Slight Miscalculation

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Reactions: ittigger
Not believing this... I got my new computer 1 week earlier than it was supposed to be delivered. I had to leave the house early today, so while I was eating breakfast at my favorite eatery, I checked the tracking info and it said "out for delivery". CRAP!!!. The night before it was still in Texas and the estimated delivery was June 29. So then I'm hoping it gets delivered late in the day, because I knew I was not going to be home until 5:00pm or so. I was conducting the first round interviews for the IT Director position at the state agency from which I retired, so I was obligated for the day.[emoji4]

Then, around 3:00, just before the final interview, I checked the tracking info again and it said "delivered, left on porch". CRAP again.[emoji1] People are stealin' packages off people's porches all the time. I was worried it wouldn't be there when I got home. Then, wouldn't ya know it, an accident on the freeway, turning it into a parking lot. Finally got home and fortunately, my new computer was there... in the original Dell box. The thieves missed their opportunity. Not only was this thing packed in all the original packaging, it looks like it had never been taken out. This thing looks like a brand new computer. I'm getting ready to check it out, but I'm not believing the condition of this thing. Next post, I'll let you know how it performs and maybe post a few pics.[emoji4]

Not complaining about the early delivery, but I didn't even get a chance to modify the rack case to which I plan to attach it. I thought I had another week.[emoji4]

Wow, wow, wow....WOW!!![emoji1] I am blown away. I think I mighta got the best deal EVER!. This computer is like brand new. There is a little scuffing on the back of the case, but it's all black, so it's practically unnoticeable. The screen and front look like new. The keyboard and mouse were still sealed in plastic, and had obviously never been used. The description of this computer was "lightly used", but it appears more like a factory refurbish. The only hint that it had been used was that the computer itself was not in a plastic cover, and there was some dust in the back where the cables plug in.
Windows 10 had already been initialized, but it took no time to change the ID and get it setup the way I want it. I won't be keeping this little 128GB SSD in it anyway, but I wanted to make sure everything worked OK, and it's not only OK, it's FANTASTIC!!![emoji4] This thing has some VERY nice features, and it is FAST.
Now for the negatives.[emoji4] Not necessarily negative, but challenges. It's heavy... weighs more than the 1U rack-mounted PC it's replacing. This thing is built like a tank. The other thing is, it's BIG. Screen size is 23.8", compared to the 22" monitor it replaces. It's 2.5" wider than the monitor; an inch of which is because the frame around the screen is an inch wide, where the monitor's frame is about half of that. I don't think the size and weight will be a problem, but it was surprising.
The other thing I'll have to deal with is the location of the cable connections. They're tucked down low on the back and face downward, so you have to turn the thing upside down in order to see where to plug stuff in. Hopefully, when I get it set up with my rack case, I can connect the power, network and USB cables, and leave them connected all the time. If I had to reconnect the cables when setting up, it might take a little extra time.
So now I'm waiting for the new 2TB SSHD and memory. Won't have time until Monday to work on the case mods. That oughta be fun.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If possible, please post pics of your progress.
I'll do that. This is a pic of the new computer. Not that much to look at, but I can't stop looking at it.:laugh:...
upload_2017-6-23_11-21-4.png
... Of course I won't be using the stand, keyboard, or mouse when I set it up with my rack case, but they came with the computer. I'll post some pics of my rack case mods next week, and then the final product when it's all done.:laugh:

Obviously, I've got some work to do to modify my rack case for my small system. I'll start working on that next Monday, and I'll post my progress.

But now I need to start thinking about a wireless microphone system. Removing the 1U computer from the rack case opens up space for a wireless microphone system, so my current thought is to move the one from my large rack to the small one, and buy a better one for my large system. This approach essentially upgrades both systems. My old system is a GTD Audio G-622HL. It has been a good system, but I want a 4 microphone system for my large rack. I have wired mics in both systems for my use when performing, so the wireless mics are generally used by clients.

I'm looking for recommendations for a four channel wireless microphone system. As always, I'm pretty flexible when it comes to the budget, but I'm looking for good value.[emoji4] Let me know what your choice would be?[emoji4]

Last edited:
So if you missed the question in my previous post, you can see it here...

...I'm looking for recommendations for a four channel wireless microphone system. As always, I'm pretty flexible when it comes to the budget, but I'm looking for good value.[emoji4] Let me know what your choice would be?[emoji4]

I'm planning to move my old GTD Audio G-622HL from my large system to my small one, so I want to put a 4 microphone system in my large rack.

The problem is, T-Mobile bought the 600MHz spectrum, so my small system may not have more than a couple years left; this is its operational range: Frequency: UHF 610MHz - 680MHz.

I'm going to buy a new 4 microphone system first, but I think it would be wise to be thinking about a two microphone system that uses compatible microphones.[emoji4]

Please tell me what you guys are using?[emoji4]

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
The GtD Audio (or similar ATl Audio) seem to be usable .. If I were starting new, I might look seriously at the Audio Technica System 10 Pro. System 10 PRO Rack-Mount Digital Wireless Systems | Pro Wireless || Audio-Technica US Modular .. starting around $560 for a 1/2 rack unit with 2 handhelds.

A couple of drawbacks I can see with that system, one is only 2 mics, and I'd prefer 4. Two, the price... a system with 1 hand-held and 1 body-pack sells on Amazon for $849. Finally, it looks like it uses WiFi frequencies, so wouldn't you risk interference from wireless devices of all kinds?

A couple of drawbacks I can see with that system, one is only 2 mics, and I'd prefer 4. Two, the price... a system with 1 hand-held and 1 body-pack sells on Amazon for $849. Finally, it looks like it uses WiFi frequencies, so wouldn't you risk interference from wireless devices of all kinds?

You mount 2 of the AT units in a single rack space (they're half rack units) .. giving you 4 channels and 4 mics. One handheld and one bodypack is $545 at NSL.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
You mount 2 of the AT units in a single rack space (they're half rack units) .. giving you 4 channels and 4 mics. One handheld and one bodypack is $545 at NSL.

What about the frequency? Am I wrong, or does it say it runs on the 2.4GHz band? Is there a risk of interference there? Also says range is 300 feet. That would be pretty decent... also what GTD claims for the unit I own. Not sure if will really reach that far but I bet it comes close.

Last edited:
What about the frequency? Am I wrong, or does it say it runs on the 2.4GHz band? Is there a risk of interference there? Also says range is 300 feet. That would be pretty decent... also what GTD claims for the unit I own. Not sure if will really reach that far but I bet it comes close.

It does run in the 2.4GHz band (which is actually 2,400 to 2,483.5 GHz), but uses some network type tricks like frequency diversity (using multiple sub channels), time diversity (sending packets in multiple slots) and space/antenna diversity (standard multi-antenna stuff). One nice thing is the antenna/receiver modules can be removed and mounted remotely (connected with Cat 5/6) to get the antennae up higher if needed for line of sight.

Not sure about the 300' .. only tried them in a small area.

...One nice thing is the antenna/receiver modules can be removed and mounted remotely (connected with Cat 5/6) to get the antennae up higher if needed for line of sight..

That's something I would definitely like to do.[emoji4]

RAM arrived today. Weird getting mail delivery on Sunday. Was shipped by FedEx, then passed off to USPS for home delivery. Also got a funky little key chain with it for free... has a little bullet looking canister attached with a cap you can screw off so you can put stuff inside... cocaine perhaps?[emoji1]

Not sure if I'll put the memory in today or wait until the SSHD drive arrives on Tuesday. Taking the back off the AIO computer is not hard, but I'm always worried about breaking the little plastic clips or scratching the case, so I prefer not to open it up too often. I had to open it once to see if the installed 4GB was two 2GB sticks or one 4GB stick. Pretty cool in there; nicely engineered. Installing the new memory and hard drive will be a snap.[emoji1]

I max out my laptops memory , at 8gb

Not sure what the max memory size is in this new AIO computer is. I know it will take at least 16GB; two 8GB sticks. It has only 2 DDR4 slots that lay flat on the motherboard, just like a laptop. I went ahead and put the memory in last night. I wanted to make sure it wasn't defective.[emoji4] It wasn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't wait to get started turning this new computer into a DJ computer. Unfortunately, the disk drive won't be here until tomorrow, and it seems to be stuck in Hutchins, Texas. It better get moving, or it's not gonna make it by tomorrow.[emoji4]

Today I'm gonna work on the case. I've been giving this a lot of thought; now I need to actually DO something. Gotta go to the home improvement store and pick up a few things I'll need, then I'll start hacking into it. Wouldn't ya know the heat would return about the time I want to work in the garage. We had a couple of days with highs in the mid 80's, but it's back to the 90's today. Wish I had an air conditioned garage.[emoji1] Oh well, gotta be done. I need a backup system that's put together, and this one is currently spread out all over the place.[emoji1]

Got my little 2Tb FireCuda drive in .. also the larger 3.5" 2Tb version I bought for my tower (OS drive) .. to go with the 2 4Tb Barracuda discs for data. Would have just bought a new tower, but I bought this last year and not a whole lot of difference between the i7 6th gen and the new 7th gen.