What do you do when you have a drunk annoying guy hanging around the booth too much?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

You have a drunk person excessively in your face all night, what do you do?

• Tell them politely to back away so you can do your job

Votes: 17 100.0%
  • Be brash, and tell the drunk to leave you the heck alone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go find the venue staff to have them talk to the drunk

• Deal With It

• None of the Above (Please explain in thread)

• Total voters

DJMN

New DJ
Feb 6, 2007
Northern Minnesota
Please direct me to where this thread shoud be put.

I have experienced several drunk people distracting me from doing my djing job.

I have been lucky enough that these drunks are happy drunks towards me, as I am pretty good at finding a one on one level with these people.

The problem is, I have a hard time telling people to basically get the f*** out of my booth so I can do my job. I drop several subtle hints to politely leave, but tossin' them out is a bit too much.

How do handle the situation?

Most of the time, these drunks are manageable, and I can handle them, but for example last night, I could hardly take any more of this one drunk who wanted to sing and talk on the mic all night and tell me what everyone wanted to hear. At one point I told him, I need to get this thing rockin, and I needed him to leave the booth. He did so, and about 10 minutes later he was back in my space.

Some other people could see this guy was being a little excessively annoying, and I had some people asking me if I needed help on either getting him get kicked out of the venue, or kicking the crap out of him. Since I am not a pot stirrer, I told them I was alright, and I was handling it.

I made it through last night, but there is a chance this drunk will be at the venue since I play there again tonight. I don't mind some people in my booth every now and then, because it shows I am an approachable dj, but yet there are certain times, when it is very excessive and annoying.

I think one of the things that bothers me the most is some people think that just because they are behind the booth they are cool, and they are part of the crew...lol.

Anways..enough ramblin', what do you say?

A couple of weeks ago I was working at a bar and there's a cash machine and garbage can at the end of my work table. I had one guy bug me all night and I was fairly pleasant in ignoring him. When he puked in the can 3 feet away from me I had enough. I called the bouncer over and had him thrown out.
I try to be civil to everybody but I have my limits and then you just have to say something to get them away.

young...

I'll give this my best shot Adam...

I drink alot, but rarely get drunk. On some occasions though, I will, and I know exactly what I want in return.

I call it the Son of God thing.

At some point in a binge, you believe you know all there is to know, and that you are the Son of God. That means that all forms of life are below you, and they should obey yer every command.

Still with me...?

What I've found that pleased me during these "sessions", was a nice ego boost (sorta similar to a DJ asking for more money, for nothing more in return).

So, if I come up and say play "Rock This Joint", you say -- Yo dude, you know how to rock the house man! I'll get it queued up as quick as I can. I seriously appreciate yer help!

His ego is satisfied, you get to go on with yer gig, and all is well in the world... ;) :)

I am right there with Rick on this one although when your playing at the Catholic School dance and the Father (sauced on Fermented Grape Juice) comes and says play Cowboys From Hell I simply laugh and say man dude thats my favorite song but as much as I would love to play it I wouldnt want them to be offended by my musical taste.

Please direct me to where this thread shoud be put.

I have experienced several drunk people distracting me from doing my djing job.

I have been lucky enough that these drunks are happy drunks towards me, as I am pretty good at finding a one on one level with these people.

The problem is, I have a hard time telling people to basically get the f*** out of my booth so I can do my job. I drop several subtle hints to politely leave, but tossin' them out is a bit too much.

How do handle the situation?

Most of the time, these drunks are manageable, and I can handle them, but for example last night, I could hardly take any more of this one drunk who wanted to sing and talk on the mic all night and tell me what everyone wanted to hear. At one point I told him, I need to get this thing rockin, and I needed him to leave the booth. He did so, and about 10 minutes later he was back in my space.

Some other people could see this guy was being a little excessively annoying, and I had some people asking me if I needed help on either getting him get kicked out of the venue, or kicking the crap out of him. Since I am not a pot stirrer, I told them I was alright, and I was handling it.

I made it through last night, but there is a chance this drunk will be at the venue since I play there again tonight. I don't mind some people in my booth every now and then, because it shows I am an approachable dj, but yet there are certain times, when it is very excessive and annoying.

I think one of the things that bothers me the most is some people think that just because they are behind the booth they are cool, and they are part of the crew...lol.

Anways..enough ramblin', what do you say?

Offer him a drink laced with Crazy Glue. That will keep his trap shut! :rofl::sqlaugh::rofl:

First of all, don't let people into your "booth." In my opinion that's something that shouldn't be happening. There needs to be a barrier between you and the clients. I'm assuming that this is a bar? I did a few bar gigs in my early days and I let no customers into my area, period.

I bartended for quite a number of years and dealt with all types of drunks, from happy to violent and you never know when they'll go from happy to violent without any warning.

Never escalate the situation. Be calm, be firm.

Or just quit doing bar gigs...:sqrolleyes:

Kirby Ball;341912 I did a few bar gigs in my early days and I let no customers into my area said:
If you let the pretty gals in yer booth, Coreen would kill ya! Thats the real reason yer ole lying buzzard! :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh:

If you let the pretty gals in yer booth, Coreen would kill ya! Thats the real reason yer ole lying buzzard! :sqlaugh::rofl::sqlaugh:

Not even the pretty girls..they were usually the "sloppy" drunks that would spill drinks all over the place.... :sqwink: Bar gigs ended over 2 decades before I met Coreen.

I don't like people in my space, for various reasons.. :)

I usually have no problem with applying whatever level of curtness it takes to drive the *hint* home with them. I don't like to be bothered when working, and if you're bothering me, you'll realize it rather quickly... even if you're sauced! :sqmad:

I just ask him what his or her Favorite shot is, and then march them up and buy them one.

Drunks like shots

Since I'm on the front line most of the time, I tell people that our insurance doesn't allow anyone behind the booth; my next lie is to ask for a deposit before they pour their beer on my laptop. If being funny goes over their head, I give Kirby the "look" and he handles it. Really, we've only had a couple of situations that made me nervous (several more that p****ed me off, but that's another story). Maybe we're lucky, but then again, we don't do bar gigs. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have kids I've learned to completly ignore what's going on around me all while still seeing it :sqwink:

Seriously though learn to control the situation by using body language people respond and obey this generally without problem. When they approach you make a move towards them that generally stops the person where they are. Greet them with a smile and ask how you can help them. If you are busy at the time give them the one minute finger (make sure you use the right one or the situation escalates :sqlaugh:) again this stops the person where they are.

Once you find out what they want thank them or make a motion back toward what you are doing that gives them the hint to leave

Make an announcement introducing "Never Gonna Give You Up" or some other totally un-masculine song by the request of Mr Annoying Drunk.

My answer depends on if it's at a bar or at a wedding.

I had one guy who was completely ripped at a wedding come up on stage and ask why I hadn't played his wife's request that she just gave me. (The same song was still playing when he came up as when she gave me the request!) I explained that I had a few ahead of hers, but that I WILL play it. He seemed satisfied and then stalked off. Next song: here he is again. Now he's hollering and swearing. I tell him that my assistant is only 16, and he should watch his language around kids. This only makes him more pissed. Out comes the knife, which he puts up to my neck. My assistant, while young, is built like a football player; he comes up behind the guy and puts his arms up under the guy's shoulders from behind, basically pinning him into a T shape! I casually take the knife from the guy's hand and say, "Okay, this can go two ways. I can call the cops on this cellphone and you'll be taken to jail for armed assault, and the commotion will probably ruin the couple's wedding day. OR, you can sit your ass down and wait your turn like a gentleman and I get to keep this little knife as a souvenir. Your choice." His wife and friends were all standing by the edge of the stage looking a bit pissed at the guy. "C'mon, Frank!" yells one of 'em. He sheepishly walks away. A couple of songs later, THERE HE IS, ON MY DANCE FLOOR! Apparently having a good time! I still have that knife. :)

At a bar: I generally like to talk to my customers, so there's usually some people hanging around my booth. If I get an annoying drunk bothering me, I can usually get an "ally" among the other customers to keep him away. I'll say things like, "Don't block the way -- other customers have requests, too!" I've also done the buy a shot (or beer) trick, but I go lightly on that, because if he gets out of hand or has an accident on the way home, guess who's gonna get sued along with the bar? At my old club, the bouncers used to stand on either side of my booth so that they could keep a good eye on the dance floor. That made the issue REALLY easy!

There's my two pennies...