New EV

Discussion in 'The Big Show' started by tunes4046, Aug 8, 2017.

1. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

I'm in a similar position .. trying to lighten my "load" given a partially herniated disc. Sold off my large system (Yorkville Unity) and working on my mid size system. The RCF EVOX 8 I bought has been great. I use it for most things (except outdoor events where I need a tighter pattern coverage). It's less than 50 pounds for the bass unit and the top together. I would like another similar/smaller set and maybe these EV are it. The JBL were fine, sounded good, but looked a little "plasticky" (if that's a thing).

Handinon and DJ Bobcat like this.
  2. Handinon

Handinon DJ Extraordinaire

There is hope for us Ol'Geezers yet, where lighter is better -

[​IMG]
    This is the price per Kg of Neodymium. It is actually down to around $40/Kg now, from the $400/Kg peak in 2011. That peak is what killed using Neo magnets in many DJ speakers. It may take a while for it to get back in the "food chain", but it will.

3. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

My JBL PRX612 is almost 10 pounds lighter than the PRX 712 that followed because mine were neo before they went back to ferrite due to the spike.

Handinon likes this.
  4. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

BillESC likes this.
  5. DJ Ricky B

DJ Ricky B DJ Extraordinaire

Altos have 1 inch Neo Magnets in them...and are also less expensive

I will say that the Tweeters are a weak link in the 2 series speakers though. The replacement costs like $34.99 online. Which means factory cost was likely around $15 per unit. They would not have been able to produce these speakers in the $250 to $350 map range back in 2011 though.

6. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

Yes .. But they're Altos !! :)

7. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

BTW, looks like the new EV Evolve will sell above the $1500 mark (List $2150), putting it with the EVOX 8 and the Bose L1S speakers. Was hoping it would be closer to the JBL Eon One (under $1K). Unless there is some special "pre-release" pricing at the DJ Expo, it looks like I'll be looking for other things to spend money on.

DJ Bobcat and dunlopj like this.
  8. DJ Bobcat

DJ Bobcat A New Kind Of Poop

I'm with you on that ($$$). Too much money. Why would you buy the EV, when you can get the EVOX for less. Does the EV have some outstanding feature that separates it from the Bose or RCF? I think JBL is priced right. If I'm choosing among equals... EV would be my 3rd choice just because Bose and RCF are generally higher end brands IMO.

Why are you even considering them; you already have the EVOX 8's?

9. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

It has a better mixing section than the EVOX and Bluetooth, important to some. The EVOX packs smaller, but I suppose if these sound better, it may be an alternative. Hope to hear it next week.

10. DJ TJ

DJ TJ DJ Extraordinaire

And this new EV also has phantom power which is absent in the EVOX, L1 Compact (unless you add the tone match unit), and EON One (the Eon Pro does).

11. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

I'm not sure I have ever run either of my systems without a mixer fronting it, but maybe all the features (including phantom power) are important to some. I think it's ugly enough having 2 cables running up to a speaker .. I'd hate to see 5. :)

I think if I were a live performer, then the mixer section is important, but for me, a single input and some basic DSP is sufficient.

DJ Bobcat likes this.
  12. BlueLineDJ

BlueLineDJ DJ Extraordinaire

13. Scott Hanna

Scott Hanna DJ Extraordinaire

Some pretty cool features here. Intrigued.

ittigger likes this.
  14. prodjay

prodjay DJ Extraordinaire

What if you needed to move the tops up or down due to a particular set up like up on a stage or down below audience level?

ittigger likes this.
  15. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

To go higher, you put blocks under the bass unit .. lower gets a bit more destructive .. :)

Actually, the bottom 2 drivers are angled downwards to cover close in listeners.

DJ Bobcat and ittigger like this.
  16. Handinon

I'm waiting to see a true independent lab comparison of the sound of these new systems. All of them, including Evox, EV, LD Maui 11, and Bose.
    SPL, distortion, dispersion, frequency response, etc.. Hard, scientific numbers.

I'm also waiting for a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport to magically appear in my driveway.

DJ Bobcat, steve149 and ittigger like this.
  17. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

The Bugatti is probably a safer bet. Can't even get independent results on regular tops and subs. Occasionally, there is a "shootout" from the live sound world (like these - http://www.peachstateaudio.com/downloads/PAPSSO.pdf and RCF,EV,QSC,YAMAHA,Behringer Speaker Shoot Out | Serato.com ) but no one wants to piss off advertisers.

ittigger, DJ Bobcat and Handinon like this.
  18. Handinon

It is just amazing that in "the information age" you have only "seat of the pants" observations to use when dropping $5K+ on a full range dual stereo PA system. Many people would do more research on a toaster, like Consumer's Reports. Like you said, I'm sure this is just the way the manufacturers want it.

ittigger and steve149 like this.
  19. steve149

steve149 Urbane Legend

I'd love a "CR speaker test", but the HiFi world has been that way since I got interested in the 70s. Unless someone enforces a universal standard like they try to do with food labeling, we'll continue to get 2000 watt $89 speakers from Technical HiFi.

A start would be 20-20K response +/- 3db, instead of the myriad of options today.

DJ TJ, ittigger and Handinon like this.
  20. Handinon

There is probably not an easily portable mobile DJ system in the whole world, at any price, that can do that 20Hz at -3db response!

ittigger and steve149 like this.