Strange sub issue

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I'm still going with the wrong phase setting on one of the subs ..

Reactions: Andy A
This is not rocket science. Since you are daisy chaining the K10's off of the subs, it's easy, don't hook them up - run just the subs.
Now, got bass? If not, it has to be either phasing between the two subs, or it's not in the signal at all - odds are you don't have two bad subs.*

*Exception - are these the subs you said had a control that physically stuck out past the cabinet and was susceptible to damage?

Reactions: ittigger
I'm still going with the wrong phase setting on one of the subs ..

I'm betting you're right. Handinon, yes, these are the ones where the knob sticks out but both knobs were fine, no damage. I'll be using them on Sunday and will check it out then.

If your going thru a mixer,,,, I know sometimes the 80 hz cut is in on that channel! Only because the last show sometimes I use mic. That gets me sometimes.

If I had no bass from my system I don't think I would wait until I'm on another job site to find out why. I'd have that system setup in the shop and tested before it went back on the rack.
I would have to agree. I have hooked pretty much everything up in the house at 1 time or another and have tried but didn't have enough room for everything. Test, test, test.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
IMG_0004.PNG I think you need some more expensive patchcords! Ha!
Heres one. That will certainly bring your bass response back! Hurry up only 10 left!

They probably only have 10 to start with! Wow you think for 14,000 bucks they would have free shipping?
Jus kidding! :laugh:

Last edited:
The material differences between stage, floor, concrete, etc. would all be rather subtle compared to the complete lack of bass he is describing. So little bass - that a single Peavey 15" was able to save the day.

That implies something cut out his signal - either by phase or cross-over. He just needs to find out if the issue is at the speaker/crossover or at the source (mixer terminations/cables)

Reactions: Jeff Romard
... I have hooked pretty much everything up in the house at 1 time or another and have tried but didn't have enough room for everything. Test, test, test.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My primary DJ system (the large rack) is almost always set up in my house. I have a long narrow space next to the kitchen, half of which is used as my office, and the other half is a dinette space. However, the table and chairs reside in the garage most of the time, and I use the dinette space to hook up my PA system and lights. The garage would be too uncomfortable... always too hot or too cold. Right now I have the full system hooked up, including lights, while I'm learning to use the DMX control software on my video/light control PC. Also, It keeps most of my gear inside the house, rather than sitting outside in the minivan.

Being home by myself during the week days, I can crank up the system and listen to music while I'm doing other stuff. If I have a new component, or if something isn't working right, I can work out the kinks before affecting any live gig.

I find I listen to music on my DJ system at home almost as much as I listen on my home stereo. I'm really enjoying the Bluetooth capability of this new Denon mixer... playing music from my tablet.[emoji4]

Well folks, the rig is working perfectly. The subs were both in-phase. I have them in a barn venue, about the same distance apart with top over sub on each side. I have the subs about 75% and they match up to the K10s perfectly (also at 75% up). Man, this is a nice-sounding rig. Lots of bass and without the tubby sound. One thing I noticed was that the tops were set to mic input level (not line level). When I flipped them back, it works perfectly. Kinda makes me wonder if my other DJ friend wasn't running his Mackies (that burned up) at mic level.

I don't know what kind of Mackies he has but the srm450s go into mic level when the volume is over 12 oclock. I never really knew that when I had them but I never needed to crank them up that high.

I don't know what kind of Mackies he has but the srm450s go into mic level when the volume is over 12 oclock. I never really knew that when I had them but I never needed to crank them up that high.

He's had a newer pair of Mackie 15 tops for the past year or so. Said one of them blew a speaker and the other had the amp fry. He had a pair of Peavey powered pr15s that he used for years before that. I'm really wondering if he hasn't been running his Mackies at mic level, which would explain why they're toast after a couple of seasons. He's borrowing my pair of EV Livex-12s tonight (an old pair). Hope he runs them on line level.

Okay, just confirmed, he runs his tops in mic input mode. Am I wrong in telling him that will burn his speakers up prematurely?
Maybe .. depends on the limiting circuitry. Yes, the mic position will pump the signal up, but if the speakers are doing their job, the limiters should cut the signal no differently than if you run a hot line signal. On lower end speakers (and yes I consider the Mackies and Peaveys in that category .. especially ones from a while ago .. and I had a pair of SRM450s), the lower quality mic preamps might actually add some distortion to the line level signal and could contribute to a shorter life.