Trailer users..2 lighting (wiring?) questions

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

IceBurghDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
iceburghdj.com
Been hemming and hawing over what to do .. truck, second cargo trailer, van..

So currently thinking maybe put $500 in my current trailer so that it better works for photo and DJ.

two issues i have with using for DJ gigs is it's dark when the gig is over..if not sooner this time of year.

There is a light (one) in the trailer, but it's got a 4 wire connector so the truck has to be on or lights on for the trailer to have lights...well, the truck auto-shuts off at 10 minutes..be that parking lights or if I keep using the remote start. PITA to say the least.

The truck has a 7 wire connector - the other 3 are brakes, batt (for charging trailer battery) and backup/reverse lights.

Which is the other issue - when it's dark and out here in the sticks dark has a meaning city folk just don't get. The expression 'so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face' isn't a cliche, it's a reality in some places.

So I'm thinking of rewiring the trailer - for always on interior lighting (should be easy enough) and then for back up lights.

So - what do you have for internior lighting? Good or bad, what could be better? Anything outside for lighting (ramp, doors, etc?)

And anyone put backup lights on a trailer? Where/how many/what kind and is that enough, placed right, etc?

...And anyone put backup lights on a trailer? Where/how many/what kind and is that enough, placed right, etc?

They sell a kit on Amazon.com for back-up/reverse lights. If you do the search, enter; "Back-up Reverse Light Kits". The one I saw included 2 lights with LED bulbs. Connections should be pretty straight-forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use self adehsive LED strip lighting in the interior, I ordered my trailer that way, probably one of my best investments was ordering a new trailer exactly the way I wanted it

Reactions: Ausumm
You're a DJ... are you saying that with all the battery powered LED products out there you haven't found a rechargeable solution that doubles as a lighting solution for your trailer?

for interior that might work - i don't want to get out and attach or turn on reverse lights.

I have some rockin' flashlights and did use one at the NYE gig - they had NO lights in teh tent..not a one. Once i got my photobooth lights out i was good, but they 110v. I used the flashlight at the end in the trailer - it worked well enough.

I've thought about putting a battery in the trailer (RV batt) but it takes space, needs charged, etc.

So you saying break open the piggy back for thsese?
Light It! White 9-LED Anywhere Puck Light-30015-308 - The Home Depot

Now it's 9F outside now and these battery lights would be in the trailer all the time..will the battery work tonight at 11pm when it's 3F and I have to load up?

I do have my old photobooth lights - 2 4' strips of LED with a 110v adapter..I bet they run off 12v..i'll check. Maybe I can find a battery pack and use it when I need to use the trailer, or wire it in to the lighting circuit

IMG_0191.JPG I second the portable LED! Here are the 2 that I use. These things are bright! The batteries have lasted 3 years now. And we use them all over, not just in the trailer. I saw some at lowes with 6 leds each. I will invest 20 bucks into those next. I put magnet tape on the back and stick them to the trailer ribs even through the plywood.

For portable power, anything magnetic should hold to the ceiling - for powered use, use LED strip lighting, same ones they use for automobiles - line the walls and/or roof.