Weddings Parking valet officiates wedding after snow closes court

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

dunlopj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 14, 2008
Belair MD
Another reason to maybe get ordained...

A parking valet saved the wedding day of a Fells Point couple this week when he officiated their ceremony after snow shut down the courthouse.

Megan Peterson, 29, and Tim Christofield, 33, had planned to get married at the Anne Arundel County Circuit Court in Annapolis on Tuesday, but the courthouse, like most places, was shut down because of the area's heaviest snow of the season.

The couple had been planning the wedding for months, and their parents had traveled in from out of state for the ceremony.

“This was kind of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to have everybody together and get it done,” Christofield, a bartender at One-Eyed Mike’s in Fells Point, said.

The couple was undeterred Tuesday morning when they learned the courthouse was closed. The bride got her hair and makeup done while the groom and his father looked for an alternative spot to hold the wedding.

They sought advice from the Loews Hotel Annapolis' front desk staff, who said the hotel’s valet, Steve Patterson, was an ordained minister. The Bowie resident is the leader of a youth fellowship.

The couple, who had met and chatted with Patterson the night before, asked Patterson to officiate. He agreed -- but needed to wait until his shift ended at 3 p.m.

Patterson, who had performed one other wedding, called his wife and asked her to send him a copy of their vows, which he adapted for the couple.

A few hours later, he officiated the couple's wedding in their hotel suite, which staffers had decorated with candles and flowers and a spread of cheese and crackers and champagne.

“We were really quite excited about the courthouse wedding, and it became so much more intimate when it turned into being in our hotel room," said Peterson, an employee of international health nonprofit Jhpiego.

The couple decided they preferred the coziness of the hotel to venturing out in the snow for a fancy dinner. They canceled their restaurant reservations, ordered dinner to be delivered, and hunkered down in their hotel room with their parents.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...-court-20140124,0,6276530.story#ixzz2rLYRBPGU

Reactions: drzinc and ittigger
I don't know where you stand on this but I've seriously considered getting an ordination from one of those websites. I had a wedding in Birmingham a few years back where the minister had actually forgotten he had a wedding to perform. 25 minutes before the event finally asked the groom "Where's your minister?" The guy literally walked in, 2 minutes before vow time. While I certainly don't want to be an officiant, it does seem like it's pretty easy to at least be legally viable to perform the task, if the situation ever calls for it. Where do you guys stand on it?

You can be a JP a lot easier. In many towns, it's just a matter of submitting your name to the Town Clerk (depending on how many slots are open).

edit .. I did a quick Google and see that TN is one of the states that doesn't recognize a Justice of the Peace as a marrying agent.

Themonastery.org is probably the most widely-used, ordain anybody, websites around. It took me all of 2 minutes to ordain my cat, "Miss Puss'n Boots". It was another one of my hair-brained schemes that never quite worked out. Something about advertising "Let my pussy marry you" just never quite worked. :embarrassed:

Reactions: tunes4046
That's the website I used I mention to all of my couple who are not having a church wedding, doesn't really get me any gigs but it gives them a little peace of mind.