Weddings Question For (Some) Wedding DJs

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

ahoustondj

DJ Extraordinaire
Aug 13, 2007
Texas
I saw a comment on the Forum yesterday, I have seen it many times before .....it involves Beat Mixing at Weddings. Some, not all, think it is not needed, not acceptable, tacky etc. to Beat Match at a Wedding. Says who? Does the Client specify "No Beat matching at my Wedding"?

Do none of the Guests ever go out to Clubs and enjoy DJs doing live mixes? Is it perhaps that some of the "Wedding DJs" really don't know how to Beat Match and thus use that as an excuse. Isn't Beat matching an intricate part of DJing? Other than the expected mix of music, why then is a Wedding so different?

Is this all another of those self imposed DJ Policies that have taken root, so others are now following the masses? If one refuses to Beat Match, are they then not probable to be labelled as a "Push Button" type DJ? What say you? Do you Beat match at your Wedding Gigs and if not why?

I'd go with whatever works. It's probably not as important at a wedding, given beat matching is primarily to keep the dance floor going continuously, and as such isn't the highest priority at a wedding except maybe near the end. I certainly don't see it as tacky.

I saw a comment on the Forum yesterday, I have seen it many times before .....it involves Beat Mixing at Weddings. Some, not all, think it is not needed, not acceptable, tacky etc. to Beat Match at a Wedding. Says who? Does the Client specify "No Beat matching at my Wedding"?

Do none of the Guests ever go out to Clubs and enjoy DJs doing live mixes? Is it perhaps that some of the "Wedding DJs" really don't know how to Beat Match and thus use that as an excuse. Isn't Beat matching an intricate part of DJing? Other than the expected mix of music, why then is a Wedding so different?

Is this all another of those self imposed DJ Policies that have taken root, so others are now following the masses? If one refuses to Beat Match, are they then not probable to be labelled as a "Push Button" type DJ? What say you? Do you Beat match at your Wedding Gigs and if not why?

I've never had a client request beat-mixing. I've had numerous clients who specifically requested "full songs, not those cut-up, partial songs" for wedding work. The way I look at it, if it's a feature that helps you sell dates (i.e. the client wants it) then do it. If it's something you just want to do but no client is asking for it, then it's going to cost you revenue. Your choice.

Blending beats were a part of my dj history from day one. It was one of the first skills I learned by watching and listening to some of the great dj's in my area at the time. I always beat match at all of my gigs. Weddings are no different. The idea is to build the energy and keep it there. From slow songs to fast songs, always play in sets.

I've never had a client request beat-mixing. I've had numerous clients who specifically requested "full songs, not those cut-up, partial songs" for wedding work. The way I look at it, if it's a feature that helps you sell dates (i.e. the client wants it) then do it. If it's something you just want to do but no client is asking for it, then it's going to cost you revenue. Your choice.
I don't think it is something that a Client has to request! One can Beat Match without having to cut a song short. You are correct that it may not be appropriate to be cutting songs at a Wedding as one would do at a Club or Gym Party. How will it cost revenue if it is done without the Client asking for it? Are you saying it is offensive to Beat Match without it being requested? From where did that come? Do you know of anyone who was not hired and lost a Gig because of Beat Matching?

It's one of many DJ skills .. If you have it, and it works, go for it. I don't have the skill and not ashamed to admit it (isn't that the 1st step?). I'll do basic beat mixing by using comparable BPMs on songs, but I'm not so good on transitioning. Not a skill I've needed, so I'll leave it to you others for that.

Me personally, I don't beat match because I have one heck of a tough time finding the beat to begin with. When it comes time for the party part of a reception, I pass control of the mixer and decks to Ducky.

In my opinion....like most things....it depends on the situation. I'm a big time beat mixer. I've held residency at big clubs for over 20 yrs......so i honed and practiced beat mixing to keep the energy going. I do use this in my mobile events and weddings, but I don't do it every song. When doing a "dance" set i will keep the energy going as the crowd goes. No need to mix every song at a wedding when u want to keep everyone involved if you can....from kids to the grandparents. Use your brain and experience to know when / where to keep it in the mix and pumpin'. Just my 2 cents.:cool:

Personally I always beat mix at weddings...Weddings are all I do. Programming, honing my mic skills and creative mixing keeps me on top of my competition....I can mix anything and always, always get great feedback from the bride and groom, and guests. Remember Most DJ's who don't beat mix Can't. Just my $0.02

I've never found it important at a wedding.

A wedding is a social event, not a dance contest. I've found that most people want to hear the songs in their entirety, because they have some sort of emotional connection with the song. They also like a lot of breaks to chat and relax.

Keeping people on the dance floor 100% of the time at a wedding, is not the goal. Your goal is to help them have a fun social event, and entertain them. So beat matching doesn't matter IMHO -- and yes, it can be annoying to those at an event, who want to socialize.

this topic ad nauseam has been discussed many times. I beat mix songs that can be presented as such but I have mentioned that I play a very freestyle type set where Im at 108 to 154 then maybe back to 102 cause I have conquered timing. Over the years certain songs werent always doable other than that right moment. This has set me free and worked amazingly and so when that occurs I have managed to keep the flow going even if it isnt in a beat progression or friendly set. Even so much as to jump from one genre to another totally non related. This works and the reviews do not lie (neither does the filled dance floor that rarely gets less than half full. In some cases I do stick to sets in beat progression and it is the right decision. Blend mixing songs is a must unless your doing a ballroom type event as they like a full pause between each song in most cases as they clap in between. I dont see how steady mix annoys people who want to socialize they can simply get off the ride when they like its not like the dancefloor gets locked down and they cant get off.

Rick;
I respect you very much but seriously? The client (The Bride & Groom) want a party they will never forget. Once it's time to dance they want to dance and want everyone to dance. Depending on the wedding of course but most socializing is done during cocktail hour and dinner....Once I get em up dancing they always stay up dancing. If they didn't care about the entertainment and just socializing they would use an ipod not spend $1500 on entertainment!

we need to be clear on this, I think all of us beatmix at all our events. Even without noticing. Beatmixing is the blending of two songs that have the same beat or similar beats even if its at the end of the song. I don't want to be on the dance floor dancing on 1 & 3, then look like I stuttered when the DJ changes the song and doesn't beatmix.

I'll admit I'm not the greatest beat matcher you'll ever hear. I have mastered making clean transitions with a fader, that and music selection get it done for me. I do advise my clients that I do not beat match. I haven't lost a gig yet from revealing this. I surely admire those whose ears are golden and can beatmatch to perfection.

Best,

Paul

I've never found it important at a wedding.

A wedding is a social event, not a dance contest. I've found that most people want to hear the songs in their entirety, because they have some sort of emotional connection with the song. They also like a lot of breaks to chat and relax.

Keeping people on the dance floor 100% of the time at a wedding, is not the goal. Your goal is to help them have a fun social event, and entertain them. So beat matching doesn't matter IMHO -- and yes, it can be annoying to those at an event, who want to socialize.[/quote]Rick, the highlighted statement above has nothing to do with Beat Mixing. One can Beat Match without cutting a song short. How can music being Mixed or Beat Match be annoying?

we need to be clear on this, I think all of us beatmix at all our events. Even without noticing. Beatmixing is the blending of two songs that have the same beat or similar beats even if its at the end of the song. I don't want to be on the dance floor dancing on 1 & 3, then look like I stuttered when the DJ changes the song and doesn't beatmix.
There are many DJs who do just that!

Rick;
I respect you very much but seriously? The client (The Bride & Groom) want a party they will never forget. Once it's time to dance they want to dance and want everyone to dance. Depending on the wedding of course but most socializing is done during cocktail hour and dinner....Once I get em up dancing they always stay up dancing. If they didn't care about the entertainment and just socializing they would use an ipod not spend $1500 on entertainment!

I'll agree to differ on this Ray...

Dancing is not a HUGE part of an event. There are many aspects: food, flowers, courteous wait staff, etc.

If you judge the success of an event, simply by how many people dance, and for how long -- I believe you're doing yourself a disservice. It's not a club -- there are many other factors.

If the folks have a good time, even toe tapping -- you've done your job :)

I'll agree to differ on this Ray...

Dancing is not a HUGE part of an event. There are many aspects: food, flowers, courteous wait staff, etc.

If you judge the success of an event, simply by how many people dance, and for how long -- I believe you're doing yourself a disservice. It's not a club -- there are many other factors.

If the folks have a good time, even toe tapping -- you've done your job :)
With that way of thinking, then why hire a DJ? An IPod loaded with songs can do the same thing. Apparently you have not heard some of the Horror Stories about IPod Weddings! ;)

If all you're doing is pushing play, then the B&G should probably consider an iPod. Hopefully, you're the MC, the mover-alonger, the announcer, the keeper-on-tracker and a host of unofficial title the iPod couldn't keep up with. As mentioned, the extreme dancing part is a minimal part of the whole night. If you can beat match .. great .. if not .. great .. it's all good. No one can say that you will or won't be successful or have a great gig without it.