No Voice using Google Maps

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dunlopj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 14, 2008
Belair MD
I've gone on Google forums with no luck, so I thought I'd try here.

When I use Google Maps in my car, I have no voice readout of the directions.

Yet if I try it in my house, I hear the voice guidance.

Any idea why it does not have the voice guidance in my car?

Reactions: ittigger
Sounds more like a setting in the Android Auto feature of your car if you are linking to the car ... OR ... an issue with bluetooth. If you're not using the Car Play apps, then try turning off BT on the phone .. if it works, then there is a BT connection issue.

Sounds more like a setting in the Android Auto feature of your car if you are linking to the car ... OR ... an issue with bluetooth. If you're not using the Car Play apps, then try turning off BT on the phone .. if it works, then there is a BT connection issue.

Thanks Steve...I will try this. There are no "car play apps" in my car.

let me guess, you have your phone plugged into the usb port cable when you have no voice on google?

If that is the case, switch your stereo to blutooth instead of CD, radio, etc.

Another solution if you want to listen to the radio at the same time is to NOT use the USB port, and use an 12v adapter to usb. You will then hear the google voice via blutooth as it should interrupt your radio, although it is not plugged into a data connection, so you don't have to be on blutooth audio on your car the whole time.

Reactions: dunlopj
On Google maps, once you've put in your address and it's navigating, swipe up from bottom, select settings, select"play voice over Bluetooth. If that doesn't work, select play as Bluetooth phonecall.

Might be slightly different on an Android, as these directions are for iPhone

Steve and Scott, thank you for the tips.

Here's the latest. I turned off blue tooth as Steve suggested and it worked playing the voice through the phone's speaker.

But I'm still not sure why when the BT is connected, I cannot hear any voices (please, no jokes :) ).

And the volume is on high on the phone, app and the radio...

The only thing I can think of is the other GPS live traffic app I have on my phone - Sygic - may be interfering.

But that app does play their voice through the radio using BT ...strange....

Instead of Google Maps, I use Waze .. and it will turn down the volume on the radio but the voice will not come through the radio. I'm ok with that because I usually have the phone turned way up when I'm using GPS anyways. It has to do with how the App accesses BT features.

Instead of Google Maps, I use Waze .. and it will turn down the volume on the radio but the voice will not come through the radio. I'm ok with that because I usually have the phone turned way up when I'm using GPS anyways. It has to do with how the App accesses BT features.

A number of the outside sales people in our office use that app. BUT it uses a ton of data and makes your phone run really hot.

I'm OK with the voice over the phone's speaker, although I'd prefer through the radio like Sygic does.

As I normally have the radio turned up, it does make it hard to hear said voice.

Truthfully, I haven't noticed a data issue or a heat issue (Samsung Galaxy S6). I use it pretty much daily.

I use Waze a lot too. No issues that I know of.

The thing I like about Google maps is the offline maps. So I can download maps so if I get into a place with no cell service, my phone will still work with the GPS. Waze, owned by Google doesn't have this feature yet.
Apple maps continues to get better

I've been using Apple maps in my Explorer, since it has Apple Car Play (or whatever they call it) and the maps on the phone are displayed on the 8" LCD monitor in the car. Not much need for a Nav system these days.