This sound system was way overkill, but...

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
In this era I would not bring all that gear to a gig. Too much work with hooking up all those lights and the speaker stacks are just not necessary. 2 Tops, a sub and my mixing console will get the job done better and more efficiently.

I agree, but the reason I posted this was because even though it was a huge system, he (1) did not overuse it and turn it way up and (2) it really sounded smooth and gentle...for lack of a better word.

And both those comments show my expectations were incorrect.

Lights aside, I love his setup. It is big sounds great and does not have to be pushed for most gigs. My system is basically the same, 4 subs tops and an amp rack. I never have to push it hard at most gigs but I can do an outdoor gig or a large high school without having to rent more speakers. I know the advantage of active systems but I like amps, speakers and processors as separate components.

Reactions: Ausumm and dunlopj
It blows my mind when I see DJs that still treat weddings like their personal advertising platform.

I don't do it...I have in the past but just felt it looked classier not to but it's another one of those things that DJ's worry about that others don't. I've seen signs for videographers, Photographers, Caterers, and limos have their name on the side most times yet it's an atrocity if a DJ has a sign

I don't do it...I have in the past but just felt it looked classier not to but it's another one of those things that DJ's worry about that others don't. I've seen signs for videographers, Photographers, Caterers, and limos have their name on the side most times yet it's an atrocity if a DJ has a sign

I actually remember getting a "Vendor Policies" Sheet from one venue a few years ago, and one of their policies was that "Vendors are not allowed to put up any signage of any kind during the event. Business Cards are not allowed to be placed on guest tables as well" as one of their rules on the sheet. I guess the management felt it was tacky of vendors to be doing that at their venue. ...Maybe they had too Many DJs hanging up tacky signage during weddings.

I have seen some DJs put logos on the back of their laptop, and it's big enough for guests to read. ...Is that the Subtle way to have signage up at the event?

I actually remember getting a "Vendor Policies" Sheet from one venue a few years ago, and one of their policies was that "Vendors are not allowed to put up any signage of any kind during the event. Business Cards are not allowed to be placed on guest tables as well" as one of their rules on the sheet. I guess the management felt it was tacky of vendors to be doing that at their venue. ...Maybe they had too Many DJs hanging up tacky signage during weddings.

I have seen some DJs put logos on the back of their laptop, and it's big enough for guests to read. ...Is that the Subtle way to have signage up at the event?

Totally, a laptop logo is not particularly offensive. I've also seen guys like Tony Schwartz use custom vinyl that has his logo on it for his turntables. I think that's an appropriate usage as well.

But personally, my laptop cover is completely black. The Apple logo shows through it though.

Wait so this isn't ok at a wedding?!
20161021_065955.jpg

(Just kidding, that was a Township Fall Fest/Car Show).

Logo on laptop..if not mine then you'll see hp or toshiba's depending on which laptop i'm using.
It does work to get my name out there - people come up at weddings and say "Hey, iceburgh, can you play..." Name and logo, no contact info.
Usually late in the evening 'll put a few cards on the guest book table.

Attachments

• 20160709_164626.jpg
    20160709_164626.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Jeff Romard
Here's what I have... although it hasn't been cool for a few years haha:

_DSC0511.jpg

I like being remembered because the event was great. I recently booked a wedding where the bride saw me at a wedding reception 9 years ago and said it was the best reception she's ever been at.

Word of mouth is great, but if they don't know who you are….?

"The DJ did a great job".

If you saw a great DJ, and you know who's party you were at, it should be pretty easy to get to that info. If I knew that my friend had a great painter for his house and I needed one, I would certainly ask.

Word of mouth is great, but if they don't know who you are….?
"The DJ did a great job".

True...
but if someone thinks I did a great job,
and they are looking for a DJ...
then they would certainly come up and talk to me or ask for a biz card!

How much rig do you need for 65 people regardless of room size?
Enough so it won't sound hollow. Like I said before you can have all of that but that doesn't mean you have to go crazy with the volume thinking you're impressing the people. You also can make the mistake of not having enough and having to go crazy with pushing the system and it will sound like crap. That's because you didn't bring enough. On the flip side just because you have all of that doesn't mean you got to use it either. What you use would depend on both the size of the room and the number of people there..

Reactions: DJKLEEN
And just because you have "all of that", doesn't mean you need to bring it either. It's OK to have a bit too much .. it's just crazy to have WAYYY too much.