quality external sound card

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I did not want to hijack another thread so here are my questions.

What are some good quality external sound cards?

Does your software make any difference as to which external sound card I can get?
Software shouldn't matter .. Drivers do. If you get a simple 2 channel soundcard, the basic windows/mac drivers work fine. Once you get to multi-channel devices, you generally need to use ASIO drivers and some are better than others.

As for devices, I like the Presonus AudioBox series .. have had one for many years. Mine is 2x2, but if I bought a new one, I'd shoot for 4x2 (4 outputs - 2 stereo pairs) so you can cue out the device instead of the PC headphone jack. I haven't used mine much lately as my Ranes and Denons have USB built in.

I use the Pioneer DJM5000 internal soundcard for my main system. Previously, and whenever I do wedding ceremony, I use a Gigaport AG (8 port); 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 external sound card. Been using it for over 15 years. However, I do notice the difference between the internal and external sound card outputs. Nevertheless, the Gigaport AG external sound card sounds 100% better than using a 1/8" jack from laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJKLEEN
There is some software, like Serato DJ, that has tighter hardware requirements. My sound card is internal to my Vestax Typhoon, a Serato DJ compatible controller. 16 bit CD quality that sounds fine to my old ears - but in truth I do not do a lot of FX with it.

I am watching this because we have always used Traktor and I have been looking at the Audio series. We have an S4 and S2, but the karaoke computer we usually use the headphone jack, which doesn't sound as good. Have thought about getting an Audio 6 or something and we can use that (if I understand correctly) as a USB soundcard for karaoke or, if we get a less expensive mixer and a second turntable, a way we can play with "2 turntables and a microphone!" Without the S4 acting as a DVS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
Does your software make any difference as to which external sound card I can get?

Like Steve said, the software shouldn't matter as it pertains to the card. The sound card stands on it's own and depends on the compatibility of your machine. However, software does play a part. You could play the same track through different software and get distinct differences. You also (obviously) want the best possible source media.