Please pray for me at this Saturday's gig that all goes well.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I have a gig to do this coming Saturday that will be at the Westwood in Garwood, NJ from 2-6pm. It's my best friends brother's 60th birthday celebration. The cost to attend is $60 and that's with a 2 hour open bar. That doesn't make any sense to me considering he and his wife are supposed to be ministers. It's his event and he can do what he wants.

I just texted his sister last night while at an event about having him get back to me with more details about the music. So far all I got is at 5pm he wants line dance songs. He called me telling me he had a lot planned for this event. I don't know all he has planned. I hope he realizes this event is only 4 hours and it's over. More then likely they won't allow it to go into over time. I've been to this place once before. Very nice place. High class for sure.

I normally wouldn't make such a thread. I did this time because I know his brother personally. He can be a big drama queen. I just hope he can relax and take it easy at the event. Just look to have big fun and let me do my job. He had us come and do a fashion show at the Robert Treat Hotel in downtown Newark, NJ and he was getting on both our nerves. He finally realized he was being too dramatic and apologized for his behavior.

I guess him not contacting me about what other music he wants for this event has to do with how long he has known me and all the events he has attended over the years that I've done. So he's not worried. I'm not worried that much. I just worry about his attitude the day of.

How much is this gig paying? More bootleg birthday parties in your area. I think its funny as hell that people where you are charge money for people to attend their birthday parties.
No class.

Also, why do you put yourself in these situations that cause you stress? And most likely your doing it for close to free. Have you ever had a gig that went smooth from start to finish with no drama?

Last edited:
I hope for your sake that it goes well. But given the lack of information you have about your client's wishes... color me skeptical.

If he doesn't let you know what he wants, it may not be a vote of confidence. It may be that you haven't effectively communicated what you need to do a good job for him. If you haven't let him know what your requirements are, how could he know what to provide you?

I also hope you know what room you're in, and how much they are using. It looks like that hotel has a space as large as 12,000 square feet... which is massive. Robert Treat Hotel | Weddings

Good luck!

Mix .. It would seem that this is a relatively easy party. I agree with the thoughts above that your contract would have spelled out the hours and what is expected. Certainly there can be some last minute additions, but it doesn't seem like it will be that tough to manage.

And I think God has better prayers to answer than making a gig go well.

I have a gig to do this coming Saturday that will be at the Westwood in Garwood, NJ from 2-6pm. It's my best friends brother's 60th birthday celebration. The cost to attend is $60 and that's with a 2 hour open bar. That doesn't make any sense to me considering he and his wife are supposed to be ministers. It's his event and he can do what he wants.

I've never understood this - I swear, it's a New Jersey thing to charge admission to someone's birthday party. Where I'm from, we invite people because we want them to be there; there's no admission charge, but there's not usually an open bar, either.

I just texted his sister last night while at an event about having him get back to me with more details about the music. So far all I got is at 5pm he wants line dance songs.

We know this is not your first rodeo. so don't tell me you don't know the songs that make people hustle, cha-cha, step, etc. You've taken enough pictures of people dancing at other events that you should know what songs get them moving, so play what gets them on their feet and roll with it. They know what styles of music you like to play. They wouldn't have hired you if they wanted Mariachi, Country, or Polka.

He called me telling me he had a lot planned for this event. I don't know all he has planned. I hope he realizes this event is only 4 hours and it's over. More then likely they won't allow it to go into over time. I've been to this place once before. Very nice place. High class for sure.

Doesn't matter if it's 2 hours, 4 hours or 10 hours - you're the DJ, so rock the party. Don't sweat over what you don't know.

I normally wouldn't make such a thread. I did this time because I know his brother personally. He can be a big drama queen. I just hope he can relax and take it easy at the event. Just look to have big fun and let me do my job. He had us come and do a fashion show at the Robert Treat Hotel in downtown Newark, NJ and he was getting on both our nerves. He finally realized he was being too dramatic and apologized for his behavior.

I guess him not contacting me about what other music he wants for this event has to do with how long he has known me and all the events he has attended over the years that I've done. So he's not worried. I'm not worried that much. I just worry about his attitude the day of.

Maybe we should pray for him instead of you.

Well... don't sell God short.[emoji1] He's an excellent multi-tasker, and He DOES answer prayers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this year he is a bit back-logged, so I would stick with prayers for others.

I just texted his sister last night while at an event about having him get back to me with more details about the music. So far all I got is at 5pm he wants line dance songs. He called me telling me he had a lot planned for this event. I don't know all he has planned. I hope he realizes this event is only 4 hours and it's over. More then likely they won't allow it to go into over time. I've been to this place once before. Very nice place. High class for sure.

This isn't an event that requires a lot of planning and it isn't your first day you've been in this business since the early 80's. Go in read the crowd and play the music

How much is this gig paying? More bootleg birthday parties in your area. I think its funny as hell that people where you are charge money for people to attend their birthday parties.
No class.

At least this one has an open bar anyone with ambition can drink $60 worth in 4 hours ;)

Also, why do you put yourself in these situations that cause you stress? And most likely your doing it for close to free. Have you ever had a gig that went smooth from start to finish with no drama?

He enjoys the drama

I hope for your sake that it goes well. But given the lack of information you have about your client's wishes... color me skeptical.

If he doesn't let you know what he wants, it may not be a vote of confidence. It may be that you haven't effectively communicated what you need to do a good job for him. If you haven't let him know what your requirements are, how could he know what to provide you?

I also hope you know what room you're in, and how much they are using. It looks like that hotel has a space as large as 12,000 square feet... which is massive. Robert Treat Hotel | Weddings

Good luck!
The job should be easy itself. The issue is with his brother. Like I said I hope he pulls back and relaxes. Al the place is the Westwood. It's a very nice banquet hall and I already went there to see what the room as like. It's a small room. So not much sound will be needed. It just amazes me how some of you haven't come out of the stone ages. You haven't heard of people paying to come to a special birthday celebration? This celebration is not taking place in some hole in the wall spot. Some aren't like you guys that have 50k to spend to have people come to their birthday celebration. I went to a surprise 50th birthday celebration. The place where it was at was a nice place. Just not a fancy catering hall where you have people serving you appetizers in formal wear. Like I said he may have too much planned that can't be fit in within the 4 hour time limit. Well I'll be there just doing my job. It should be a fun event since a lot of people attending should be people I already know. I know some of the family members will be there. Me and my best friend have been friends for 48 years. We became friends in the 4th grade. He was 9 and me 10.

I read the posting. Then reread it. Shook my head a couple of times just in case I had some personal filters blocking the input.
He finally realized he was being too dramatic...
Methinks there's more than one drama major in the post.

You haven't heard of people paying to come to a special birthday celebration?

I've had friends host their birthday party at a bar where it was a cash bar... And, I've had friends do a birthday at a bowling alley where it was like $20 to bowl... but no, I've never seen anyone I know charge a cover or an entrance fee for a birthday party. Maybe it is common among your friends, but that definitely isn't a universal practice. I've also been DJing professionally for 16 years and haven't ever seen a client do it either.

Mix, I just threw a Sweet 16 for my daughter and after the hall food ect I spent about 10k and guess what I didn't charge anyone to come to it because it is the tackiest thing in the world. if you have to charge people to come to your party then do not have a party.