Wet Lens, whoops

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

SEDJ

DJ Extraordinaire
Apr 1, 2015
Phoenix AZ
Yeah, not a good day, got my lens wet while shooting my daughter playing on the slip and slide , it didnt soaked, but just got enough water in it for it to stop working, I am trying the rice trick , but even if that does work, there is a lot of moisture on the inside of the lens, so its going to need to be taken apart and cleaned.

I think I am just going to replace it, its the 18-55 lens that comes with the D3200, replacing it will be under a $100 depending on if I want to go new or referb. Pretty sure sending it out for service would be well over that.

So adding to Ricks , dont drop your camera thread, dont get it wet either.

I have to send one of my better lenses (Canon 70-200 f2.8 II) in for service this summer .. I dropped it while changing to a longer 100-400 and cracked the glass over the f stop scale (not the main glass, so hopefully it won't be killer in price, though it has to be disassembled). I'm sure I'm out $200-$300 for that one.

Reactions: ittigger and SEDJ
i've gotten my gear wet many times - had a speedlight and pocket wizard on a stand blow over and fall into the ohio river. dried out and both were fine.
shooting a senior in a lake and instead of kneeling i just held the camera at the surface of the water - and she says "do you know you keep dipping the camera in the water?" - pro bodies can take it.

Canon's pro bodies and L lenses, while they dont' suggest it, can be completely submerged and function. Several years ago there was a superbowl that was wet, to say the least - the photogs would come in to change cards/batteries and literally pour the water out of their cameras and go back out and shoot some more.

Dropping them is never any good...but then in the past 2 weeks had my laptop bag fall out as i opened a door and last ngiht one of my yamaha stagepas speakers (in it's padded bag) did the same then when i opened the reach hatch. No damage done. this time.

I have to send one of my better lenses (Canon 70-200 f2.8 II) in for service this summer .. I dropped it while changing to a longer 100-400 and cracked the glass over the f stop scale (not the main glass, so hopefully it won't be killer in price, though it has to be disassembled). I'm sure I'm out $200-$300 for that one.

I sent in my 24-70/2.8 a couple years ago for factory service (focusing problem...suspect related to ocean salt but not sure). $450. I am experiencing a similar issue with my 70-200/2.8 right now and should send it in but admit I'm a little gun shy! Just don't want the bill, but it's not going to get better.

I sent in my 24-70/2.8 a couple years ago for factory service (focusing problem...suspect related to ocean salt but not sure). $450. I am experiencing a similar issue with my 70-200/2.8 right now and should send it in but admit I'm a little gun shy! Just don't want the bill, but it's not going to get better.
I joined the Canon CPS (professional services) group .. I get free cleanings and some discount on service .. hopefully it's not $450.

After sitting in rice over night, I think I got all the moisture out, but its still going to need a cleaning on the inside lens back side , going call a few places here locally and see what kind of estimate I get for a cleaning and take it from there, did a few test photos and its still usable .

Its my only lens so far, I have not got around to getting another lens, which I badly do , shoot, I just now finally ordered some lens hoods.

Reactions: ittigger
i've gotten my gear wet many times - had a speedlight and pocket wizard on a stand blow over and fall into the ohio river. dried out and both were fine.
shooting a senior in a lake and instead of kneeling i just held the camera at the surface of the water - and she says "do you know you keep dipping the camera in the water?" - pro bodies can take it.

Canon's pro bodies and L lenses, while they dont' suggest it, can be completely submerged and function. Several years ago there was a superbowl that was wet, to say the least - the photogs would come in to change cards/batteries and literally pour the water out of their cameras and go back out and shoot some more.

Dropping them is never any good...but then in the past 2 weeks had my laptop bag fall out as i opened a door and last ngiht one of my yamaha stagepas speakers (in it's padded bag) did the same then when i opened the reach hatch. No damage done. this time.
In most cases , after they have fully dried, stuff will work, but long term they may stop , depending on if corrosion occurs, I was doing some research on wet lens and read something that if the water is clean, or more pure, chance of corrosion is lower, but like salt water or any dirty water, you most likely will have issues long term.

Reactions: ittigger
One of the benefits of CPS .. Canon will clean and test up to 5 lenses or bodies (Gold level - $100/yr) or 10 lenses/bodies (Platinum - $300) .. probably worth the $100 just for that. You do have to have a minimum number of "points" (lenses, bodies and flashes worth differing amounts) to get the levels. I get a 20% discount on service and 3 day turnaround. Platinum gets 30% and 2 day .. worth it for a Pro Photographer. I have enough bodies and lenses that the Gold level is sufficient.

Canon Professional Services - About CPS

Val, check with Midwest Camera for a quote. Canon tried to tap me for $1600 for a lens repair, which Midwest completed for $270. Canon also tapped me $400 for a so-called body repair (mount replacement). I don't think they even touched the unit and I heard later that it's their standard line to charge $400 for most anything.