am looking to go bigger the next go around. I have a string of weddings coming up but won't delve into that as a possibility until my system is more proven in the field. The spreadsheet gives a number of draw options for types of games so I will likely create some graphics to make that more exciting preamble to advertise the type of game being played (see last screen capture in post #26). I have also figured out how todisplay the name of the song or artist or both (this is done with a script in Virtual DJ using the full version of Don Moir's TeleVisuals plugin). I usually just use the built in titles function for ease of use which displays the "artist - song title".

Last edited:
wow,,,, if I had a brain I could understand most of that! LOL.... sounds like you have it down.... the "play time" of each song depends, If I am doing a "Blackout" game, I do 15 seconds to keep the game moving. The first game of the night I want to seem fast and fun, so 20 seconds.... so the middle section of the night, I do 30 seconds... The program is set for a random starting point, which mean it picks where in the song it will start. This is cool because if you are using the same game, or catalog, even if it plays the same song, it will sound a tad different because of where in the song it starts.

But this also depends on the crowd, if they seem like they are into the songs, singing along a lot I will extend it. One thing that the Jukebox Bingo game can do is change the "play time" on the fly, for example, if Cha Cha Slide comes on and people start doing it, I can extend that play time to let them dance the whole song if I want.

The time between songs can also be adjusted and you can pic a image to pop up on screen. If for example that you have a sponsor or advertiser, you can have their ad or logo pop up between each song.