Recommendations On A Hard Drive

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ruben Mora

DJ/Comdian
Dec 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Running Serato on a Mac Book Pro. Looking for your comments on a terabyte drive that will be used for a backup of the music library. I purchased a Lacie drive but was told I would have problems with it. Thanks!

They come NTFS formatted ..

Reactions: ittigger
I also use a Western Digital My Passport Ultra.

I used to use an external that had a power supply since I thought it might be a more stable set up. But a caterer killed the power to my tent last year, and the improper shut off on that drive took forever to reboot. So, I switched to a USB powered drive then, and it's been far easier to deal with.

I use to portable 2 TB HD's. One is a Seagate and the other is WD. No issues for me. I wonder how big is that 8 TB from Best Buy?

I use to portable 2 TB HD's. One is a Seagate and the other is WD. No issues for me. I wonder how big is that 8 TB from Best Buy?

You need 2 X 2TB drives?!

What could you possibly be carrying with you (unless you spin video) that takes that much space to do a gig?

You need 2 X 2TB drives?!

What could you possibly be carrying with you (unless you spin video) that takes that much space to do a gig?
One is for backup and I have a bunch of different files of music on each. It's up to over 1.5 TB space used right now.

I do video and all my laptops have one 1tb SSD ( c:\ and d:\) and a 2tb standard (e:\), both internal. My video library has consumed the e:\ entirely and a goodly part of the d:\ partition. When the price of the 2tb SSD drops to something I'm willing to spend, the expansion will happen.

My external drives for laptops are all USB 3.0 2tb (6). OCD about backing up the backups.

I have a couple of Lacie Rugged's and Lacie 2Big's, not a problem with any. I would recommend going with Thunderbolt if possible, as it is much faster, even though USB3 is pretty fast, Thunderbolt is simultaneous bidirectional in its transfer rates, and the bus isn't shared unless you daisy chain, USB3 is still a shared bus with other USB devices you have plugged in. I have moved 3TB over USB3 (Cloning a laptop) took about 14 hours, same drive on Thunderbolt took about 3 hours.

Unless you're doing some serious processing, you won't see a difference between USB 2, 3 or Thunderbolt.