Sound Level Meter On Sale (Amazon) Today (Sunday 07-23-17 Only)

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
OK... just sitting here in front of the TV, I did a quick comparison. I use DB Meter Pro by Performance Audio. I think I paid $1.99 for it. I purchased SPL Meter Pro for $5.99. And of course, I'm comparing them to Dr. Meter Sound Level Meter. Just with the default settings, SPL Meter Pro returned results VERY close to the Dr. Meter... 1 or 2db difference on 55-60db. DB Meter Pro was off by more than 10%, but I was able to calibrate it to match SPL Meter. I have not compared them with louder music yet, so those results will come tomorrow when the wife is at work.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK... I didn't do the loud music test yesterday... It rained all day. When I start music up on my DJ system, my dogs immediately bolt outside (they have a doggy door), and won't come back inside until I stop. If they went outside yesterday, they would have gotten soaked, then I'd have to towel dry them.[emoji1]

Funny thing is, they don't mind the stereo playing at the exact same volume. I think it stems from one day when I was practicing and I was playing Gnarles Barkley's Crazy with the subs turned up REAL loud. I didn't realize their doggy door was locked and they couldn't get out. Now they bolt every time they see me turn on my DJ system.[emoji1]

Anyway, I'll try to do a comparison with the meters and loud music later today. It's nice outside, so my dogs will likely spend most of the day out there anyway.[emoji4]

upload_2017-8-2_11-4-5.png

Last edited:
Alright; here's the result of the Dr. Meter test against SPL Meter Pro and dB Meter Pro iPhone apps, while playing loud music. Essentially, the results were the same as with moderate decibel levels. At 80-90 dB, SPL Meter was within a dB or two of the readings shown on the Dr. Meter. With dB Meter Pro, I had to increase the Calibration setting by +3, and the Sensitivity setting by .40 to match the readings on the Dr. Meter.

So if anyone ever asks if an iPhone sound level meter app is as accurate as an actual sound level meter, the answer is YES, but some calibration may be necessary depending on the chosen app. Thank you, and goodnight.[emoji1]

If you're not using SPL Meter Pro, I guess you could get it and compare yours to it. It seemed to give readings pretty close to Dr. Meter right out of the box. Of course, it could be that the Dr. Meter was WRONG. Who knows? Maybe the DB Meter app I was using was right and SPL Meter was wrong?[emoji1] Maybe I should buy another sound level meter to compare my new Dr. Meter to?[emoji1] But then, if the readings differ, how would I know which one is correct?... I'd have to buy yet another one![emoji1]...

Correct, I am not using SPL Meter Pro, I am using , its just called SPL Meter, and when I say use, I mean, I DL the app and forgot about it pretty much.

Sounds like you should open up Bob's Meters.