This is REAL DJing...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Incredible contraption, huh? Can you imagine the engineering that went into that? I saw one many years ago in a museum in Sarasota, Florida, which was filled with all sorts of similar devices. I'm pretty sure it was a Ringling museum... may have even been part of the Old Car Museum, now that I think about it. That was about 50 years ago, so my memory is a little hazy.[emoji1] Not sure if that museum even exists anymore? I went to Ringling Art School, which still exists, but so many of the institutes founded by the Ringling Brothers are now defunct, including the circus just this month. Much of our history and culture is slowly disappearing.[emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Absolutely. I was sad to hear about the Ringling Bros. Circus. That was such an American showbiz icon, such an awesome thing when we were kids.
I went to Ringling when I was very young; maybe it was the impressionable age, but after that, I saw the Shrine Circus several times and it was never as good as Ringling.

Yeah, those devices are amazing. I'm convinced we are actually getting dumber, except for perhaps a select few individuals, but we are losing a lot of that engineering and mechanical knowhow, quickly being replaced by "there's an app for that." Except, there isn't an app for everything, and if we ever do have to deal with a catastrophic event, and people can't use their computers or smart phones (solar flare or emp, maybe?), I think we could be in big trouble.

I've been researching old music players, and there were a lot of cool (and very "hi-fi" for the time) machines out there. Watch this all the way through if you can, if not, and you want to see another "semi-automated one-man band" machine, scoot forward to about the 13:00 minute mark--

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mwfvpje5C8&feature=youtu.be

GJ

OK... Now I'm feeling really old.[emoji1] I found the Web site for the Sarasota Classic Car Museum, and it's still there... right across the street from the Ringling Art Museum. Doesn't look like it still has the old music machines, but it still has the antique arcade games and the antique cameras.

Now for the funny part. Mind you, it has been almost 50 years since I was last there... I watched a video on their site and most of the "classic" cars displayed were built AFTER I was last there. One of the cars was a 1967 Pontiac, just like the one we probably drove there the last time I visited the museum.[emoji1] Many of the cars I remember from the early 1900's to the mid 50's are either gone, or not featured in the video. When I was a young art student, we were given free access to all the attractions in town, and I went there and drew a picture of a 1937 Cord... one of my prized pieces. Didn't see the Cord in the video. Makes you feel pretty old though when the items in a museum are from your lifetime.[emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger