Tips for annual gig with clumsy drunks, possible fights etc

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Sorry for the long long post but need a good rant and your advice on dealing with this in the future. Thanks in advance...

I have an annual Christmas party I have come to dread, it's a company with a few hundred employees in Southern California. They have an open bar and hire me from 6 to midnight. This party would never happen if anyone had any sense as far as potential sexual harassment, drunk driving, fights, dancing on tables, behavior that should really get people fired anywhere else. Anyway, I put up with awfully annoying drunks and the party nearly pays my rent for December so whatever.

The problem is, as we near midnight it seems like there are really no "adults" left. No one in charge. The 30-40 still there are doing shots and hammered as heck. The owner is a French dude, most of the employees are Mexican with a handful of Frenchies. At midnight there are typically 30 or so Mexicans and about 10 French and they are the drunkest, worst behaved, looking for trouble, nothing else to do. 1 guy is the owner's son and usually ends up fighting with his girlfriend and some of the other French may be relatives or whatever so they act privilidged like they can do whatever they want, they are the ones dancing on the tables because they are untouchable. Between the extreme intoxication and frenchness they are impossible to understand.

Anyway, this time at 11:30 two french guys climb up onto the stage and start dancing all goofy with people yelling at them. I am on a rickety temporary stage (assembled scaffolding about 2 feet high really). There is about 1-2 feet in front of my booth and 3 feet on either side so they are squeezing against my sh*t. I leave them alone and know I am going to have to kick them off in a few minutes but it's fine for a minute. One of them takes off a heavy leather jacket and swings it over his head wildly and onto the dance floor to the sounds of cheers. Just above my head and laptop which is on a stand, mind you. One of them is very tall and bulky, he's the drunker one and would not be sober enough to swing his jacket if he tried. It's clearly only a matter of time before someone comes flying into my setup and everything goes down.

Smaller (jacket swinger) guy asks "Why?" when I ask them to get down. Bigger guy, who is just meandering and dancing everywhere just says "fuck you!" and tries to put up a middle finger in a general direction but can't quite. I tell the bigger guy I'm going to stop the song and it won't be fun, he is unresponsive. Smaller guy finally asks "Oh you want us to get down" in broken spoiled-french-boy accent. Yes, please, and I put my hand on his shoulder. Felt a little bad about being rude to him. He gets down and I see him talking to other people on the dancefloor. Big guy finally gets down, I don't remember why. I didn't feel unsafe they are just freaking annoying and there is no one in charge who is sober or acting like an adult, like I'm in a classroom full of 6 foot tall 3 year-olds.

During the second to the last song, some fists break out and some guy who wasn't dancing is flailing wildly, not sure who he was trying to hit but he is slowly dragged down by about 6 men. Later learned he was not an employee but the brother of an office staff lady who is the one who hires me every year. This rumble (picture garfield's fighting cloud of dust) started from the middle of the room and came to the dance floor about 10 feet in front of me to out the door. Too close for comfort, I just want to get out of there with all of my stuff in once piece.

I learned later a guy standing next to the door in a black t-shirt was the "security guard" but he was freaking useless.

Many years in the past the drunks try to get me to stay after midnight until 2am, this year the venue didn't allow that. I told them when they hired me this year they needed to provide a hotel room if I was to do that but thankfully it was not an issue. Still, shutting down was a pain anyway. One of the women who does the hiring (office staff) wanted two more songs at 12:05, I allowed her to get on the mic and ask the drunks for a song suggestion. Was too drunk to do this, dropped the mic. (Note to self, undent mic cover or order new one). Just before that had been the fight and a french guy who looked pretty sober motioned for me to just cut it. Forgot to mention during the 3rd to last song I'd run to talk to the bartenders and the big oaf drunk guy was stumbling up to the booth looking for a button to push.

As I'm packing up I'm thinking I really really hate these people. It pays decent but I definitely don't like the atmosphere that comes around as midnight nears. I am the only one who isn't 100% wasted and stumbling around breaking sh*t. This is the second time an almost-fight has erupted, the last time was an employee who seemed kind of simple and everyone just dragged him outside. I highly doubt he was fired.

Thinking about steps I can take next year to ensure the safety of myself and equipment. Lay down some rules when the party is booked.

1. I won't play past midnight ever again. I am glad this year that wasn't an option because I would have had to be battling employees demanding I play longer. (The company pays from 6-12).
2. There must be a security guard. They only had one this year because the venue requires it. He was useless. Stood by the door with no uniform, no one was aware he was there (including me).
3. I need to make sure to touch base with security and ask them be prepared to help with unruly guests.

I hate this gig, I haven't even gone into the ways it is frustrating in non-violent ways haha...

What else would you suggest?

(PS I am not racist against French people, but for the most part these people perpetuate the stereotype that they are all pretentious a-holes)

charge more for your troubles and to bring your own security, off duty cops like cash side work. and make sure your contract spells out your concerns and who is responsible for damages to you or your equipment.

Reactions: DjDennis
(PS I am not racist against French people, but for the most part these people perpetuate the stereotype that they are all pretentious a-holes)

Yes .. yes we are ... :)

Sorry for the long long post but need a good rant and your advice on dealing with this in the future. Thanks in advance...

I have an annual Christmas party I have come to dread, it's a company with a few hundred employees in Southern California. They have an open bar and hire me from 6 to midnight. This party would never happen if anyone had any sense as far as potential sexual harassment, drunk driving, fights, dancing on tables, behavior that should really get people fired anywhere else. Anyway, I put up with awfully annoying drunks and the party nearly pays my rent for December so whatever.

The problem is, as we near midnight it seems like there are really no "adults" left. No one in charge. The 30-40 still there are doing shots and hammered as heck. The owner is a French dude, most of the employees are Mexican with a handful of Frenchies. At midnight there are typically 30 or so Mexicans and about 10 French and they are the drunkest, worst behaved, looking for trouble, nothing else to do. 1 guy is the owner's son and usually ends up fighting with his girlfriend and some of the other French may be relatives or whatever so they act privilidged like they can do whatever they want, they are the ones dancing on the tables because they are untouchable. Between the extreme intoxication and frenchness they are impossible to understand.

Anyway, this time at 11:30 two french guys climb up onto the stage and start dancing all goofy with people yelling at them. I am on a rickety temporary stage (assembled scaffolding about 2 feet high really). There is about 1-2 feet in front of my booth and 3 feet on either side so they are squeezing against my sh*t. I leave them alone and know I am going to have to kick them off in a few minutes but it's fine for a minute. One of them takes off a heavy leather jacket and swings it over his head wildly and onto the dance floor to the sounds of cheers. Just above my head and laptop which is on a stand, mind you. One of them is very tall and bulky, he's the drunker one and would not be sober enough to swing his jacket if he tried. It's clearly only a matter of time before someone comes flying into my setup and everything goes down.

Smaller (jacket swinger) guy asks "Why?" when I ask them to get down. Bigger guy, who is just meandering and dancing everywhere just says "fuck you!" and tries to put up a middle finger in a general direction but can't quite. I tell the bigger guy I'm going to stop the song and it won't be fun, he is unresponsive. Smaller guy finally asks "Oh you want us to get down" in broken spoiled-french-boy accent. Yes, please, and I put my hand on his shoulder. Felt a little bad about being rude to him. He gets down and I see him talking to other people on the dancefloor. Big guy finally gets down, I don't remember why. I didn't feel unsafe they are just freaking annoying and there is no one in charge who is sober or acting like an adult, like I'm in a classroom full of 6 foot tall 3 year-olds.

During the second to the last song, some fists break out and some guy who wasn't dancing is flailing wildly, not sure who he was trying to hit but he is slowly dragged down by about 6 men. Later learned he was not an employee but the brother of an office staff lady who is the one who hires me every year. This rumble (picture garfield's fighting cloud of dust) started from the middle of the room and came to the dance floor about 10 feet in front of me to out the door. Too close for comfort, I just want to get out of there with all of my stuff in once piece.

I learned later a guy standing next to the door in a black t-shirt was the "security guard" but he was freaking useless.

Many years in the past the drunks try to get me to stay after midnight until 2am, this year the venue didn't allow that. I told them when they hired me this year they needed to provide a hotel room if I was to do that but thankfully it was not an issue. Still, shutting down was a pain anyway. One of the women who does the hiring (office staff) wanted two more songs at 12:05, I allowed her to get on the mic and ask the drunks for a song suggestion. Was too drunk to do this, dropped the mic. (Note to self, undent mic cover or order new one). Just before that had been the fight and a french guy who looked pretty sober motioned for me to just cut it. Forgot to mention during the 3rd to last song I'd run to talk to the bartenders and the big oaf drunk guy was stumbling up to the booth looking for a button to push.

As I'm packing up I'm thinking I really really hate these people. It pays decent but I definitely don't like the atmosphere that comes around as midnight nears. I am the only one who isn't 100% wasted and stumbling around breaking sh*t. This is the second time an almost-fight has erupted, the last time was an employee who seemed kind of simple and everyone just dragged him outside. I highly doubt he was fired.

Thinking about steps I can take next year to ensure the safety of myself and equipment. Lay down some rules when the party is booked.

1. I won't play past midnight ever again. I am glad this year that wasn't an option because I would have had to be battling employees demanding I play longer. (The company pays from 6-12).
2. There must be a security guard. They only had one this year because the venue requires it. He was useless. Stood by the door with no uniform, no one was aware he was there (including me).
3. I need to make sure to touch base with security and ask them be prepared to help with unruly guests.

I hate this gig, I haven't even gone into the ways it is frustrating in non-violent ways haha...

What else would you suggest?

Are you sure that you are not in Tennessee? Sounds very much like a certain other chap's gigs :)

Reactions: mysoulishome
My first suggestion, take yourself out of the spotlight. Do not setup on a stage. Instead, put your rig off to the side, as discrete as possible and stay invisible. Leave the little stage somewhere else and let them have at each other, just make sure you're not in the middle of it. I also would recommend a taser. Just stay out of the way of the crazies and let them have at it then go home, cash the check and forget it.

Just raise a white flag in front of you they'll understand ;)

Reactions: Ausumm
Bring the backup gear instead of the front-line gear.

Nix he stage. If it's yours and they get hurt on it, you will get sued. Make sure all your equipment is properly secured. And MAKE SURE you have insurance because you WILL get sued. People can sue anyone for any reason, and litigation isn't cheap.

If the business owner is smart, he outsources the bar-tending service. If anything happens, it's the service's fault. If he doesn't outsource, it's the business owner's fault. A company I worked for once didn't outsource the bartenders and ended up getting sued because someone drank before the event and yet got sued when the person got into an accident after the event. That was the last time they had a Christmas party for their employees. If anything, be sure to note in your contract that you are not liable for damage due to negligence on the part of the venue, the host, the bar-tending company or the party-goers. It also might be a good idea to "remind" anyone that is serving drinks of this on the day of the event because chances are that if people are getting that drunk, the people serving the drinks either aren't properly trained or don't care.

Basically, CYA as much as you can because when you do get sued (it's inevitable), you will have a ton of stuff to prove that you did everything in your power to make sure everything on your part went smoothly.

Ah yeah... I sure remember that. Called 'em Amateur Nights. :)

Well, you could get a raised stage. Frame it in and wrap chicken wire around it.

Or just price yourself out of it next year. You can say "No", ya know. Market to a more refined clientele.

I'm serious... back in the '90s I had a few of "those" clients who let their parties become free for alls. No one watching the door, anybody who "heard about it from someone" would show up. Keg open to all, BYOB. They'll eat all the food, drink all your beer and start trouble.

Now a keg party ain't too bad in somebody's backyard where it's all neighbors, family and friends. But in a rented hall with a lot of booze and folks who don't know each other, it's asking for trouble. I dodged more than one airborne whiskey bottle in those days. They knocked the glass out of a window behind me once.

Popeye and Bluto rolling around the floor and punching each other, knocked my mirror ball stand over one year. Was a lot faster on my feet then and caught it before it hit the floor.

Couple drunks grabassing, pushing and shoving, fell on my DJ table, damn near turned it over.

Lost a mic stand, asshat drunk grabbed it and started swinging... wrapped it around a support beam. Stand was a Radio Shack special but it still had to be replaced. The client did make it good.

I remember a squirrely guy, he was schnockered up and mouthy. Calling strangers all kindsa dirty dogs and sonsabeeches and griping that the food was cold. His missus told him twice to STFU but he wouldn't. Started giving her attitude instead. Without another word, she picked up a bottle from the table and broke it over his head.

Reception in a rural rented venue. Some poor sod got beat to a bloody mess by a guy wielding a metal folding chair. He was laying on the floor face down and not moving. The guy just kept whaling away with that chair. The paramedics took him away later, I never saw him again after that.

The last straw was when the sponsor's daughter got married. The reception was nice for the first couple hours. Then the bottles came out and it all went to hell on a Harley... one accusing the other of drinking his liquor while he was in the men's and they'd start to fighting. People were stripping, throwing things, peeing on the floor.

A big guy, came out of the kitchen with his trousers around his ankles, managed to stagger to the dance floor and fall flat on his back before peeing a stream straight up in the air. Just lay there, peeing on himself. The couples who were dancing just stepped around him.

A bridesmaid was dirty dancing with the groom and the bride saw red. She walked up behind the flirt and lit into her like a wildcat. Grabbed her by the hair with both hands, dragged her to the door and shoved her down the stairs. Flirt's hubby started swinging his fists, nailed some fella in the face and a free for all broke out. Somebody called out that the cops were on the way and they all ran for the doors. Three state bear cruisers arrived and nailed a few stragglers for DWI as they were pulling out of the lot. The rest left before the cops got there.

With the place empty I got done loading out and went to the men's for a whiz. The floor, basin and stool were covered with vomit, pee and beer. There were turds in the urinal and somehow, someone had managed to defecate on the wall. I gagged and walked back to the truck, opened the door and relieved myself on the ground. I didn't even want to think about how the women's must've looked.

Driving home later I could still smell that mess. I thought good god, man. This is nonsense. I'd had enough and priced myself out of 'em after that. Booked future Christmas parties with a daycare owner and the local fraternals - Moose, VFW, Eagles etc. NYE went to a smallish family gathering that ended at midnight.

Reactions: Andy A and ittigger
Il semble contre-intuitif , mais votre meilleure solution est : service à la clientèle plus impliqués .
Ooops! Pardonnez mon français! ...en Englais:

It sounds counter intuitive but, your best solution is: more involved customer service.
You need to get better connected with this crowd, and more involved in the planning process if you want to lose all the uncertainty about how this night will progress and end.

Start now for next year's party, and be part of the process not simply someone who shows up the night of to play. Six hours is too long - especially at an event that has for any period of time an open bar. Contract this event to end no later than 11pm. Quit while you are ahead having gotten the highest and best results you can. You're not doing anyone any good service after the 5th hour.

Stage the party to accommodate the clientele. Don't setup on the stage - setup on the floor behind or beside it. Leave the stage for dancers to strut their stuff. Start early to encourage the sober, fun, and good dancers to dance on the riser. Let the better class of attendees claim that real estate and later these will be the same people who bounce the drunks off stage later in the night.

Find the music that will keep the action interesting on the dance floor - high energy, ethnic styles, line dances, etc. Play whatever will keep most of the people doing the same thing at the same time and entice your quality dancers to the stage displacing the drunk exhibitionists. Please most of the people most of the time. Use your mic and be creative, joining, and kind about how to get the drunks accepted back into what is going on and out of your hair. Learn and address them by name.

Don't measure the party by it's length of time. The price should be the same even if you stop at 9pm. Charge for the practical reality that when part of your evening is booked ALL of your evening becomes otherwise unavailable.

Instead of looking for ways duck and cover - help them plan a better party.

Last edited:
I understand and agree with your logic - however if someone books an event for 4 hours - it will certainly not be the same price as a 6 hour event.

It sounds counter intuitive but, your best solution is: more involved customer service.
You need to get better connected with this crowd, and more involved in the planning process if you want to lose all the uncertainty about how this night will progress and end.

No offense, but I am there to play music, not babysit. :p :)

... if someone books an event for 4 hours - it will certainly not be the same price as a 6 hour event.

That's a nice way to rip yourself off.
You should charge by the day part - afternoon, evening, or crossover, with crossovers being the most expensive.
Same price for 2 hours as you would for 5 hours, with overtime payable for any extension not scheduled at the time of booking.

Bob, again, I understand your logic. However, I don't see it happening. For one to make money this way, you would have to price consistently for 6 hour chunks .. but you're pricing against the market that DOES quote by the event - and at some level, the hours. You'd price yourself out of events doing it this way.

Please explain further how you think this would work.

Bob, again, I understand your logic. However, I don't see it happening. For one to make money this way, you would have to price consistently for the 5 hour mark .. but you're pricing against the market that DOES quote by the event - and at some level, the hours. You'd price yourself out of some events doing it this way.

Please explain further how you think this would work.

Seriously?
You price yourself based on what other DJs charge? If you were prohibited from ever DJing again - what would you be earning in your next best profession? THAT should define your new minimum price.

Almost any gig will take nearly 8 hours or more time to do (travel, setup, play, strike) and if you are charging by the hour - then you should be charging for the full 8 hours not simply the few accompanied by music.

7:00-9:00pm, + 1 hr prep + 2 hrs travel, + 2 hrs setup + 1 hr strike = 8 hours

8 hrs x ($100 or $200) /hr = $800 - $1600 per day part 50% more or $1200 - $2400 for crossovers.

Crossovers need to be more money because they can otherwise KILL your earnings:

Two bookings on Saturday are worth at least $2400 ($800 afternoon + $1600 evening) hence a single crossover should be near equivalent to booking two separate events.
You can apply your own hourly rates and I've only given sample low and high points not a more subtle variation of rates in between but, this is where reality sets in. If someone's next best alternative job is working at the mall for $15 hr then it is not likely that when that same vocational apptitude is applied to DJing people would suddenly find them worth hiring at $200+ /hr. This is why you don't price your own personal services according to other people's abilities. You are not a widget, or cookie - you are talent.

Last edited: