School & Teen Events Music help needed for teen event

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
If it ever happens to you Mix leave your gear in the basement and rent a really good FOH system.....For me to feel comfortable with 3000 that age I'd have 8 of those Yorkie LS800P you have and 16 NX750P then you are getting in to other inherent problems. If you have too much you can turn it down. If you have too little you can't turn it up

Just thought I'd post a few pics from last nights event. This was for DECA(Delta Epsilon Chi and Distributive Education Clubs of America)
All 2946 kids stayed at the hotel explaining why the dance went until almost midnight on a school day. Atleast 2/3 of those kids where in attendance at the dance. I'll admit, this 1 hour 45 minute gig was not my cup of tea but I did enjoy the energy of the room. Just about every time I mixed into a song the crowd screamed so loud it was deafening.

I believe last night went over so well because I did my homework and spent more time researching the music than I did playing it. Prep work is always an important key to any successful event.

Not my gear, I was just a hired gun so this is the best of my knowledge of the equipment used:

Sound:
Mac Book
Denon DN-6000 mixer/controller
3 QSC amps
2 JBL 2-18 subs
2 JBL tops
DBX EQ
DBX driverack

Lights:
HP laptop with lightjockey(I think)
2 Trackspots
2 Data flash
1 Gig bar
1 Laser(don't know type/brand)
and a TON of spin & pukes that I can't name
Elation Antari F-5 Hazer

20160310_1838101.jpg
Host Hotel

20160310_202650.jpg
Just for you Mix. I'm sure some on here will say we didn't have big enough guns but trust me my ears were ringing after gig.

20160310_202407.jpg
Calm before the storm.

20160310_211800.jpg
Testing the lights w/ haze before the gig.

20160310_2202001.jpg
This pic does not even come close to show many peps where in the room.

And NO, Mix was not my photographer, my cell phone just takes crappy pictures.

Last edited:
If it ever happens to you Mix leave your gear in the basement and rent a really good FOH system.....For me to feel comfortable with 3000 that age I'd have 8 of those Yorkie LS800P you have and 16 NX750P then you are getting in to other inherent problems. If you have too much you can turn it down. If you have too little you can't turn it up
I already said what I have isn't good enough. Then there's another issue that hasn't been talked about so. At least up to now. How much would you charge for all of that for 2 hours? I agree that what you mentioned is what would be needed for that large a crowd.

I already said what I have isn't good enough. Then there's another issue that hasn't been talked about so. At least up to now. How much would you charge for all of that for 2 hours? I agree that what you mentioned is what would be needed for that large a crowd.

I have no idea what my friends production company charged for this event. None of my business. All I know is that they provided my transportation, comped my room for 2 nights, gave me a very liberal food per diem, and paid me very, very well. I definitely received the Rockstar treatment.

You tell me?

First off get the idea of 2 hours out of your head that number is unimportant. The least work you will do on a gig like that is the two hours play time. Take in to consideration the rental of gear, the time to pick it up, the time to take it setup and tear down, the time to take it back, the labour involved ( You would need at least one more person if not 2). The way I would do it isn't necessarily the right way, just my way. Paul blew them away with less than what I would use.

Just thought I'd post a few pics from last nights event. This was for DECA(Delta Epsilon Chi and Distributive Education Clubs of America)
All 2946 kids stayed at the hotel explaining why the dance went until almost midnight on a school day. Atleast 2/3 of those kids where in attendance at the dance. I'll admit, this 1 hour 45 minute gig was not my cup of tea but I did enjoy the energy of the room. Just about every time I mixed into a song the crowd screamed so loud it was deafening.

I believe last night went over so well because I did my homework and spent more time researching the music than I did playing it. Prep work is always an important key to any successful event.

Not my gear, I was just a hired gun so this is the best of my knowledge of the equipment used:

Sound:
Mac Book
Denon DN-6000 mixer/controller
3 QSC amps
2 JBL 2-18 subs
2 JBL tops
DBX EQ
DBX driverack

Lights:
HP laptop with lightjockey(I think)
2 Trackspots
2 Data flash
1 Gig bar
1 Laser(don't know type/brand)
and a TON of spin & pukes that I can't name
Elation Antari F-5 Hazer

20160310_1838101.jpg
Host Hotel

20160310_202650.jpg
Just for you Mix. I'm sure some on here will say we didn't have big enough guns but trust my ears were ringing after gig.

20160310_202407.jpg
Calm before the storm.

20160310_211800.jpg
Testing the lights w/ haze before the gig.

20160310_2202001.jpg
This pic does not even come close to show many peps where in the room.

And NO, Mix was not my photographer, my cell phone just takes crappy pictures.

Looks like a great time Paul thanks for sharing. Would you happen to have a playlist?

Reactions: ittigger
Looks like a great time Paul thanks for sharing. Would you happen to have a playlist?

All about the bass Meghan Trainor 67
Hotline Bling Drake 68
GDFR Flo Rida 73
All I do is win DJ Khalaed 75
Lean wit it Dem Franchise Boys 76
Can't hold us Macekmore 73
Black Widow Iggy Azalea 82
Levels Nick Jonas 125
Fireball Pitbull 127
Darkhorse Katy Perry 130
Anaconda Nicki Minaj 130
Watch me Silento 70
Stanky leg G-Spot 77
Work Rihanna 92
Thrift shop Macklemore 95
Lean on Major Lazer 98
Wobble V.I.C. 95
Turn down for what Dj Snake 100
Talk dirty to me Jason Derulo 100
Chris Porter Water Dance 105
I can't feel my face The Weeknd 108
WOP J Dash 112
Uptown funk Bruno Marrs 115
Cake by the ocean DNCE 120
Come get it Bae Pharrell Williams 120
Bulletproof La Raux 122
Can't believe it Flo Rida 124
Don't stop the party Pitbull 127
Sandstorm Darude 136

This is the best I can do from notes, I'm sure I forgot a few.

Thanks Paul great list

My first teen dance ,,, i missed it! It was very tense. I brough alot of TRAP and some RAP and some house and Trance. the teens wanted to hear stuff that i heard on the Radio on the way to the Gig. I can tell you that all of the line dances were good! I started off with the older CHA-CHA slide, then Cupid shuffle, they even liked Footloose. then i go to the WAP, then Wobble, then i do a song called Haterz by Keith Frank (not many people have to dj Zydeco, but in south Louisiana!) then Whip ,,,, and then the all time favorite requst at every show now is............................... Hit the Quan! which throws my woofers into a frenzy with its sub 20 hits!

Hit the Quan,,,,, crazy lil tune,,,, hated it the first time last year. now i think it is pretty good. I started this thing at Mardi gras party! i got sme SWAG from the place i was Dj'n for ( t-shirts and other Junk) it really doesn't matter how cheap it is! I did a Hit the quan CONTEST and a WHIP CONTEST..... and i got some kids to judge!!!!! it gave me a chance to really interact by making crazy comments without offending anyone. It got SOOOOOO many people to start dancing,,,, we almost collapsed the wooden deck at the buisness! then the dance floor was packed for the rest of the day! it kinda broke the ice!

Reactions: steve149
I played some current hits last week at a teen/tween party. The kids got on the dance floor and knew the songs, but they didn't really dance to current hits. A lot of these songs are slower BPM that I wouldn't dance too! Played a request "call me maybe" and they all danced and sang along. From there I went to biggest dance hits from 2015,14,13 etc. with good results.

Yea! i noticed that ,,,,,, they like songs that they know. Not really dance songs! like Stitches and the Hills. stitches is pretty good,,,,, the Hills SUCK
I have to admit i really like the new music ,,,,, some Crap Rap gets on my nerves,,,,,hate alot of RAP that is,,,, all they talk about are how rich they are and Butts,,,, and you cant really dance to the $h1t.

what ever happend to Sugar hill gang,,,, beastie boys, Run dmc, I used to like Nucleus! i try to still play it,,,,, you can tell the 50 somethings out there when they hear JAM ON IT!

Reactions: steve149 and BryanK
I have an upcoming gig in a large room where we'll be using 2 Yamaha S215 speakers, 2 B52 dual 15's and 4 earthquakes. Can anybody give me a guess as to how many people do you think that setup would be good for. My guess would be 500 people. I could be wrong but that's just my wild guess.

I have an upcoming gig in a large room where we'll be using 2 Yamaha S215 speakers, 2 B52 dual 15's and 4 earthquakes. Can anybody give me a guess as to how many people do you think that setup would be good for. My guess would be 500 people. I could be wrong but that's just my wild guess.
Depends on a lot of things ... DO you have 500 people coming? With your gear, not sure how you could do better than a pair of the DSRs and a pair of the Yorkvilles. Pairing B52s and Earthquakes will be a challenge, since one is horn loaded and the other isn't .. make sure you have correct delays.

Reactions: Jeff Romard

What amps are you powering them with? What service are you using 110V or 220V? If it's 110 do you have separate circuits? How big is the room?. There are really too many variables to give a correct answer but properly amped, crossed over, and delayed in a reasonable room you could probably go as high as 1000 safely