Thought I'd come back and say Hey!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Thought I'd come back and say Hey!

It's been an interesting summer and now that Fall is upon us, I've got nothing set up for next year. I made some friends this year and gained a little notoriety, but I'm a afraid that I slit my throat with the Chamber of Commerce. The COC runs just about anything and everything in my town. If you are not a member, you generally won't be doing anything here. The COC contacted me and wanted me to come an DJ for free at the biggest event of the year. They had wanted me on a Thursday, which I don't do weekdays due to my day job. I told them no I won't do it because that is the biggest event (Bike Fest) all year round and why should everyone else be making money and I'm not for my efforts? I was unable to sacrifice my day's pay at my day job and my additional incentive money ($300) that I would have made if I came and gave all that up for them. They were not going to pay me to recover that lost money, which I really need to operate my basic household needs.
So when I said no I can't do it, they got all offended and blacklisted me in my own town. I thought that DJ's were supposed to make a little money with their services and not give it all away for nothing. The word was "Exposure" That stuff doesn't pay bills. Never has. Every time I've done anything in the past for "Exposure" it's only been an solution to a means that benefits somebody else and not me. I don't get recognized for my efforts and work and I'm not remembered. It's not because of the music I play . I play great music but I'm forgotten about by the end of the event. I never get any prospects from these events or really benefit from them in any way. I usually have to shell out money to even do anything for them. I've decided that it's important to stop doing these things for "Exposure" My feeling is that if I need exposure, I'll do photography. However, without the backing of the COC, I do not believe that I will do another gig in my town again.
I'm caught in a twisted web. (and it sucks) COC undervalues my work and believes that it's not worth anything because and they told me direct " The only way to get any shows in this town is to do some Exposure shows" I said no and I'm going to continue to say no. I'm not joining the COC in this town as long as the marketable services are going to be oppressed with their monopolies, surcharges and taxes that are just not collected anywhere else in my state. You would think this wouldn't be how a COC would act toward you but it's what's happening. It made no sense to me that they DID pay me the first time they used me.
I've decided I'm just going to continue on doing what I'm doing. With my day job at the school system and my other job with the Military , It's not like I don't have a lot to do. Frustrated yes. Down and out ? No I can't get down and out over something that never really was in the first place. It's that moment right when you think you are starting to make an impact and something else comes along and impacts you right back.
Just thought I'd come by here say Hey to you guys let you know what kind of no good I've been up to.
21077300_528489840816181_2326196400243558002_n.jpg

Nice to hear from you Mike.

From my experience the Chamber is a bit of a clique. They can try and blacklist you but it's neber as bad as you think it could be. I think I would have tried to make a trade for a chamber membership just to watch them back peddle out of it

Mike, good to see you drop in!

Chamber of Commerce memberships are useless these days imo. My Dad was in the Chamber back in the 90s for a couple years. He got one Christmas Party gig out of it in 2 years, and it wasn't anything to write home about.

Exposure gigs only lead to more exposure and free gigs. You made the right call.

My suggestion: Try to get in with Yacht Clubs down there. I know Virginia has a large number of Yacht Clubs, and each of them hold yearly formals!!! Every year the person in charge of hiring the DJ is usually different though, BUT you can get gigs from those yacht clubs. Virginia Beach isn't that far from you is it? There's gotta be some seasonal work in that area. Fredericksburg doesn't have much going on, but Dumfries...The Marine Base at Quantico does have a number of events there. Dale City area may have party gigs from time to time. Also, if you are willing to drive to Springfield I KNOW they are events to be had there as I have driven to Springfield on a number of occasions for Yacht Club formals, and other corporate type gigs.

You can find plenty of work in Virginia if you are willing to drive a good bit.

Driving is an issue, I do have some of that going on. It was before that I had a crappy under performing car that was a yuck bucket. It finally blew up and I got something decent now and can even carry all my stuff in it. I know that there are lots of yacht clubs I dj'd for one at least twice. Springfield. In May of 2014, I was involved in a serious vehicular accident at the Occoquan River Bridge. I still get very nervous about going near there because it will set off the PTSD, it's not pretty. It makes my chest all tighten up and I start hyperventilating. Not an excuse, but a reality I got to deal with . I would go anyway to get there by avoiding that way. I will be checking with the local bases because I too am military. Driving to get anywhere from here is at least an hour in any direction one way. The hardest thing is that I have to report for military duty on the first Saturday of the month, which is a prime date for anything DJ, to use a military idiom, it "screws the pooch" on that. My next gig is in Manassas for the 2nd Virginia Regiment. in December. I was supposed to have a wedding in November but they haven't sent the deposit yet. I will have to cut them off soon.

Regards,

Mike

The COC is what I call the realtors here. They puff themselves up and want you to pay them in order to be "exposed" in their circle, in addition to giving them free services. I learned a big lesson here, I DON'T NEED THEM. They most definitely do not control the town, as I once perceived. Do I think it was probably less than smart (being kind here) for you to actually voice it to them? Yea, that was pretty stupid. You just cemented in their brains that they're going to try and exercise their authority and lock you out. Don't feel bad though. The realtors here tried to get us to pay them $400/year to be in their association, all for the privilege of providing free photo booths and photography for their meetings. My wife did the same thing as you. I wish she'd just said "No thanks." Aside from the obvious in your own case, "don't make that mistake twice", I'd just encourage you to put it behind you and move on. Forget them and get out and push of your own accord. There ARE people who need your services and will hire you and they won't care one bit what the COC thinks about it. Don't give them the satisfaction of thinking they affected you. I wish you all the best in your future efforts. I also appreciate you coming here and sharing. Hang around some more, please.

The thing is the people who are my friends are the ones who I move mountains for. I bend over backwards for them. As far as the COC goes, I will likely end up blogging against that mentality because it's not business forward at all and I feel that people need to see this. Once things start changing, I hope to get my NAME membership back. One thing I have learned is that I fit in no mold. Nothing I do is "normal" but I'm going to keep plugging along. If I can network with some other DJ's maybe over in the the other State of Northern Virginia great. ( we really do see Northern Virginia and the Northern Neck as two different states though technically they are not) I have a car that can get me there now. Heck next summer, I might/maybe/possibly slip up to AC if I can afford it. It's like a 5 hour drive. Thanks for responding back with me.

Reactions: ittigger
Similar experience here with the Chamber and Downtown business association. They asked if we would do a street dance type event but got bent out of shape when I asked how many guests were expected (response was a snooty we have know idea how many people will show up), types of acts and timeframe. I never turned down doing it for free, just asked basic questions that might identify the *needs* of the event. They never called back. We were a downtown business at the time even!! Thanks for supporting your own. SMH. As far as I have ever seen, free Chamber events only beget other solicitations for free events. Not something I need. We aren't afraid to drive.

Similar experience here with the Chamber and Downtown business association. They asked if we would do a street dance type event but got bent out of shape when I asked how many guests were expected (response was a snooty we have know idea how many people will show up), types of acts and timeframe. I never turned down doing it for free, just asked basic questions that might identify the *needs* of the event. They never called back. We were a downtown business at the time even!! Thanks for supporting your own. SMH. As far as I have ever seen, free Chamber events only beget other solicitations for free events. Not something I need. We aren't afraid to drive.

I spent 2 years in the chamber here and never even got a call for a free event. I did get a couple of inquiries for corporate's but they never came to be because they went with "a more affordable alternative". I was the only DJ in the chamber then too so I guess it was stick together until it costs

I spent 2 years in the chamber here and never even got a call for a free event. I did get a couple of inquiries for corporate's but they never came to be because they went with "a more affordable alternative". I was the only DJ in the chamber then too so I guess it was stick together until it costs

You can never be cheap enough for them. They want THE CHEAPEST they can find. Those events hardly ever pan out for me any more which is why 80% of my work is weddings these days. Most of the other stuff lowest bid wins their business. Chamber of Commerce members certainly share that mentality.

Reactions: Jeff Romard