RequestNow - Cool Tool for Taking Song Requests

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Sorry Rick, right now I have 57,000 songs in my library, all obtained legally. It has come from 20+ years of buying music, ripping cds and using the legit services....every week, I get about 100 new songs added.

No need to be sorry Patrick -- I have plenty of tracks as well.

You have to understand though, that all of my software talks to the Mothership -- so I can tell where the tracks come from. You thought the NSA was bad -- I have better tech than they do.

As I said before, I am not a music cop -- I just limit my support when I see an issue, and can verify it.

Reactions: 1 person
Kittmaster I would be very carefull now as others are thinking you dont buy but illegally download songs

this is also in my mind when I say what you wrote

have a nice day

Kittmaster I would be very carefull now as others are thinking you dont buy but illegally download songs

have a nice day

Naw .. it's easy today with pools, to get up there. I have close to 80,000 .. all legal, most from the pools.

Reactions: DjDennis
Naw .. it's easy today with pools, to get up there. I have close to 80,000 .. all legal, most from the pools.

Are the pools legal? Call the RIAA and find out.

I buy CDs and rip them myself. Buy a few new tunes from Amazon now and then.

If you have say 50,000 songs that you don't have the rights to use, you are looking at a 5 million dollar fine.

I read it in a different way tigger...

Most of my customers have a few thousand hand picked tracks they use. When I encounter those that have 80,000 to 150,000 tracks, I grow wary of where they came from.

At that point in time, I distance myself from them.

It's nothing personal, just a business decision -- if people want to buy a loaded HDD, or download via bit torrent, that is their affair. I am not the music police, but I do know the cost factor of buying 80,000 songs. When I get to that decision, I stop doing support, and stop taking requests to update my software for their needs.

I wasn't born yesterday.

I also have a mass amount of music, but I've been collecting since the 80's .. so the statement / assumption that one with non-legal music does not apply to all of those with a large library. Also, it's impossible to know which 'few thousand hand picked' ones a person might need at a venue - and with the prices of storage where they are, I'd like to think most of us have our complete libraries with us.

Heck, some of them offer the "if I don't have it, I'll get it right now" method - so I have to imagine they have their entire libraries there.

To get back to the subject at hand, I read it to mean he's indexing files as he updates the library and not at an event.

Last edited:
Are the pools legal? Call the RIAA and find out.

I buy CDs and rip them myself. Buy a few new tunes from Amazon now and then.

If you have say 50,000 songs that you don't have the rights to use, you are looking at a 5 million dollar fine.

Is shooting people in your back yard legal? Who's to say.

I'm hoping the pools are legal .. the one I use has been in business since 1985.

I also have a mass amount of music, but I've been collecting since the 80's .. so the statement / assumption that one with non-legal music does not apply to all of those with a large library. Also, it's impossible to know which 'few thousand hand picked' ones a person might need at a venue - and with the prices of storage where they are, I'd like to think most of us have our complete libraries with us.

Heck, some of them offer the "if I don't have it, I'll get it right now" method - so I have to imagine they have their entire libraries there.

To get back to the subject at hand, I read it to mean he's indexing files as he updates the library and not at an event.

Well, I'll sorta agree to disagree.

I have a ton of music that I collected from the 60's on up. That does not mean I need them for a gig. 80,000 wastes a lot of memory, and makes your DJ software less robust.

What are the odds, somebody might want to hear a Peter Gabriel song, or some Leif Garret? About the same as me winning the lottery.

When's the last time you played Badfish by Sublime?

Well, I'll sorta agree to disagree.

I have a ton of music that I collected from the 60's on up. That does not mean I need them for a gig. 80,000 wastes a lot of memory, and makes your DJ software less robust.

What are the odds, somebody might want to hear a Peter Gabriel song, or some Leif Garret? About the same as me winning the lottery.

When's the last time you played Badfish by Sublime?

The issue is one doesn't necessarily know what the guests want to hear and since my 75K-80K songs are less than 800Gb, It can fit on a 1Tb internal drive or a small external one .. so why NOT bring them. I agree I will probably never play more than 10% of that library .. ever, but I have it .. why should I leave it home. And it's enough work to choose what I absolutely have to have .. I don't want to start working out what I might or might not need.

Ah, so now I'm starting to see why you tell people to add songs to their library away from the gig. Are we using an older indexing system perhaps?

Ah, so now I'm starting to see why you tell people to add songs to their library away from the gig. Are we using an older indexing system perhaps?

No -- my indexing is probably one of the fastest on the planet.

The issue comes in, when you are eating memory. When I went to college way back, we learned to utilize every byte. We had an IBM 4381, with 512 kb of ram, which serviced our college and the county offices (we had a 370 prior to that).

I realize it takes some time and effort to cherry pick you songs -- but since you are in a business, it is in your best interest to do so.

Think about it like this:

I have every email sent or received since the early 90's. A lot of them are BS or spam, so I archive them out. But on a regular basis, I go through them -- might take me a week or so.

Just because some of you are lazy, does not mean I need to be.

Song requests are only a part of what I use texting for at events. A lot of my texts are for B&G "shout outs". Of the ones that are song requests, there are a fair number that I'm convinced are too shy to request songs in person. Texting makes them feel more comfortable and is yet another feather I can stick in my services cap, which clients love.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes "basic operating procedure" for DJ's in the future.
But I just prefer face-to-face communication.
Probably why I am not glued to my own cellphone 24/7.
I am not saying it's not a good idea...just not one that suits me.
But do applaud you, if it makes you happy....and makes you money!

I realize it takes some time and effort to cherry pick you songs -- but since you are in a business, it is in your best interest to do so.

Sorry, but I'm in the same boat with Steve. Hard drive space is cheap and there's nothing that prevents me from having my entire library available at every gig. Trying to pick/choose material is a sure recipe for having requests where you'll have to answer "I'm sorry, I left that one at home." Then again, I know you smack people who ask for songs at events.

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry, but I'm in the same boat with Steve. Hard drive space is cheap and there's nothing that prevents me from having my entire library available at every gig. Trying to pick/choose material is a sure recipe for having requests where you'll have to answer "I'm sorry, I left that one at home." Then again, I know you smack people who ask for songs at events.

Something to that effect... :)

It's not their job -- it's mine. Might just as well rent a jukebox (and of course I sell jukebox software).

80,000 songs are overkill. I don't walk out the door with that many tracks. Maybe a couple thousand. If you feel the need to decrease your speed, then feel free.

Rick, I am curious, what if my gig computer is never hooked up to the internet, how would you then know where I get my music from?

It's fairly simple Patrick. I won't go into details, but for example you have Wifi running, our software will establish a comm link to our servers.

We then have access to everything on your computer.

It's fairly simple Patrick. I won't go into details, but for example you have Wifi running, our software will establish a comm link to our servers.

So you are a virus producer?

The problem is, you are trying to load 80,000 tracks, and update at a gig. That is not a feasible option.
The system should be set set up, and ready to go, before you walk out your front door.

Might I ask a question?

If you have 80,000 tracks, that would imply that you have spent at least $80,000, probably likely over a hundred thousand to purchase them. So, if you spent that much on music purchased legally, you would still be in the hole, so to speak.

So you are complaining about my $49 program...?

Sorry, been away on block island for the last 4 days and in Taiwan for 10 days before that.

I have have ripped most my vinyl collection over the last 5+ years, that came to around 30K tracks and CDs, I've had multiple promo type cds, vinyl and many others from people in my area. Yes, I've spent north of 100K in music over the years. What is this hole that you speak of? What does $49 have to do with anything, I simple stated I wouldn't purchase the app because as it stands now, it does not do what I would like it to do. It is very slow to load up my master library which is done prior to the event and pushed out to my slave drives and rig.

If you know Chris Roman or Luke Rechan Sr and Jr., you will have all your answers to how my company operates. I'm also part of the SNAPDJS group and is part of our Charter regarding legitimacy of operation. I hope this answers the question.

Chris .. Try the one I use for karaoke (it also works for music). There's even a Smartphone app attendees can use if you set up a local WiFi.

https://www.tricerasoft.com/wp/mainpage/?page_id=47

Thanks I'll take a look.

IMO, I read that to mean that he has an always updating library, much like most of us do. I didn't read it as it's a library being updated at an event.

Yes this is correct

Most of my customers have a few thousand hand picked tracks they use. When I encounter those that have 80,000 to 150,000 tracks, I grow wary of where they came from.

It's nothing personal, just a business decision -- if people want to buy a loaded HDD, or download via bit torrent, that is their affair. I am not the music police, but I do know the cost factor of buying 80,000 songs. When I get to that decision, I stop doing support, and stop taking requests to update my software for their needs.

I wasn't born yesterday.

Understood, but addressed above.

Last edited:
The problem is, you are trying to load 80,000 tracks, and update at a gig. That is not a feasible option.
The system should be set set up, and ready to go, before you walk out your front door.

Might I ask a question?

If you have 80,000 tracks, that would imply that you have spent at least $80,000, probably likely over a hundred thousand to purchase them. So, if you spent that much on music purchased legally, you would still be in the hole, so to speak.

So you are complaining about my $49 program...?

Chris .. Try the one I use for karaoke (it also works for music). There's even a Smartphone app attendees can use if you set up a local WiFi.

https://www.tricerasoft.com/wp/mainpage/?page_id=47

IMO, I read that to mean that he has an always updating library, much like most of us do. I didn't read it as it's a library being updated at an event.

I wasn't born yesterday.

Sorry Rick, right now I have 57,000 songs in my library, all obtained legally. It has come from 20+ years of buying music, ripping cds and using the legit services....every week, I get about 100 new songs added.

have a nice day

People can believe what they want, I don't care what anyone thinks. If people want to assume it, its on them, not me....I have nothing to prove to anyone, but thanks for the insight.

The issue is one doesn't necessarily know what the guests want to hear and since my 75K-80K songs are less than 800Gb, It can fit on a 1Tb internal drive or a small external one .. so why NOT bring them. I agree I will probably never play more than 10% of that library .. ever, but I have it .. why should I leave it home. And it's enough work to choose what I absolutely have to have .. I don't want to start working out what I might or might not need.