People say just finish the website.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I'm making this thread because I feel it's time. Hopefully I can get my friend later on today so we can get it finished. Like I've stated before I'm not a computer wiz. He is for sure. It's funny to me about a website because when I first became a DJ people hardly used the web and now you have DJs with websites and doing so many other things on the web that were never thought of when I first started in 81.

My issues with this website is what should be the content in it such as titles for the different sections. What to call them? What should be in them? For example I'm torn between having a page listing prices or not. I know that's a hot topic. Just not sure which way to go. Also how to get it placed on a front page online instead of it showing up on the fourth or fifth page somewhere. I really hate I don't have a lot of nice pictures to put up on the website as well. Mainly what's on the front page is it. Some of those pictures are from years ago. Well there you have it. I guess you could say I'm nervous about what to do.

I'm making this thread because I feel it's time. Hopefully I can get my friend later on today so we can get it finished. Like I've stated before I'm not a computer wiz. He is for sure. It's funny to me about a website because when I first became a DJ people hardly used the web and now you have DJs with websites and doing so many other things on the web that were never thought of when I first started in 81.

My issues with this website is what should be the content in it such as titles for the different sections. What to call them? What should be in them? For example I'm torn between having a page listing prices or not. I know that's a hot topic. Just not sure which way to go. Also how to get it placed on a front page online instead of it showing up on the fourth or fifth page somewhere. I really hate I don't have a lot of nice pictures to put up on the website as well. Mainly what's on the front page is it. Some of those pictures are from years ago. Well there you have it. I guess you could say I'm nervous about what to do.
There's lots of DJ websites out there .. look around, study them, take some notes and keep it simple. There is no right or wrong way .. other than making it a place people can get the information they want and you can use to help in marketing.

And it's better to tell us this AFTER you've finished it. :)

There's lots of DJ websites out there .. look around, study them, take some notes and keep it simple. There is no right or wrong way .. other than making it a place people can get the information they want and you can use to help in marketing.

And it's better to tell us this AFTER you've finished it. :)
Thanks Steve.

It seem like when have had this discussion with dozens of times Mix, just get it done, why do you need everything from the past repeated to you

Reactions: sonic-vision
I agree, not many people using the Web in '81:)

As far as your website, what image are you trying to present?

If you don't have good pictures, get some. Get someone to take them if you can't

Think about protecting an image that truly shows the strengths you can provide and how they will benefit customers.

Try not to be everything to everyone, but target what your core customers want

I would call a number of people that you believe would be ideal customers. Ask them what information they believe is important. How important is seeing prices to make them decide to call.

You may want to have something as simple as..pricing starting at $xxxx

Make sure your phone number is easy to see and in multiple places so people finding your site on a smart phone can easily see it and click on it.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
How you view a website can get in your head.

It's marketing to make the phone ring - think business card, brochure. Keep it simple.

"I am mix..teh DJ!"
you can have one simple page - better than nothing on the web.
Split it into pages - 'weddings' - list why you are the best choice for weddings, a pic or two of past weddings. Same for whatever else you sell, or WANT to sell - 'party' - backyard, reunions, hs graduation, holiday, etc. School dances - mention what is important to the person looking for a dj - like 'clean songs' or similar words.

HAVE CONTACT INFO ON EVERY PAGE!!
Maybe an 'about me' page "i love music since i was a wee kid, been a dj for 30 seconds, i mean, 150 years now..." etc.

most don't care about gear but you mention "I have multiple systems suited to small to large groups, wireless mics, lighting" etc.

I have pricing..for better or worse. My philosophy is how do I use the web? to find stuff, get info and PRICES. If I want to buy something and there's no price..i'm moving to some site that has it. People today don't want to be bothered to call for a price quote.

Ideally something onliine like the insurance companies do would be great "size of crowd" "type of event" "date (sat vs a tues in feb), etc and then it would spit out a price. But that's gonna be more web work than you want to do now.

How did you make out Mix?

I made our first website in one day. I was tired of waiting for my father, brother, and sister to get around to getting a website up. They were always "getting in touch with a website guy" to create the site for them. After like a year of nothing getting done, I took it upon myself to purchase the domain from GoDaddy then purchase hosting space, and purchase the website editor. I started working on the website, and had the site up in a matter of hours. This was years ago..I think it was 2007. For a while we had a single page with just our bios and some pictures on there. I think in 2009 is when I went to a multiple page set up.

Finally...we had an outlet to officially display our DJ business outside of relying on talent agents, and word of mouth.

Stop waiting. Stop overthinking. Watch an Alan Berg seminar about websites, then pay someone to build a website for you. Easy peasy.

My new site launched this week... the first one since 1999 that I didn't build myself.... www.southcoastdj.com

I sent my friend an email discussing things with him about our website. I checked out a few others and came up with some ideas. Don't know if they would work or not but they are things I liked. He's in South Jersey right now as he and his mother are preparing to move there in a couple of months he said. So he said he would work on the site while he was there.

I looked back at our site and noticed a few things. The events page has just has some stuff on it. Nothing about the type of events we do. Also there is a News page which needs to be deleted and something else put in it's place. I want a gallery page. Also a FAQ page as well. On that page one of the things I want to stress is for clients not to look to book a DJ on price alone. Make it more about finding the right DJ for the event they are having. Certainly need a contact us page. Also I like the check availability thing I see on some websites as well. I see some sites that have a thing for existing clients to log in. What is that all about? Why have that on a website?

I also mentioned a thing showing people that they can pay by CC if they like. I like that feature because not everybody feels comfortable just sending someone a check they don't know for fear the person will cash the check and be a no show. That's because of a lot of scams out here today.

I told him I wanted the events page to list the type of events we do and a brief summary of what we would do at each different event. Nothing too long as I learned most people don't care to read anything to long and drawn out. I'm torn as to having a list of our prices on the site. I think it's a good ideal because it will scare off the tire kickers as we call them. It would say our starting price is this depending on the type of event they are having. k close to your starting price or they will run. Let me give an example. Let's say the starting price for a particular event is $500 and after finding out of what the client wants that jumps the price up to say $800. How many of you feel that would scare a person off? Just looking for some feed back because I just don't want to give all this stuff away just to get a booking.

Also what about for now using stock photos from online for now because I don't have a lot of quality photos at this time to put on the gallery page? Basically what you see on the home page is it. What are your thoughts? And thanks for those who say the home page is nice looking because I was wondering about that.

People here have built one for him - he refused to accept it.

people have invited him to an expo & free dinner - He refused to except nor call & say I'm not going to make it as you all ready knew would happen!

Reactions: ittigger
people have invited him to an expo & free dinner - He refused to except nor call & say I'm not going to make it as you all ready knew would happen!
I did make it. Read my post in that section. I made it but only had 40 minutes left for the actual Expo. I wasn't going to spend $90 for 40 minutes. That would have been crazy don't you think? I didn't have the proper money to pay the $170 to go to the speaker sessions and parties. So I left. I didn't know the actual Expo was to be from 12-6pm. I'm thinking it was going to last much later then that. I didn't know. It was my first time there. Now I know. End of story.

I sent my friend an email discussing things with him about our website. I checked out a few others and came up with some ideas. Don't know if they would work or not but they are things I liked. He's in South Jersey right now as he and his mother are preparing to move there in a couple of months he said. So he said he would work on the site while he was there.

I looked back at our site and noticed a few things. The events page has just has some stuff on it. Nothing about the type of events we do. Also there is a News page which needs to be deleted and something else put in it's place. I want a gallery page. Also a FAQ page as well. On that page one of the things I want to stress is for clients not to look to book a DJ on price alone. Make it more about finding the right DJ for the event they are having. Certainly need a contact us page. Also I like the check availability thing I see on some websites as well. I see some sites that have a thing for existing clients to log in. What is that all about? Why have that on a website?

I also mentioned a thing showing people that they can pay by CC if they like. I like that feature because not everybody feels comfortable just sending someone a check they don't know for fear the person will cash the check and be a no show. That's because of a lot of scams out here today.

I told him I wanted the events page to list the type of events we do and a brief summary of what we would do at each different event. Nothing too long as I learned most people don't care to read anything to long and drawn out. I'm torn as to having a list of our prices on the site. I think it's a good ideal because it will scare off the tire kickers as we call them. It would say our starting price is this depending on the type of event they are having. k close to your starting price or they will run. Let me give an example. Let's say the starting price for a particular event is $500 and after finding out of what the client wants that jumps the price up to say $800. How many of you feel that would scare a person off? Just looking for some feed back because I just don't want to give all this stuff away just to get a booking.

Also what about for now using stock photos from online for now because I don't have a lot of quality photos at this time to put on the gallery page? Basically what you see on the home page is it. What are your thoughts? And thanks for those who say the home page is nice looking because I was wondering about that.

I think you should go back and read the other posts that discussed this exact same thing.

Maybe not, but you DID have Steve's number and pretty much, disrespected him.

Also, SEVERAL times, people posted the hours of the Expo.
What happened like I said I thought I had stored his number in my phone and for some reason I didn't.

What happened like I said I thought I had stored his number in my phone and for some reason I didn't.
Sorry I did have it. I just missed seeing it. Damn it! I didn't mean any disrespect to him at all or the group here. I wanted to meet him so I wouldn't take the beating I'm getting now. And trust me that's not funny at all. I'm having a bad day today period! I want to crawl in a hole today and never come out.

Sorry I did have it. I just missed seeing it. Damn it! I didn't mean any disrespect to him at all or the group here. I wanted to meet him so I wouldn't take the beating I'm getting now. And trust me that's not funny at all. I'm having a bad day today period! I want to crawl in a hole today and never come out.

If you wanted to meet him, you could have made the effort to check your phone.

I'm not sure what crawling in a hole would accomplish - other than missing out on more things.

Last edited: