This year makes 30 years for me as a DJ.

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
This is my 30th year anniversary as a DJ. Still going on. Looking at what to do for a 30th year anniversary celebration. My first stent was 13 years and now I have been back for 17 years. That adds up to 30 years. I thank God for saving my life and setting me up to come back to do what I love.

Long story short how he did it was this. I went to an oldies but goodies party and they had this man older then me doing the party. I thought this old man will be corny. I saw he had some great gear. I just figured he was going to do a sorry job. He did a GREAT JOB! That had me thinking if he could do it I was coming back. That it wasn't over for me. This is after I wasn't even going to go to the party. God placed me where I needed to be that night.

I didn't know how I was going to do it. I just knew I was coming back. I put in for a vacation loan at the credit union and got it. The check was a little over $2,300. I asked a friend of mine where I worked at who still is a DJ where to buy some gear. I went to GC like he said and bought my first setup coming back. It's been a great ride coming back. I'm just thinking how I can have a special celebration for my 30 years as a DJ.

By the way don't worry I got jobs lined up where they automatically want me and don't want to look anywhere else. I just need to find out what's wrong with my EFX 500. It is giving me trouble. I know I'm hooking it up right but when hooked up I get nothing but the meters on both sides hitting red and no sound. I hook the speakers up through the controller and no issues. I don't get why it's doing this. Any suggestions?

Anyhow hope this year is good to all of us here. Not just with business but health wise.

Reactions: PhaseIIPro
Congrats Mix there's not a lot of us around that long. November marks 34 years for me and May 23 it will be 27 in business for myself

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
congrats Mix Master Macho Man!! Keep it simple one day at a time.

Now that right there is some funny shit..............
Why is that funny? A friend of mine promotes parties all the time and people pay to come to his parties. The people love his parties. He has them in very nice places and a lot of times he has people that are very well known to perform at his parties. Such as Kenny Bobien. Things didn't happen over night where he could get 500 people or more to come to his parties. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to get him there.

Why is that funny? A friend of mine promotes parties all the time and people pay to come to his parties. The people love his parties. He has them in very nice places and a lot of times he has people that are very well known to perform at his parties. Such as Kenny Bobien. Things didn't happen over night where he could get 500 people or more to come to his parties. It took a lot of hard work and dedication to get him there.
Being a promoter is one thing .. being a pimp for your own party is another. I think everyone is OK with promoting .. not self-serving.

I did my thirty year in business party a couple of years ago in the bar where the business really got going over 300 people invited probably 200 plus attended, the bar made money off the booze I provided finger foods and entertainment no cover charge between the food and advertising I spent about $2000, I was amazed at the turn out who would have thought this guy from small town southwest Wisconsin would have so many people come out and congratulate him I did it for the memories not for profit

It's good to still be alive....
even better to still be LIVING!
Keep working, Mix...it'll keep you young!

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
Congrats on 30 years... but why throw yourself a party? Modesty goes a long way.

Incidentally, this is my 30th year as well. My first official gig - a 7th & 8th grade dance at the George R. Austin Middle School - took place in October of 1986. Great gig!

I wouldn't start another thread about this part. I just came back from a VFW Hall in Union, NJ on High Street. Nice venue. Not a fancy catering hall but it's a nice place to have an event there and not a ton of money to have it there. Just so Bob knows like I said at times we can help a client out with a venue which in return can help the venue as well. If a client decides to have their event in a certain venue it can be a win win for all involved. The venue gets a booking and you get to be the DJ who does the event most like. That can go a long ways in the venues eyes. Especially if you do a really good job. Being helpful to a client can win brownie points as well as they can recommend you to their family and friends.

This place is right off of Styvesant Ave. They have 2 parking lots I think and that's a great thing. The place can hold 150 people and the setup can be for 16 tables with 8 to a table. At least that's what I counted when I looked upstairs. They don't have a problem with people bringing in their own food and drinks. So that's something else to consider as well. To rent the place for 4 hours is $775.00 and 5 hours is $900.00

Seriously considering having a party with my really good DJ friend that played in the Private Place Lounge before it closed down. I would look to make that my anniversary party more then likely. The party would be from 7pm till midnight. That's the longest they will allow for an event as the town ordinance is setup that way. We would have to be out of the building by 1am and they allow 2 hours for the DJ to setup for an event. hat's enough time I feel. Here are pictures I took of the room upstairs. The only bad thing is you have to go up some stairs to get to the room. they even have kitchen area with a microwave. To rent the place they require a $400.00 deposit. That's not bad either. The big thing for me is it's in a nice area and the place is decent looking. Not a place that looks like a hole in the wall. One last thing that is good too is it has a stage that you can use for your setup with a table on the stage.

Attachments

• IMG_6204.JPG
    IMG_6204.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6205.JPG
    IMG_6205.JPG
    216.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6206.JPG
    IMG_6206.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6207.JPG
    IMG_6207.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6208.JPG
    IMG_6208.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6209.JPG
    IMG_6209.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6210.JPG
    IMG_6210.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6211.JPG
    IMG_6211.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6212.JPG
    IMG_6212.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6213.JPG
    IMG_6213.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6214.JPG
    IMG_6214.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 15
Or you can go the Westwood - their rooms rent from $200 to $750 for 4 hours (based on room size).

Considering that, it sounds like the VFW is overcharging you - go for it.
You miss understand something. In the Westwood you can't bring in your own food or booze. Not even an outside cater with the food. You must don't know what most of the nice VFW Halls charge. They charge what they do because most of them keep the price low to get people coming in to buy drinks from the bar. That's where they make up the difference.

Same thing with the Westwood. They make up the difference in the price for the food and drinks.

You miss understand something. In the Westwood you can't bring in your own food or booze. Not even an outside cater with the food. You must don't know what most of the nice VFW Halls charge. They charge what they do because most of them keep the price low to get people coming in to buy drinks from the bar. That's where they make up the difference.

Same thing with the Westwood. They make up the difference in the price for the food and drinks.

You misunderstand something. $775 for a room when you can possibly spend less. That VFW hall looks like many I've seen before - and you can get them for less than $775. In order to 'rent' a hall, it has to be sponsored by a member - do you think a member would pay MORE for a room they could get elsewhere for cheaper? Before you answer that, would they continue to buy alcohol there if it cost more than somewhere else?

You most likely cannot bring your own booze into the VFW either. They have laws that they have to follow. I'm also pretty sure that the food at the Westwood is probably better than some food brought in. Even though you're bringing in food, someone is buying it. What's the cost difference? Is it hot food? If so, is it still hot when it gets served?

Financially, if I got the smallest room at $200, that's a $575 difference - that can buy quite a bit of food. Regardless, it seems to me you'd be getting more for your money at The Westwood - but it's your money, spend it as you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff Romard
Hey .. You were planning on charging anyway .. what's a few extra bucks to get good food AND hear the great Mix play?

Ittigger you need to understand this part. You don't go into a place like the Westwood and only expect to $775.00 or less. Such places don't work like that for 2 reasons. 1 they have a bigger overhead then a VFW Hall. They have a staff to pay and not just a couple of guys setting up tables and chairs. Some are full time staff. If you worked there wouldn't you want to get paid? Another thing for either one is both places need to make a profit of ome kind to stay in business. Your thinking would have both of them closing their doors within a year of opening. If you went to a place like the Westwood looking to pend $775.00 or less to have an event there, you would be shown the door quickly. They would give you the address to the nearest VFW Hall. The 2nd thing is they set their prices up that way to attract a certain crowd to their place.

You have places out there that are cheaper then that VFW Hall that I posted pictures of. The problem is a lot of those places will allow anybody to come in and have an event in their place. Thus you can be subject to any kind of drama in a place like that. This VFW Hall is a nice looking place in a nice area. It's a place where mature adults won't mind coming to.

Steve thanks for the compliment but I don't know about him coming to hear the great Mix play. I believe in what I do and I believe I am good at what I do. All this great stuff is subject to individual interpretation.

The one where me and this friend did the party we had cost $1,800.00 to have the event there. People could bring in their own food but not alcohol. That place could hold up to 250 people. This VFW Hall holds less people but is half the price for 5 hours.

Mix .. rent a church hall for $100, have people bring food (instead of money), play for free and treat it like a anniversary .. not a promotion.