Songs that mix well together

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

DJChas

New DJ
Aug 27, 2007
Anyone know where I can find the thread about songs that mix well together? I saw it on here once before, but can't find it anywhere now?

Thanks!!

me to i wish i would have saved that one

Hey Chas Im not sure where it is perhaps Dan can find it or archived it. In lieu of that all you have to do is get a clock and count the backbeat and see how many fit into a a 60 second time frame and then double that number. All us old timers have done it since we first heard about it back in the 70's. Prior to that we had to listen to music and determine what might work together. Some of us were actually pretty good at hearing the songs which worked well together. I suppose though that those of us who could werent merely button pushers.

Hi!
I think its better that you hear the music and do it youre self(try to mix...) Its important what you do and not other people. if you try new tricks they are only youres.
Good luck!

Get Virtual DJ.

Analyze your music anything from 0 to 5 bpm apart will mix well with each other.

Just because a song has a similar BPM range doesn't mean it will mix well together. The trick is finding songs with similar sounds and similar vocal tracks ... Those are the songs that mix well together.

Example, The new Timbland song "The Way I Are" has a very similar beat to JT "Sexyback" They mix VERY well together. Then you can throw into there the new Brittany "Gimme More" Also has a similar beat w/ "The Way I Are" & "Sexyback"

Listen to the songs and learn the songs. Don't just learn what BPM a song is.

all you have to do is get a clock and count the backbeat and see how many fit into a a 60 second time frame and then double that number.

Close, BPM stands for Beats Per MINUTE ... if you count the beats for 60 seconds (1 MINUTE) you will then have the BPM. You double your count when you want to do it quick, you count for 30 seconds and then double that.

Example, Michael Jackson's Billie Jean I leave is 116 BPM. If you count the beat, you should count it 116 times in a 1 MINUTE time frame

BPM and mixing in key are important to creating a seamless mix. Have you ever noticed that some songs seem to melt into each other when they are mixed together? That's because they're in the same musical key, called Harmonic Mixing. Other mixes are possible with keys in the same families but they won't sound quite as good as being in the same key but are acceptable.

They there's those songs that no matter how hard you try to mix them they sound like crap, nails on a chalkboard, a train wreck.... that's because they are off key and are not in musically related keys.

Here's more info on mixing in key:
http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/index.mv

Thanks Doug I was giving lesson one you gave lesson two along with Breakz though my way is on the one beat which means I double it. At 30 seconds I double it and double it again or simply quadruple it and my numbers are as accurate as a metronomes count.
Doug a bunch of local DJs on radio and in clubs have no sense of the harmonic keyes and even though todays systems pretty much will mix a flawless mix by itself it still sounds like crap. Ive heard many mixes on here ODJT that were decent with the harmonic portion but not so good on the flow mix but more like slam mixes. I am amazed how it seems like so few truly know the proper technique or have the proper ear. I guess its truly a gift. I almost feel like I unfairly mix now with my HD2500 its like spreadin butta though when using CDS on the 4500 setup its more of a challenge cause no true back cueing effect.Previously I mixed with my CDMIX2 that was a bit challenging at times though I could kick em out fairly confident and smooth.

Doug the only time you can mix those is when you can get the drum track of a remixed version or a drum intro or outro without any keys in one or the other.

Hi!
One remind guys.With every change of pitch we change the key too.So if we mix together two songs with originaly same BPM and with same key OK.But if we mix originaly song at 113 and other one 118 bpm at 116 than we have two changed keys.

And of course SEXYBACK & THE WAY I ARE stick nice together in the mix.They are both from Timbaland.

Hi!
One remind guys.With every change of pitch we change the key too.So if we mix together two songs with originaly same BPM and with same key OK.But if we mix originaly song at 113 and other one 118 bpm at 116 than we have two changed keys.

And of course SEXYBACK & THE WAY I ARE stick nice together in the mix.They are both from Timbaland.

So are you saying we should NOT mix a song that is 113 to 118 (for example) Where are you going with that post?

It depends on what keys the songs are recorded in. By speeding one up or slowing one down you alter the key of the mix. Or you split the difference raise one a little and lower the other a little to meet in the middle.

Again when you pitch up or pitch down the bpm you are changing the key of the music, which depending on the keys you start with, may or may not be a good thing.

When you learn how to mix in keys you can learn to RAISE the energy of the mix, while actually Slowing the tempo. If you take the time to learn a little bit about music theory, you'll have a major tool in your arsenal to make your mixes blow the floor away!

Right click on this and save.

This is a mix I did a while back in Aug.

I just recorded myself live for the heck of it.
I got tired of the same ole mix when the kids want hip hop, so I just mashed em up....

Goodknight DJ said this was the list of songs...I didn't bother posting a playlist

Dem Franchize Boys - Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It
Mims f. Junior Redi & Cham - This Is Why I'm Hot (Blackout Remix) 80bpm
Chamillionaire - Ridin'
Shop Boyz - Party Like A Rockstar 72bpm
UNK - Walk It Out (Remix) (PO Clean)
Crime Mob featuring Lil' Scrappy - Rock You Hips
Huey - Pop, Lock & Drop It
Young Dro F_ T.I - Shoulder Lean (PO Clean Edit)
D4L - Laffy Taffy
Lil' Jon F._E-40 & Sean Paul Of The YoungBloodz - Snap Yo Fingers (PO Clean Edit)
Lil Bossie Feat. Yung Joc - Zoom (Clean Edit) @
Jibbs - Chain Hang Low
Webstar & Young B Feat. The Voice Of Harlem - Chicken Noodle Soup (Radio Edit So Tight)
Jim Jones - We Fly High [Xtra Clean]
Terror Squad - Lean Back
Ying Yang Twins Ft. Lil' Jon & The East Side Boyz - Salt Shaker
Ciara feat. Petey Pablo - Goodies
J-Kwon - Tipsy
Eve - Tambourine 103bpm
Amerie - Take Control
Cassie - Me & U
VA - Give It To Me

I think you guys are going WAY too deep into this. Yes, you can get that technical with mixing. I am NOT saying you are wrong, just taking it a little too far. I know a lot of world class DJs that travel all over the U.S. and other countries DJing and not one of them get that technical in a mix.

My feeling on the situation is you either have it or you done. If you need to get that technical to mix 2 tracks then you don't have an ear for music and you need to do something else.

I personally have NEVER taken my mix that deep. It might just be me, but I know from listening to music, what songs mix well together and what songs don't ... and based on my demand in the clubs around here and the feedback I get from the crowds, I think I am doing a pretty good job!

Unless you are going to produce music, I don't think you need to get that technical and I think it is VERY confusion to someone just starting out.

jt, I give you an A for effort on the mix, but personally I was not impressed. A good number of the mixes had many points where they were off beat and a lot of them mixed words over words which makes the mix very messy.

** a tip to all ... If you are going to get into heavy beat mixing learn to mix with the channel faders instead of the crossfader. You will get cleaner transitions in between songs. Also learn how to manipulate the EQs to make your mixers smoother.

though as stated JT's mix is good. There are many who cant even reach that level. Breakz I know you to study the mix well and BPMS etc but in fact cant you hear the train wrekcs occuring when some of the so called World Class DJs run their fingers over the chalk board in the process? Sometimes I think ony a few of us hear the reality.

Finally Your account of JT'S mix were accurate and in a few cases they were bit slam mixed however I think he did it in quick fashion more so for folks to see how one could satisfy the kids with songs they demand yet keep the questionable content and lyrics at bay to satisfy the administrators present. I do have to school you in one area though beyond the need for keys matching. You claim the sliders versus Faders I must clearly say POTATO!! I would wreck every train in Grand Central Station attempting to mix without my Fader and I have been known as quite the mixer in my club days and still pull em off flawlessly when needed.

jt, I give you an A for effort on the mix, but personally I was not impressed. A good number of the mixes had many points where they were off beat and a lot of them mixed words over words which makes the mix very messy.

** a tip to all ... If you are going to get into heavy beat mixing learn to mix with the channel faders instead of the crossfader. You will get cleaner transitions in between songs. Also learn how to manipulate the EQs to make your mixers smoother.

The original intent of that mix was to:

A. Put as much crap hip hop into 30 minutes as I could.
B. Record it Live
C. Distribute it to folks who want to hit play at 11:30 and watch kids go nuts.

It was recorded live on Numark Axis 9's through a Numark cheapo mixer straight into a computer. No Vestax or Rane.....yet.....
I do mix with both the volume and the faders and EQ as well.
I'm a wedding DJ, not a club DJ by trade.

Thanks for your feedback!