Upcoming Server Move

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Dan The Man

Administrator
Staff member
ODJT Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
New York
danhutter.com
Hi Guys,

Late this week or possibly over the weekend we'll be moving to a new host. It's shared hosting but a little expensive than our current VPS.

The move is for several reasons. Primarily, I haven't been impressed with our current hosts' support, they have botched a couple software installs and expected me to fix it. I pay them to manage this stuff not create more work for me. Secondly, also along with the support angle I just don't trust them to keep everything secure and updated like they should be doing.

The 'new' host is a place I've been using to host other sites for quite a while they're rock solid and support is top notch. Even though it's shared hosting, we'll be running on a premium server that uses SSD storage, LiteSpeed web server (which is blazing fast), and limits the number of accounts on the server to some ridiculously low number to ensure speedy page loads.

A couple of things need to fall into place before I can make the move. Namely setting up Amazon S3 to store and serve our attachments. With the move we'll drop SSL. I may re-enable it down the road but it's been a headache on the mobile side with untrusted certificate problems. I don't know if it's worth the trouble to be honest.

If you have any questions or concerns just holler. Thanks for listening. :)

-Dan

@Big Dan - we were wondering where you were .. you've been MIA.
Thanks it's been busy online and off. I do pop in daily just haven't had much reason or time to post. :)

cool,,,, this is what the arcade has been waiting for... so do we PayPal ya a little kick down for help? :)

:D I got the arcade on my to do list. It's not a big job just a little time consuming. Time has been short lately it'll get up. I promise.

Hey Guys,

Just a heads up this is happening tonight. Decided to stick with the same provider and manage it myself but I'm moving us to a new VPS instance to get a fresh start. Who knows what whackiness (that's a technical term ;) ) their server monkeys have done to the current server.

Since I have a few clients hosted on this server I'm doing an end run around making them change their name servers (that's always a headache). Once all the data is moved over I'll just update the IP addresses for the name servers at my registrar. With any luck everyone will see ODJT on the new server by tomorrow morning.

I'm closing the forum shortly. You'll see the standard board closed message. Once the board is open you're seeing ODJT on the new server. I'll keep Twitter ( Our DJ Talk (@odjt) | Twitter ) updated on the goings on and embed a twitter feed on the board closed message on the old server. Catch yous on the flip side.

-Dan

Hey Dan I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not but I was getting a security warning when I tried to go to the webpage this morning. I was using a link in the URL bar so maybe a dead link? It worked when I typed it in directly

I'm using Chrome on Win 7

Hey Dan I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not but I was getting a security warning when I tried to go to the webpage this morning. I was using a link in the URL bar so maybe a dead link? It worked when I typed it in directly

I'm using Chrome on Win 7
DOA link. We dropped the SSL for now. Right click on your bookmark hit edit and remove the 's' from https://

Reactions: Jeff Romard
Did we just have a hiccup? I lost the forum for a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XenForo released updates this morning. I just rolled them out. The board automatically closed for a few minutes to complete the upgrades.

Your DNS could also be bouncing around but I doubt it.

Reactions: Jeff Romard
I didn't know about the 's' and couldn't get back in...luckily last night I tried explorer and it had a page saying follow on twitter and today when the forum was still 'russian' or something weird I tried the link you have on twitter and bingo, it's all good again.

I was going thru withdrawal there for a bit. Didn't know what to do with myself. So i bought new speakers. Addictions are expensive.

The little boxes above the box where you type is not displaying properly in firefox. It's one big blue bar with one icon - a camera.

It does the same in Edit mode.
Thanks Tig. Firefox looks fine for me with my test user. There was also an upgrade this morning for Xenforo that involved some javascript changes. Can you please try hard refreshing the page? This should force the new scripts to load.

Edit Skippy using FF:

odjt-firefox.PNG

Last edited:
I am working on SSL'ing us again. Our last certificate worked great on computers but threw a security warning on mobile devices which no doubt scared people away. I'm waiting for the SSL techs to get back to me with a certificate that's going to be valid everywhere.

No worries about changing links as when I get the certificate up and running http will automatically redirect to https.

I am not able to access the sight the from laptop using either Chrome or Fox, did a DNS flush, and I get the security warning on Chrome before I get to the 404 page, but I can access using my moblie