RCF ART 322a VS Yorkville U15

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
G

I'm going to be getting new tops in the next couple of days. But I still don't know if I should get the RCF 322a or the Yorkie U15(passive). I have a Yorkie LS 808 sub, the U15 will match my sub. Thats a big plus for the U15. On the other hand the 322a is smaller, lighter and the cost is less. If you were me which one would you get and why?

If any one has used the U15 or U15p please chime in.

well you kinda answered your question, if you want something that costs less, smaller, lighter, then go with the 322a, but if you want a sound that most speakers cannot touch, then go with the U15.
I think the U15 is amazing sound, new technology and design. It is heavier to lug around. it will match your sub perfectly.
I've used the U15, its got plenty of power, and again, the cleanest sound from the horn which has mids & highs all in one.

I've used the U15, its got plenty of power, and again, the cleanest sound from the horn which has mids & highs all in one.

Have you heard them vs the ef500's? Also, are you using the powered or non powered? I'm looking at the U15P's. I have the LS800p's and the EF500's and it is crazy powerful. I've heard that the U15p's are better sounding, that would be awesome as I have been very impressed with the EF500's.

Have you heard them vs the ef500's? Also, are you using the powered or non powered? I'm looking at the U15P's. I have the LS800p's and the EF500's and it is crazy powerful. I've heard that the U15p's are better sounding, that would be awesome as I have been very impressed with the EF500's.

Hi Kelly, I've never heard the EF500. The 500s were at the 2006 speaker shootout. I wasn't their, but they didn't do that good in the shootout. From what I hear they were the loudest, but had the worst sound. The U15p's were the best sounding out of the group of speakers that were their. The RCF ART 322a were in the shootout as well.

Hi Kelly, I've never heard the EF500. The 500s were at the 2006 speaker shootout. I wasn't their, but they didn't do that good in the shootout. From what I hear they were the loudest, but had the worst sound. The U15p's were the best sounding out of the group of speakers that were their. The RCF ART 322a were in the shootout as well.

Hey Garret,

I've talked to several people about the EF500's vs. U15P's. I read the shoot out results that Jeff from Cobra Sound posted and from what I've gathered, if you are able to EQ the speakers, they sound great! Out of the box the U15P's sound much better. From what I was told, that for pure volume, the EF500's are better if your goal is to pin people to the back wall :), but for quality of sound for both vocals and music play back, the U15P's are much better.

I've just bought a pair so when I get the chance to use them I will let you know my opinion.

I've just bought a pair so when I get the chance to use them I will let you know my opinion.

That sounds good, thank you! I am going to order a pair of the RCF 322a. The Yorkies don't have the wide dispersion that I need for outdoor gigs. The U15s have a 60 degree conical horn, making them great for arraying. I would need to use two per side to get the coverage that I need. Thats just to much of a pain for me. The RCFs will get the job done and if I need something more I have a pair of Yamaha S215IV. Them bad boys can crank!

I'm very bummed out!!!!! I really really wanted a pair of U15s. :sqfrown:

That sounds good, thank you! I am going to order a pair of the RCF 322a. The Yorkies don't have the wide dispersion that I need for outdoor gigs. The U15s have a 60 degree conical horn, making them great for arraying. I would need to use two per side to get the coverage that I need. Thats just to much of a pain for me. The RCFs will get the job done and if I need something more I have a pair of Yamaha S215IV. Them bad boys can crank!

I'm very bummed out!!!!! I really really wanted a pair of U15s. :sqfrown:

Garret,

I'm the first to admit that I'm not an audiofile, but I have used the EF500's (which also have the same dispersion as the U15P's) and I really don't hear any drop out. We have used these speakers for school events with over 1,000 kids in a Gym and used them with 2 LS800p's and it sounded great to me!

Anyway, I wish you all the best with your purchase!

Garret,

I'm the first to admit that I'm not an audiofile, but I have used the EF500's (which also have the same dispersion as the U15P's) and I really don't hear any drop out. We have used these speakers for school events with over 1,000 kids in a Gym and used them with 2 LS800p's and it sounded great to me!

Kelly, thats a very good point. The dispersion for the EF500 is 60 h x 40 v. The U15s are 60 h x 60 v. One difference between the two is the 500 uses a 2 inch driver and the U15 uses a 1 inch driver. I don't know how much of a differences that makes when both horns are 60 degrees horizontal.

Have you done any outdoor gigs with your 500s? I do alot of outdoor stuff in the summer time and need a wide dispersion, long throw horn.

I still don't place the order yet for the 322a. I could get a pair of used EF500s for $ 950.00 per cab with covers. That would be a cheaper way to go, then buying the U15s. Because I'll still need to get a QSC 3602 amp if I buy the U15s. Kelly you make the 500s very tempting. Jeff at Cobra Sound did say when the EF500s are EQed right they will sound good. Mike Pyle said that the U15s (passive) needs processing too.

Garret,

I personally haven't, but Arnoldo (DJ Crazi Ace) used them for an out door Movie Night for one of the schools we service. I will ask him to post his opinion.

I bought my EF500's from Jeff (I would have also purchased his demos w/ covers, but it was going to kill me to have them shipped to FL). Honestly, we also have the Mackie 1521's and they don't hold a candle to the EF500's. Those cabinets pound!

Oh, one other thing. We haven't bought passive cabinets in many years (since the Mackie SMR450's came out). My feeling is that having the amp in the speaker (while more weight) makes sure that you have your amp and speaker matched perfectly and eliminates phase shifting (at least in the speakers I've purchased). Also, it almost assures that God forbid your amp goes, you still have the other speaker working to get you through the event. Back up equipment built right into your systems. No brainer for me!

I talk to Jeff of Cobra Sound today. He said just about the same thing as Mike Pyle. Both the U15s and The EF500p need to be used two per side in order to get good covage for outdoor gigs.

As for the sound of the EF500p, if you EQ it just right, it can sound about as good as the RCF ART 322a. Now for max SPL the 500 does a 127 db and the 322a can do 128 db.

After talking to Jeff today it looks like the 322a is what I should go with. It will fit my needs better then one pair of U15s or EF500ps. If I had the money two U15ps per side would be awesome.

Kelly, thank you for all of your help!

Hey Garret,

I just checked the specs of the RCF (really never looked before as I love the Yorkville line). The RCF ART 322a is only a 12" woofer and 400 watts of power (350 + 50). I'm no genius, but those specs don't match favorably with the Yorkies (either the U15's or the EF500's). I see that the RCF is a 90 dispersion, but I can't imagine that you are going to get the same sound out of it as out of the Yorkville cabinets.

Like I said, I don't claim to be the smartest guy when it comes to speakers, but the numbers don't make sense to me. I hear that RCF are great speakers so I'm sure you will be happy with them. Either way, let me know what you think after you get them.

Just curious!

Why not jump into a pair of the RCF 325a's.. I own the 325i's the passive version and I love em. I run them with 2 Yorkville ls 800 p's. I am not knocking 12" speakers but I just feel better with a 15" speaker.

Then you should have bought these FBT 15" 900 watts....only 62lbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/FBT-Maxx-6a-900...095173994QQcategoryZ47094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have used FBT for 3 years the Maxx4's and ls61 subs...never ever a problen...the Maxx4 powered at 36 pounds yes 36 pounds for a 400 watt bi amped powered speaker.

============================================
Why not jump into a pair of the RCF 325a's.. I own the 325i's the passive version and I love em. I run them with 2 Yorkville ls 800 p's. I am not knocking 12" speakers but I just feel better with a 15" speaker.

Then you should have bought these FBT 15" 900 watts....only 62lbs

http://cgi.ebay.com/FBT-Maxx-6a-900...095173994QQcategoryZ47094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have used FBT for 3 years the Maxx4's and ls61 subs...never ever a problen...the Maxx4 powered at 36 pounds yes 36 pounds for a 400 watt bi amped powered speaker.

============================================

The guy selling them is DJ Don. He's on Sid's board. Those FBTs take a dump last week. Don got them fixed and then put them on Ebay. From what I hear they can be a little harsh when pushed. Thats something the 322a don't do.

I think I'm done fighting this RCF thing. Today I'm throwing in the towel and ordering a pair of 322a from mike(audiopyle sound).

Garret,

I'm not sure who you are fighting with? You asked for some opinions and I believe that you received them. I don't have any affilation with Yorkville other then I'm a happy customer. I really don't know much about the RCF Speakers other then what I've read. If you like the speaker and it fits your need, sweet!

From what I've read, they are a great speaker. I haven't heard the U15's yet either. I based my purchase on my experience with the EF500's and what I've been told from the dealers of these speakers (Jeffs comments from the shootout also).

I have several pairs of Mackie 450's and have hear lots of people down them for being 12" woofers. I've heard them vs. the JBL G2's and I liked the Mackies better. Enough said! If you like the RCF's sound and it does what you need then you have a winner.

I look forward to hearing your review.