Portable power

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Being a mobile (emphasis on mobile), there are many innovative workarounds to provide electricity to areas not served by commercial power.

Consider the first and most critical of all the criteria:
1) clean, inverted, electronic friendly power;
then
2) power output ratings at 50% - 60% of max draw needs;
3) quiet;
4) easy set and strike;
5) minimal transport space requirements;
6) minimal maintenance.

Having tried most of the aforementioned suggestions, I landed on the Honda EU2000. Of course, the best overall solution seems to always be the most expensive.

I am renting the Honda to local DJs at $50/day who, like most folks here, only need it once a year. 18 rentals paid for itself.

(Note: To keep maintenance costs down to annual oil changes and not much more, always use ethanol-free gasoline. Two pulls is all I ever need with the Honda using 91 ethanol-free gas. Before, it would make me wonder if it would ever start after 6 to 7 months of inactivity)

last night I experimented with an American Audio Els Go 15bt battery powered speaker they actually have a 12 volt out put on them I ran an inverter from that source to power a wireless mic set up, It worked very very well,

Reactions: Cap Capello
Hey, tunes4046, great information. What size inverter and how long did it last before fading out?

I am renting the Honda to local DJs at $50/day who, like most folks here, only need it once a year. 18 rentals paid for itself.

(Note: To keep maintenance costs down to annual oil changes and not much more, always use ethanol-free gasoline. Two pulls is all I ever need with the Honda using 91 ethanol-free gas. Before, it would make me wonder if it would ever start after 6 to 7 months of inactivity)

That's what spooked me from owning. I bought an EU2000, and let it sit up a few months (without fuel stabilizer). When I tried to crank it the morning of the gig, it wouldn't start. I ended up draining the fuel and got it cranked, shortly before it was time to leave for the gig. That pushed me late getting there and I made the mistake of leaving the choke on. The unit ran for a while then died during dinner. I re-cranked it, without fixing my mistake of leaving the choke on, and the bride came up and barked about wanting the first dance after the next song. The generator died, mid-song on the First Dance. After that experience, I've been spooked on generator gigs where I'm responsible for supplying the generator. So far, I've been able to convince them all to pay a rental place for a proper generator. Maybe it's time I re-think it and buy again. I think if I do buy, I may seriously consider that Energizer 2800 watt unit. I believe it's run time, at typical load, will be more like 10 hours.

last night I experimented with an American Audio Els Go 15bt battery powered speaker they actually have a 12 volt out put on them I ran an inverter from that source to power a wireless mic set up, It worked very very well,
Most wireless mics use a 12v input, so no need to use an inverter .. just need a cable with the right coaxial power connector (and polarity) and something to connect to the 12v out (possibly a similar connector).

I have an Anchor Liberty battery powered speaker that has a 12v power outlet and I rigged up a cable (using components from parts-express) to run an Audio-Technica 3000 series receiver directly from it without an inverter.

Energizer 2800 watt unit. I believe it's run time, at typical load, will be more like 10 hours.

Did a quick look at this unit. If'n I was you, the next size up (with the handle and rolling wheels and more power) would be a better choice for the long haul (literally, a long haul like through beach sand or grass or gravel by pulling it thus leaving the other hand free to carry something else).

Good catch on that Energized, RickRyan.com. My only initial concern was for the noise level which seems a bit higher than "conversation" as they state. The big plus is an electric start? That's wildly attractive.

Did a quick look at this unit. If'n I was you, the next size up (with the handle and rolling wheels and more power) would be a better choice for the long haul (literally, a long haul like through beach sand or grass or gravel by pulling it thus leaving the other hand free to carry something else).

Good catch on that Energized, RickRyan.com. My only initial concern was for the noise level which seems a bit higher than "conversation" as they state. The big plus is an electric start? That's wildly attractive.

The EU2000 is incredibly quiet but, after last weekend where we had it sitting 8 feet away from the DJ and inside the barn, it was still too noisy to keep it close by. It's going to need to be 25-50 feet away, IMHO. As long as the bigger Energizer unit can operate quiet enough to just run a single extension cord, then that's a better choice in my book. I also particularly liked the 240-volt plug it has. I'd probably rather have that with a distro box, then drop the actual 110-volt right by my table. I hadn't even noticed the electric start. That's a big plus.

That's not a 240v outlet on the Energizer, it's a 30A 120v outlet for RVs .. You can also get the Honda eu2000i "companion" version which has both a 120v and a similar RV connection on it.

165020_700x700.jpg

Reactions: sonic-vision
46596_buty-5_16_12-hi_res.jpg

I scored HUGE just before leaving for the DJ Expo. Just fired it up now. Great for industrial applications around the house where 150' extension cords are impractical.

Ocean State Job Lot had a sale on this generator:

3500W/4000W Generator, 196cc

Their price was $419.00 BUT it came with a store gift card of $300.00 making the final price $149.00. I'll use this around the house and save the Honda for strictly DJ apps.

And yes, the Honda is quiet however my minimum recommended distance is 30' just so that it doesn't effect any emotional high points of a gig.

Reactions: ittigger
I have the Champion 6500 (8250 starting watts). Puts out some decent power. Prior to this, I had a Briggs & Stratton 5500, I think I liked that Gen better.

Last edited:
For those concerned with noise levels, I'm sure a cheap sound deadening facade could be made to put in front of the generator facing in the direction of the event. I know it's one more thing to carry but I'm sure something collapsible, light and cheap could be easily constructed.

You could even get one of those cheap custom made lawn signs that they use for elections or the ones contractors display on peoples lawns where they do renos. You know, the ones with the wire ends that just stick in the ground. You could even put your company logo on it.

"Event power supplied by xxx entertainment rentals" or similar.

Or even some angled aluminum brackets that one end could sit under the genny for stability in the wind.

Just throwing stuff out there. :)

Last edited:

This is a big deal for ALL small engines - always use only ethanol free, non-oxygenated gas!

Sent from my mobile device.

The problem with using the car is the availability of being able to park the car close enough to the gear.
That would mean you also have to overcome the noise the car engine makes.
If you only start the car once in a while to re-charge the battery, make sure the inverter doesn't power off as you're turning the car on and/or off.
I work at a venue that uses an inverter and a stand-alone car battery for a ceremony,
but I don't think I'd like to do an entire evening on one.
I saw an infomercial on the Generac that Tunes showed. I'd feel a lot better using one of those.
But, for as often as I would need one, I would just rent one for $40 to $60 bucks.
At that price, you wouldn't have to raise your price to make a decent profit.

The problem with using the car is the availability of being able to park the car close enough to the gear.
That would mean you also have to overcome the noise the car engine makes.
If you only start the car once in a while to re-charge the battery, make sure the inverter doesn't power off as you're turning the car on and/or off.
I work at a venue that uses an inverter and a stand-alone car battery for a ceremony,
but I don't think I'd like to do an entire evening on one.
I saw an infomercial on the Generac that Tunes showed. I'd feel a lot better using one of those.
But, for as often as I would need one, I would just rent one for $40 to $60 bucks.
At that price, you wouldn't have to raise your price to make a decent profit.

Home Depot is showing the 2200 watt (2000 continuous) Energizer selling at $533. That's really tempting me at the moment.