The iCard...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

rlelek

New DJ
Oct 8, 2006
San Francisco, CA
www.ryanlelek.com
Hey everyone. Just thought I would let you in on a little idea of mine. The iCard (short for the "ideal card") is designed and developed by me. I take what people like, throw it on a card, give it to them, and they LOVE it. Am I mad??? Perhaps I am, but it does not really matter. The iCard's popularity around my school is a fact and is a way to "stick it to the man".

Many people think I am absolutely nuts when they hear about this, so that's why I wrote a few blogs on iCard's Myspace. Maybe it will all make sense to you once you read them, but it may not. It is rather confusing, but I tried my best in explaining it. So please head on over to.....

www.myspace.com/icards

...to see some iCards and find out what they are all about.

Click it... You know you want to.....

Please post some suggestions/thoughts here if you can....

rlelek

iCard...Explained

I still don't get them ryan. Are these ID cards... to be used for?

Yes, these are ID cards. Please read the Blog excerpt from iCard's myspace below and check out iCard's blog if you get a chance...

"iCards......

What are they???

Where did they come from???

What do they do???

This Blog entry should answer all of your questions...

BACKGROUND

iCards were designed two years ago because the regular school's lunch cards' barcodes were wearing off and didn't work. You would have to have paid five dollars in order to get a new one. I did not believe in paying for something that was not my fault. The cards wore down through regular use and I had not done anything wrong. I just used it how it was intended to be used.

Then, an idea hit me. "When you can't beat 'em, join em." That is exactly what I did. I started working on the project to be later known as "iCard".

After developing the basic layout and design, it was time for a test. The first iCard (not yet complete) was taped on the back of my regular lunch card. I had forgotten my barcode had worn off so I had no choice but to see if what I had designed actually worked. A quick swipe and a beep later, i was in business. My name showed up on the first try, and it went from there...

When I sat back at my table, still in shock from what had happened, I looked at the old card compared to my newly designed one. they were almost identical. I thought this would be thought of as a counterfeit or an attempt at forgery, so, I decided to step away from the pack. I wanted to establish something that would grab attention, be unique, and yet, be fully functional.

I started asking people what they enjoyed. The first answer I recieved was "Adio". That was where I would start. I threw some Adio logos on the iCard where our regular picture was and added a crazy font and colors to match. I printed it out, sealed it, and packaged it. The first iCard was born.

When i showed the iCard to people reactions were more than i had expected. Everyone loved it and wanted one of their own. Not everyone liked the Adio logo, however. That is when iCard started to be custom. Eveyone likes different things, so no iCard would be right for everybody.

Future developments of the iCard, including a "Pink Floyd" and "Got Milk?" editions, were made a few weeks later. All had not been tested. and the barcodes were blurry. I decide to try one. I swiped, but no beep. I swiped again, but with the same result. This puzzled me greatly. Luckily, I had the working iCard in my hand just in case something like this was to go wrong. When I scanned that one, a high-pitched beep sounded from the scanner.

I tried one after the other. Not one custom prototype had worked. The only working iCard that had worked was the original. I decided it was not safe to release the "Adio" edition to that person. It was useless. the iCard project was then abandoned, never to see the light of day again....until now......

RESURRECTION

On Sunday, January 21, 2007, I decided to give the iCard another try. The new theme was none other than "Da Bears". I felt they were the perfect people to make an iCard about because of their awesome season this year. It was completed the same day along with a "Burton" prototype. These were the new iCards and they WORKED. This eventually led to the creation of this myspace profile and this blog.

THE CARDS TODAY

The iCards continue to be custom made. Any theme you suggest to us will be tested out and hopefully made into an official release. If you already like one of the premade themes, just tell us which theme you would like and we will make it for you.

iCards also continue to be FREE. The only requirement is to support iCard by adding us as your friend on myspace. It is through this method in which we can guage the popularity of the iCard. This will also lead into improvements in the newly developed iCard by making it even more technologically advanced.

Thanks for your support.

THE LAUNCH

For launch information and instructions on how you can get your very own iCard FREE of charge can be found in another blog entry in iCard's profile.

***This blog entry will be updated occasionally. Please check back for updates.

^^^There you have it^^^:sqwink:

rlelek

It's a cool idea, however what happens when the technology although created for good gets abused somehow, I don't know how they do it at your schools or in your area. I got to a school of 200 students in the entire building, and we know each other by name and face, not to mention the Teachers are actively involved with the students and being such a small school everybody knows each others biz. if something or somebody was outta place, the whole campus would know it.

Anyways sorry about that spurt of extra info. But what if you grab somebody elses pin id number/barcode then the system gets abused. I don't know, tell me what they use these cards for.

well...I have taken this into consideration. At lunch each day, we scan a barcode so we can access our account and money to buy lunch. the barcode is made from our student ID number.

When the reciever obtains their new iCard, they will be signing a privacy policy stating I and no other will steal or give out info to the best of our ability, and it is not our fault if this were to happen, despite our efforts.

There is also something that will be stating the receiver has provided the CORRECT information and ONLY their information.

If this does cause a problem at school, I am totally covered, supposedly. If anything, this will wake up the school to stop charging $5 a lunch card if one wears down from regular use. Who knows? they may actually team up with me......

Hope this helps,

rlelek

* Thanks goes out to the Privacy Policy writer who will remain anonymous unless consent is given.

When I was thirteen I was only concerned if boss hog was gonna catch the Dukes these kids to day are way too smart

are these laminated as well? sorry only skimmed through the info.

In that case, your on the right track, good entrepreneur stance you are taking, especially as an 13 year old.

Well, because these cards are given out at no charge, they are not laminated. They are simply sealed with a special product that is like lamination. There are many upgrades available after a set amount of donation (think PBS). This is all in iCard's blog on www.myspace.com/icards

Thanks,

rlelek

*These upgrades include: better paper, better design, smaller layouts, and tatoos!!!

When I was thirteen I was only concerned if boss hog was gonna catch the Dukes these kids to day are way too smart

I was thinking about what I would do with Daisy... you know... cuz she wanted me so badly....

no thanks - if I was forced into this I would leave....

I really like the idea, rlelek! The only thing I would be worried about is the schools administration coming down on me for "counter fitting." Even though you're using the persons' correct information the card isn't official. Sort like me copying my drivers license, with all my correct information. A cop is still going to bust me for having a fake ID.

--
To think when I went to school, we paid for lunch with good old fashioned paper money! ;)

"I wouldn't have got got if it weren't for those meddling kids"
Do you know what show used that regularly at the end?

Dude, you are too smart rlelek

So, basically...

...you're replacing the issued lunch cards that the school gives each student, with a custom card? So this card is sorta like a school credit card... right?

Not a bad idea. I'd charge $4 each and save the student a buck, with one free replacement. Then, next year, they'll all want to buy a new one anyhow. Laminate them with heavy pouches the size of a card.

Does the bar code strip need to be printed with magnetized ink?

here are some more quick shouts and responses...

DJDan: you are 100% correct. The school probably would come down on me. I have thought this through though. the first iCard that was made was almost identical to our issued lunch cards. That is when I decided to step away from the pack, and remove the attempted forgery. By making the iCards stand out and look nothing like an original ID card, I have taken something and made it my own (think walmart brands of other products). The school has the option to not accept the card. That is their choice and I will totally comply. Just because we cannot use them does not mean they should not be produced!!! MORE iCards!!! MORE MORE MORE!!! who knows? perhaps everyone in the school will use the iCard, throw the official ones away, and not buy the lunch. lol. I would put the school cafeteria out of business :).

DJBrianB: I sure hope so... But just because they will not let you use one does not mean you cannot have one ;) (think cell phones)

jtnichol: well thanks. (s*****-d** by the way) but if people did not meddle, where would the fun/justice be?

Tyrone Blue: It is almost exactly like a school credit card, but not as advanced. Just a simple barcode on a card with a name, other info, and a picture. That's about it. We are working on 2D barcodes (almost complete) and that magnetic ink just in case the school would like to play tricky ;)

P.S. the 2D barcodes would be used for a future release (it is in the blogon myspace) and totally eliminate the need for a card....can ya guess what it is??? BTW, a 2D barcode is like what is on the back of a driver's license

okay.....now for everyone....

THANK YOU ALL....

To show my appreciation, I will make something for all of you tonight or tomorrow. hmm.....What can it be???

I guess you will have to wait and find out......:)

rlelek

The school will come after you. They would want to get in on the action and then have THEM make a profit off of the sales.