Need a prom playlist

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rickryan.com

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Dec 9, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.rickryan.com
I have my first prom of the season, this Saturday, and the sponsor didn't get our song request link posted. I've still got the material from last year but would anybody care to chime in on what's working with this year's batch of kids? Man, I'm getting rusty on this DJ end of things.

I will try and post one. I have 3 proms and another school dance in April and all of the schools have different tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed the same thing. Main thing I'm trying to find is what are THE hot cuts running this year? Seems like it's always a half-dozen or so that really have to be played or you just ain't cool.

Mo Bounce by Iggy Azalea may be a big hit this prom. The beat is easy to dance to and has a mix of electronic and hip hop flow. Terrible song but probably good for high school dances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closer by Chainsmokers I would think is still going to be a smash for the teens singing along to it.

Honestly, most of the music that came out this year is crap music for actual dancing. More downbeat listening stuff.

I am sure Starboy will be requested, but it's real down beat. I actually had 50 to 65 year olds request this song at a Yacht Club formal, and had like 40 of them dancing to it on the dance floor...I was scratching my head at that. Just confusing.

Ed Sheeran - Shape of You was actually a HUGE request at the wedding I just did. The new Drake - Passionfruit will probably be requested. It has "F*** that shit" and play this "MotherF****" in it like 8 times lol...Just start the song at the 1:00 point to pass the foul language and intro. It sounds more like a listening song to me, but kids these days have weird tastes. Most of this music just isn't dance music imo...more listening type stuff.

Bruno Mars - That's what I like is a good song...not as good as Uptown Funk, but it's catchy

Is it a regular thing to have to get a set list approved prior to an event? I have never dealt with one.

I've always assume that the client who hired me believes I know what tracks will work when.

Is it a regular thing to have to get a set list approved prior to an event? I have never dealt with one.

I've always assume that the client who hired me believes I know what tracks will work when.

Schools are super finicky. Depending on the administration they might be VERY strict on music, and others let quite a bit fly. I'm doing my first prom in maaaany years next week actually, and I'm a bit nervous about it. I've been listening to sets on MixCloud and making notes of songs that I think are school appropriate and will work.

I've never provided a school a set list ahead of time, but it's not a crazy thing to do. If they sign off on the music ahead of time, there can't be any question about whether they understood what they were in for. However, as a DJ, it would frustrate me to not be able to move spontaneously through a list when I have ideas on the fly.

Reactions: DJ TJ and ittigger

Any more, I will not let school officials dictate a playlist. Problem is, they won't drop it on you until a week before the event (yes, it should be addressed up front in your contract that you maintain control). At this point, I'll actually call the sponsor or the principal (whoever made the rule) and tell them (politely of course), "No, I will not run your preset playlist. You can either fire me or let me work." Dictated playlists are a guaranteed no-win situation IMHO. If you run the list and make the admin happy, the kids think you suck and gripe about you to the admin. Either way, it's frustration and you won't be invited back.

Reactions: DJ TJ and maestro
If it's a big hit, topping the charts and playing on the radio, in a clean edit form and the schools haven't petitioned the station to get them to stop playing it, it is most likely that I will play it. Sounds like you guys deal with a lot of righteous bastards across the border, that have no problem casting the first stone, so to speak. In my experience, they are always the biggest freaks! The admin at the schools I deejay for simply want me to ROCK their students while maintaining control and do so in a professional manner. I'm with Rick, let me work or fire my asss!