Sound Level Meter On Sale (Amazon) Today (Sunday 07-23-17 Only)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Oooohhh...those older JBL tops were notorious for that!

Nope, he has the new ones. 15" PRX series. They're freakin brittle sounding. He has a QSC KW181 sub. Lots of volume but it's very tubby sounding. Not sure how much it would clean up with a compressor in the chain.

Reactions: ittigger
"James Bullough Lansing (born James Martini, January 14, 1902 – September 24, 1949) was a pioneering American audio engineer and loudspeaker designer who was most notable for establishing two audio companies that bear his name, Altec Lansing and JBL, the latter taken from his initials."

Darnedest thing - I always thought that stood for Junk But Loud - the Ghost of EON's past. Also of note -

"James Lansing was noted as an innovative engineer, but a poor businessman. As a result of deteriorating business conditions and personal problems, he took his own life by hanging himself in his home in San Marcos on September 24, 1949."

As a kid I'd go to the movies, and hidden up on the stage, behind the screen, would usually be two huge Lansing horn loaded speakers that were shockingly good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger

Bought one of these... just came today. Since nobody ever answered my question about having tested a meter like this against an app on an iPhone, I'll do it myself.[emoji1]... Not today, but soon... And I may or may not share the results.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SEDJ and ittigger
Make sure you test it against a "good" meter app ... I had to pay for mine: SPL Meter | Studio Six Digital

OK... just sitting here in front of the TV, I did a quick comparison. I use DB Meter Pro by Performance Audio. I think I paid $1.99 for it. I purchased SPL Meter Pro for $5.99. And of course, I'm comparing them to Dr. Meter Sound Level Meter. Just with the default settings, SPL Meter Pro returned results VERY close to the Dr. Meter... 1 or 2db difference on 55-60db. DB Meter Pro was off by more than 10%, but I was able to calibrate it to match SPL Meter. I have not compared them with louder music yet, so those results will come tomorrow when the wife is at work.[emoji4]

Maybe one day I will I test the level meter app I have , but I have nothing to compare it too, so I suppose that would just be a waste.

If you're not using SPL Meter Pro, I guess you could get it and compare yours to it. It seemed to give readings pretty close to Dr. Meter right out of the box. Of course, it could be that the Dr. Meter was WRONG. Who knows? Maybe the DB Meter app I was using was right and SPL Meter was wrong?[emoji1] Maybe I should buy another sound level meter to compare my new Dr. Meter to?[emoji1] But then, if the readings differ, how would I know which one is correct?... I'd have to buy yet another one![emoji1]...

Reactions: Valerie Hicks
If you're not using SPL Meter Pro, I guess you could get it and compare yours to it. It seemed to give readings pretty close to Dr. Meter right out of the box. Of course, it could be that the Dr. Meter was WRONG. Who knows? Maybe the DB Meter app I was using was right and SPL Meter was wrong?[emoji1] Maybe I should buy another sound level meter to compare my new Dr. Meter to?[emoji1] But then, if the readings differ, how would I know which one is correct?... I'd have to buy yet another one![emoji1]...

You could always pick up a calibrator: https://www.gamut.com/p/flir-sound-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIesiJHbuNUCFdVBNwodRw0GmQ

or rent one that has a calibration certificate: Rental - Noise and Vibration Equipment Rental

... but how do you know the calibrator is accurate?[emoji1]

At some point you need to put your fate in God's or Apple's hand ...

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
Ha! Never had a DB problem at any DJ gig.
In fact, never had one with any of the live band gigs I've done.
Then again, when you're doing a community festival,
you're already working closely with local authorities...
(who are directly benefitting from the event)