Round two for the Xmas Party Season - Cordova Bay Golf Course

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Navydiver

DJ Extraordinaire
Jul 5, 2015
Victoria, BC
navydiving.wix.com
Great course, played it many times but really really small clubhouse which got me worried when I got there. This one comes with a bit of a story. I was doing a wedding (see Wedding Giglog for the posh Royal Victoria Yacht Club this past summer - July). While I was setting up for the wedding this nice lady (a member not part of the wedding) came up to me and asked if I did Xmas parties - of course I said yes so I gave her one of my business cards (my real work card as I had run out of my VJ ones). Thinking nothing of it I got an email from her almost a month later asking some questions - I said I remembered her and was happy to help out. I flipped her a link to my web site and answered all her questions and finally she said I was their man. That happened 29 Aug and I reserved the date for this past weekend for (she said) 70 to 80 people. It was the local Insurance Corp of British Columbia - Car insurance here is almost communist as it is run through the Govt. I said no to a retainer fee and then went on with my life. She did say she would contact me closer to the event so I waited and waited (not really caring if the event happened or not really as my Xmas season was getting booked solid). Anyway the Sunday before the event I had heard nothing back so I proactively emailed her several times over the course of several days - no answer! By this point I had already turned down two other requests for that weekend. I finally dug up her work phone number on the Thursday before after doing some sleuthing and gave her a ring. It went straight to answering machine with an out of office saying she was on vacation until 19 December. Last contact I had with her was 29 August by email only. At that point I thought great, I get a weekend off (trust me, I really appreciate a full weekend off these days). Then I got to thinking - what if they all go and the DJ/VJ is a no show so I did some more sleuthing by calling the Golf Course manager and sure enough, yes, there was an ICBC party still planned for Saturday and a dance floor was coming. By this point I wasn't sure if I was the VJ or they had gone with someone else like an employee who fancied himself/herself a DJ of sorts. So I ended finding an email address for the offices and managed to get a hold of one of the entertainment committee members by pure chance (they do things by committee apparently and obviously not very well). I asked him point blank if I was still their DJ and he said yes I was absolutely needed. I guess the lady had thought all was fully organized based on a 2 email back and forth exchange with no details given at all. Lucky for them I decided to go the extra mile otherwise the party would have been very boring without canned music videos. Ended up far less than 70 to 80 pers. More like 40 or 50 but they did have a good time and were very happy with our entertainment. Thank goodness for music videos since they weren't really that keen a group for dancing (although we did have quite a few up for a while (way more than shown in my meager clips below)....

Last edited:
Reactions: Ausumm and steve149