Uber is launching Self Driving Cars in Pittsburgh!

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
and there is no uber in my town (county) at all. We have 2 cabs..total. Owner dispathces off his cell phone. Often from in one of the cars.

BUT we are probably not the norm...since most people live in urban areas. If you're uber and have just the top 10 cities in the US that's 33.5 million people. Lots of volume there.

US census says:
The urban areas of the United States for the 2010 Census contain 249,253,271 people, representing 80.7% of the population, and rural areas contain 59,492,276 people, or 19.3% of the population.

I"m at the county fair this week..rabbits, goats, chickens, one turkey, etc. Last night there were tractor pulls. It be country here - not iowa country, but country none the less.

The queen and princess of the fair last night.

Attachments

• 2016-8890.jpg
    2016-8890.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Jeff Romard
actually you can by a base model spark new for $8995 I just did, had a daughter going to college made more sense to get her something with a warranty since she will be several hundred miles away, roll up you own windows, shift your own gears and lock your own doors but it's got Bluetooth connectivity, and A/C,

How did you get that deal?

Was it a New 2015? Last year's model, and they priced way below invoice to sell?

I see the lowest price 2016 Spark within 50 miles of me is a Red base model for $9,998. It appears to be as bare bones as you can get it.

That only works where there is volume .. I bet Uber gets 3 calls a day in my town .. if that.

I doubt we get even 1 call for Uber in my neck of the woods. DC, maybe. Farmland, MD - not so much. DC probably has the most call for Uber around here.

Was it a New 2015? Last year's model, and they priced way below invoice to sell?

I see the lowest price 2016 Spark within 50 miles of me is a Red base model for $9,998. It appears to be as bare bones as you can get it.

$9,998 with $1k incentive?

Dealer in Mendon, MA has one for $9,377. If you qualify for the cash back, costs $8,377.

Not sure if I'd like the official color of my car to be 'Toasted Marshmallow' (New 2016 Chevrolet Spark LS For Sale Cary NC | Raleigh 24171).

Last edited:
Reactions: ittigger

New leftover 16 model, as basic as you can buy, at the beginning of the month I said call me when can sell one for under $9000, I know they get incentivized back end cash when they reach certain sales levels from GM, I assumed they needed to sell one more to reach that goal, so lets say GM gives them $100 for each new car they sell if they sell 50 that month, with selling me the 50th one at what is called net net , the true cost of what they have in the car or maybe even a little less they get a check from GM for $5000, I also qualified for all incentive programs, and My credit union did the financing 1.75% as a secured loan in my daughters name to help her build credit

Chevy Spark could be the lowest cost per day car built in the last 15 years. Even the Chevy Cavalier LS back in 2002 at the lowest were priced around $11,000.

Purchase a new Spark for $9,000...Tires are cheap, routine maintenance is cheap. ...Drive it for 10 years hopefully with no issues. Would be a great bang for the buck. My Lancer is 14 years old...burns a little oil, but runs like a champ still with 162,000 miles. I am positive I could get another 2 -4 years out of it before the engine or trans dies.

Kia use to have a RIO...that car was like $8,000 base model, but that car was terrible. Most of them died within 5 or 6 years.

No chance in heck I would drive a car that small .. I've rented Nissan Versas and similar sardine cans and I felt vulnerable to every vehicle on the road .. all the time.

No chance in heck I would drive a car that small .. I've rented Nissan Versas and similar sardine cans and I felt vulnerable to every vehicle on the road .. all the time.

But it has 10 safety airbags, and a high strength safety cage! :nod:

I would not be seen driving a "Smart Car"(I call them dumb cars) or that Fiat 500 around. Just too small. However, the Spark is a bit bigger than those. I would drive it around town. I wouldn't take it on long trips, and I don't see myself trying to use it to load DJ Equipment in, and go to a gig.

I got a toyato yaris once. Wow was that a tiny car

But it has 10 safety airbags, and a high strength safety cage! :nod:

I would not be seen driving a "Smart Car"(I call them dumb cars) or that Fiat 500 around. Just too small. However, the Spark is a bit bigger than those. I would drive it around town. I wouldn't take it on long trips, and I don't see myself trying to use it to load DJ Equipment in, and go to a gig.

I actually like small cars. I have driven a Yaris, Focus, Versa, Rio, Fiat 500 and Mini Cooper. I have sat in the iQ and the Smart ForTwo.

In my opinion, the Fiat 500 and Mini Cooper are the best of the class. The Focus seems good too and they have enough of a following. These are great for being nimble, decent on gas and fun.

For us it made sense she's away at college for 4-5 years, dependable reliable cheap transportation, That I don't need to worry about fixing from hundreds of miles away, I would never drive this car on a day to day basis, I drive a Ford Expedition EL

I got a toyato yaris once. Wow was that a tiny car
I got one too when I went to see a client in Des Moines. The highway into the city was sort of washboard and the car is small enough (or has tiny wheels and a short wheelbase) that you felt every up and down .. sort of got nauseating after a while.

I rented a Subaru Impreza a couple of months back. I asked for a mid size SUV and apparently that's is one these days. They are probably a dandy little car for whipping around the city but way to small for my liking. It was tough going from the Expedition to the Impreza I felt like I was sitting on the ground lol

IMO, the rental agencies have their own unique definitions of vehicle classes, that don't seem to apply or fit anywhere else.

cars ar ebigger than they used to be - my outback is a small car, right? Not anymore it's not. But I like 25mpg, 30 on trips, AWD and a load of space in the back (more than a ford edge by far).

I've had small cars - a pinto, VW bug and appreciate them a lot. I've had big - silverado, 79 lincoln, expedition - I detest the MPG.

when my suby was in the shop they gave me a new nissan POS..I mean, versa. what a POS...it has 3k miles on it - so it was NEW NEW - and OMG...no power, steering wheel wasn't centered on the front seat (it was angled sideways), the wheel vibrated like an elec razor at 40mph, interior felt cheap beyond words, don't dare hit a pothole...yuk. Whole thing felt flimsy.

If you look around, here at least, you see lots of newer small cheapie cars..but you dont' see any OLD small cheapie cars..they do not last. Be that from cheap owners that don't do maintence or maybe streetsweepers just dust bin them by accident, they don't seem to be around after 5 years let alone 10.

Reactions: ittigger