Weddings Wedding packages/plans?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Nov 5, 2006
Schenectady, NY
For the first time it upteen years. It may be time to get away from packages. I'm thinking heavily about offering One a la carte wedding package.

In the past I've offerred 2 or 3 different packages. It's worked out ok. I've learned alot.

What are you doing?

You know what I do - one package, 4hrs for a base price - $x/each additional hr.

Price is for performance time beginning to end - not for "goodies" in the package.

Package gives them what they NEED to do the event - The bells & whistles, ie the WANTS are extra:

Lighting = extra (unless I'm in a good mood or I like them...)
Projection = extra

Mileage past 30mi one-way = extra.

Bill them based on time, and give them the essentials they need for a successful event within that time. That way they pay for what they want and need.

Guys who try to do convoluted packages look silly, and flat rate guys (if they have any head for business on them) are inevitably padding their "One-Low-Price-That-Fits-All" rate to err in their favor - not the client's - so the majority end up paying more than they should have to or otherwise would.

Don't complicate it. Keep it simple. Charge on time and bring the equipment needed to do it right - no less. If they want you to bring MORE, then you charge more.

So if one were to follow the "Ala Cart" idea:

I'll use me as an example

DJ Package - X Hours

Options
Basic Lighting
Advanced Lighting
Up-Lighting
Karaoke
Additional Hours

So now we have someone wanting to know what it costs to have a DJ:

Customer: Hi how much do you charge.

DJ: Our base price is $XXX.XX and includes X hours and X Sound system only. If you want basic lighting it will cost this much more, advanced lighting this much more, up-lighting even more, karaoke even more money, oh you want more hours well that's going to cost you even more money...

Customer: Thanks good bye :sqmad:

Nah... Customers appreciate the approach - at least in my experience. Its all Ive done since I started, and my closing ratio is pretty darn good.

It has a distinct psychological advantage and everybody wins, where in a flat-rate scenario, someone (client or provider) is losing out on every gig.

If you include all you listed for "one low price," there is no getting around it:

You're either giving it away and leaving money on the table in the name of getting business and "being a swell guy," or you're erring in your own favor and some clients are paying more than they would need to if they aren't using those options they are paying your COB for.

There really is no real "middle ground" with the (all-in-1) approach.

Why a) leave any money on the table and give it away, or b) "lose out on some" in hopes you'll "make it up" on the next one? - Charge them for what they need and want!

There is no real right and wrong on this - its just different philosophies and what works for you and your clients.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

But yes - If you buy a cell phone, you get a cell phone. Basic, simple, plain... but it gets the job done. Want Blue Tooth? Cough up the dough! Want a case? That'll be $29.99. Want a car charger? Another $19.95.

Why do we think DJ pricing, options & upgrades should be any different?

Can you HONESTLY say you'd be okay in paying a "flat rate" that covered the phone and the cost of all those xtra goodies if you didin't WANT or didint NEED those extra items? And if you PAID the flat-rate - you'de take them anyway just on principle. Except the "flat-rate" DJ customers don't have that option. They don't get a discount or any other tangibles if they don't use any aspect of what's available. They get gypped.

Its either that OR (and there's no third option) - the provider isn't charging enough to reallistically cover their COB and any kind of profit margin on the deal - in which case I hold back the further commentary! :)

same here no packages either

Nah... Customers appreciate the approach - at least in my experience. Its all Ive done since I started, and my closing ratio is pretty darn good.

It has a distinct psychological advantage and everybody wins, where in a flat-rate scenario, someone (client or provider) is losing out on every gig.

If you include all you listed for "one low price," there is no getting around it:

You're either giving it away and leaving money on the table in the name of getting business and "being a swell guy," or you're erring in your own favor and some clients are paying more than they would need to if they aren't using those options they are paying your COB for.

There really is no real "middle ground" with the (all-in-1) approach.

Why a) leave any money on the table and give it away, or b) "lose out on some" in hopes you'll "make it up" on the next one? - Charge them for what they need and want!

There is no real right and wrong on this - its just different philosophies and what works for you and your clients.

If it ain't broke - don't fix it!

But yes - If you buy a cell phone, you get a cell phone. Basic, simple, plain... but it gets the job done. Want Blue Tooth? Cough up the dough! Want a case? That'll be $29.99. Want a car charger? Another $19.95.

Why do we think DJ pricing, options & upgrades should be any different?

Can you HONESTLY say you'd be okay in paying a "flat rate" that covered the phone and the cost of all those xtra goodies if you didin't WANT or didint NEED those extra items? And if you PAID the flat-rate - you'de take them anyway just on principle. Except the "flat-rate" DJ customers don't have that option. They don't get a discount or any other tangibles if they don't use any aspect of what's available. They get gypped.

Its either that OR (and there's no third option) - the provider isn't charging enough to reallistically cover their COB and any kind of profit margin on the deal - in which case I hold back the further commentary! :)

That's all well and good if you are a business owner of a retail business and are selling a product.

But, Mobile DJ Service is not a product it's a service and as a service parting it out is like selling pieces of air.

Let me explain....

If I order a pizza and I want just pepperoni on it there's a price for that if I want a pizza with everything on it, there's a price on that. With me so far?

Pizza is a product so it makes sense that there be add-on prices for extra toppings over and above the basic cheese pizza and people understand that.

It's called menu ordering....

DJ'n on the other hand is not a product it's a service... you don't get to eat what you order, much less keep it after the service is complete. There's no DJ box to toss out.

Let me see if I can make my point.

If I call up a DJ and say I need someone to rock my party I want a bottom line price on what someone offers without the hassle of the extra cost of things I don't know anything about.

Most clients that I talk to have no idea what lighting can do for their event much less what a VUE III is. How in the world do you describe it to a client who has never seen one and likely wont go surfin' the web for an example even if it's on your website. Further, most don't care what the light does, just that it's there if they want it.

I'm not suggesting that you give away the store... hardly. Create your package(s) based on what you would need to make in order to turn a profit. When you make your package use key words like "FREE" or "Included" this gives the impression of "Added Value" and therefore it doesn't sound like they are paying for what they don't need or want... it's FREE after all or Included in my "One Low Price of..."

Now maybe your in a market where client funds are unlimited and this method would mean leaving money on the table, and the Pizzaria way of ordering where everything costs extra is ok.

Here in my neck of the woods people don't have endless budgets... selling menu style doesn't work it just sounds like you are nickel and diming them. Neither does the hourly thing.... nobody makes $xxx.xx per hour they are lucky to get $8.00/hour... so they don't see the value of hiring by the hour.

Packages work because they get a block of time plus they know what they are getting in that package. Doesn't matter what that block of time is 1hr or 6hrs doesn't matter... it's what is included in the service that is provided that matters and the fact that they don't have to worry their pretty little heads over the extras... since they are already there if they want them.

When you order a value meal at McDonalds will they give you a discount if you don't need the fries?

In my humble opinion I love packages people feel they are getting more "Value" when it is all inclusive. The only extra is for enchanced lighting Here is a copy of our package sheet:
2010 Wedding Packages
DJ Ray Myers understands that your wedding is more than the reception; it is one of the most treasured days of your life. DJ Ray Myers is honored to play a significant role in this truly momentous occasion for that reason we only offer you our best....

The Gold Standard Package
DJ Ray Myers your disc jockey and emcee
The professionalism of an entertainer who has performed at over 750 weddings
We only perform your wedding on your day
Unlimited consultations and meetings
No extra charge for set up or breakdown
100% Legal music library of over 20,000 songs
Interaction with all your guests
Custom scripted introductions for you and your bridal party
Music begins when your first guest arrives, even if early
Cocktail Hour & Dinner Music
Coordination with all your other wedding vendors On site back up equipment
Detailed printed itineraries with copied to all vendors
DJ Ray Myers will dress to fit your wedding theme
A Professional light show with bubbles and snow if requested (We recommend using snow for outside weddings only)
Professional wireless microphone for the toast, blessing, and any speeches
Basic DJ lighting to enhance your reception
Fully insured with $2 Million liability coverage

Up To 4 Hours of UNLIMITED entertainment $900.00

Need more than 4 hours? No problem add $125.00 per extra ½ hour of service

The Gold Standard Plus Package

Everything in our Gold Standard Package Plus:
We will set up a separate sound system for your ceremony
Play 30 minutes of prelude music and 30 minutes for the ceremony
Provide a wireless microphone for your Officiant
An extra 30 minutes of reception time
Up to 6 Uplights

Up To 5-1/2 Hours of UNLIMITED entertainment (1 Hour Ceremony, 4-1/2 Hour Reception)
$1295

Need more than 5-1/2 hours? No problem add $125.00 per extra ½ hour of service

A Retainer of $400.00 and a signed contract is needed to book your date…
final payment is due 5 days prior to event

Lighting:
Add a touch of elegance with a Custom Gobo for an extra $275.00
Add 6 Uplights for an extra $250.00

That's all well and good if you are a business owner of a retail business and are selling a product.

End of the day, I don't buy the product/service distinction, but you have it well-thought out and communicated.

For me myself, I give potential clients I market to a little more benefit of the doubt and don't pretend to make judgments about what they will or won't read, look up, understand, etc. In fact, I get tons of compliments on my site and marketing style based on the very fact that I DO give them all the info. Yes - they do read it. And they appreciate it. I've gotten many, many gigs with the detailed/ad-naseum approach. They LIKE being given details, and the info to make them feel they are making an informed decision. It empowers them and puts them in the driver-seat in a process where most providers are simply baiting them for a phone pitch to "get a quote" or find out what's included.

People know when they're being baited for a pitch, and they appreciate the honesty and respect shown in an approach that doesn't do that.

They don't want a simple online business card to lure them into a call for a quote. That's what some providers want or need because that's the only way they know how to sell. It works for them. As long as the calls are coming in, who's to say there's anything wrong with it?

Like I said - just different philosophies. As long as you can spin your philosophy in a way that they bite and see value - the job is done.

Your method gets you gigs - my method gets me gigs. Everyone just needs to find what works for them.

Besides - when all is said and done, we are all pretty much pricing the same way - we just have differences regarding how our pricing formula is presented (if at all) to the client themselves.

None of us are TRULY "flat-rate" when it comes to our pricing. Some just like to spin it that way because they feel it has certain psychological advantages.

So in the end - it doesn't come down to differences in pricing - it comes down to differences in how we approach the psychology of sales.

I don't sell my services in a package...
only because you would have to offer many packages to suit all the different situations you will find yourself in.
and from a client's point of view, the differences between PACKAGE A and PACKAGE B may not be as obvious as it is to us.
what if PACKAGE A seems to be the best fit, but it doesn't include the one thing they really want, or it includes three things they DON'T want?
then you have to start talking compromises and add-ons, which starts to make me feel like a car salesman.
I don't think it's necessary to include things like a wireless mic for the toast in your package description. It should be standard. Same with being properly dressed or having a big music library. Oh yeah, you should certainly include ALL of the information about what you provide, just not when describing the equipment packages.
I'm not saying it's the perfect way to do business, I just think that a standard set-up, with a standard light show is easier on the client's brain, (as well as mine) and then I just charge by the hour. (and add XXX dollars for a ceremony) If they want something more, then we'll talk additional charges.
besides, I think most brides care more about your presentation, than they care about whether you use the REVO2 or REVO3.

Again, I am not saying anyone on this thread is wrong, just sharing an opinion.

Definitely and right on. The problem, however, comes in with saying - or - trying to tell the client what "standard" is. You can't act like there IS a "standard" equipment package in our line of business, so telling the bride (simply) that you provide one is pretty vacuousness and essentially meaningless at best, and is potentially detrimental to your overall impression in their eyes if your ultimate hope is to differentiate yourself and your offering (and hence the systems you provide) from those of your competition.

So yes - I line-item out those things so they know and don't have to ask. Those are silly questions that they shouldn't have to ask, and that you shouldn't have to answer - because those aren't the things you SHOULD be talking about when you get them live.

You should be talking about THEIR event - THEIR plans - and how you can help them execute it and make it wonderful.

Sorry, but spending the first X-minutes of a phone call or consult answering "Do you have lights? Do you include wireless mics? Do you wear black socks?" et. al. is NOT something I want to be doing!

You are absolutely RIGHT that those things SHOULD be the given - and are the prerequisites - and its exactly because they ARE the prerequisites that you SHOULD ABSOLUTELY list them out so they know ahead of time that that is covered and you can dive into what really matters when they get to you! At that point, if they contact you and you have listed all those things, there is no doubt in their mind as to whether or not you are "equipped" to do the job right - That you are is understood. Passing that line of qualification, they now call you to talk about things that actually matter.

Your website or where you list your packages is your resume. When applying for a day job, do you tell them on your resume that you did "Standard things" or have "standard skills" or accomplished the "standard goals" at your current/previous position(s), or do you list them out in detail as they best meet the prerequisites for or pertain directly to the position you're applying for?

We should approach our presentation of qualifications and packages to our clients the same way. That way the interview can proceed from confidence on both sides that at least some of the qualifications of the applicant are suitable for the job. Do any of us really have the nerve to "assume" or "take it for granted" that your interviewer *should* somehow "know" or "understand" that what we are bringing to the table is sufficient - let alone superior? Of course not! That's absurd!:)

While I agree that in a perfect world, there SHOULD be standards and we shouldn't have to list wireless mics, just like everything else in life, the reality of the situation makes it advisable to not act as if the ideal where the case. :)

As long as there are guys out there like the one recently posted here by someone else telling the clients they have to provide their own speakers for him to plug his X-Box360 into - it IS incumbent upon us as professionals to make it known that we have the tools to do the job right - with equipment, and everything else. Some of us just prefer to do it up-front and build prospect confidence prior-to-contact rather than subject ourselves to the torture and insult of having to answer such banal questions on the phone:p

As we say.... just my opinion as well!

I wasn't talking about an "industry" standard
I was talking each of us having OUR OWN basic package
which for most of us is
speakers, mixer, players, mic's etc.

and when I said you shouldn't list the prerequisites
I did say that you should MENTION them
Just that I, personally, would not list them in with my equipment package.

I wasn't talking about an "industry" standard
I was talking each of us having OUR OWN basic package
which for most of us is
speakers, mixer, players, mic's etc.

and when I said you shouldn't list the prerequisites
I did say that you should MENTION them
Just that I, personally, would not list them in with my equipment package.

Oh - then my apologies- I hereby retract my above monstrous diatribe!

But pertaining to your intended meaning then - My equipment package isn't expressly itemized in my personal packages anyway. I have a separate page that breaks all that down - and even there I am generic and don't itemize.

Anyone here pricing out per day of the week? Ie: Friday/Sunday nights $ Saturday till 5 pm - $$...Nights after 6 pm $$$..

If you mean, is anyone giving a discount or charging a higher price based on day of week or date.... then yes I do.

Holidays are typically higher priced and I do give a discount for off peak months and or weekdays.

For my area at least for weddings if that is what we are talking about the season seams to run from Late March to Early November during which time it's prime wedding season for me... and my rates are higher than during off peak months. The other consideration for my rates at least are holidays such as NYE, Valentine, 4th of July, and halloween just to name a few... I raise rates for those specific days and raise them the most for NYE.

Even during the months where I charge less than during prime I'm still at a rate that is a little above average for my area.

This is a strategy that works well for me and is really basic economics 101.