Weddings What makes a $1500 wedding DJ worth his price?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Galager

DJ Extraordinaire
Feb 5, 2016
I am actually quite apprehensive about even posting this but I think it could be very helpful to me. Full disclosure, I have never done a gig of any kind for over $700 (DON'T JUDGE ME!!!) That said, I would LOVE to be able to command a much larger price. I am learning this DJ thing through trial and error. The closest thing I have had to a mentor is reading in forums like this. I have been DJing for about 8 years.

So, help me up my game to the next level so I CAN charge more. To those DJs who command those kind of prices, what sets you apart?

I think I will go over what I do to prep and do a wedding so you can see where I could improve.

When I give a bid I usually talk to someone on the phone or I give a very detailed written bid. If the potential client wants to meet me first, I am glad to do so.

Once I get the gig I have them fill out my 'Wedding Worksheet'. This is a 7 page document getting all the information I need like what songs they want at various points fo the wedding and reception. It also contains a lot of useful information that I have compiled over the last 8 years.

I also am very adamant that they can call me anytime with questions and I am happy to give suggestions based upon my experience.

I don't do a venue visit unless it is a) very close to my house or b) they pay me a little extra for my time. I explain to them that I am equipped to DJ any venue so long as I have power.

I make one or two phone calls to the B&G before the wedding, one the week of the wedding, just to make sure we are all on the same page.

I always show up earlier than I need to. I uaually wear a white shirt, tie and sports coat unless they specify otherwise.

I DJ alone unless I am doing lights (which I charge extra for). I MC the event.

My gear is good. I have 2 Yamaha 12" DSX subs with 2 Yamaha 10"DXR satalites standard (more than enough sound for the average wedding) and can bring an additional set of Yamaha 12" DXR satalites for more sound if needed. I have a nice rack. I use Otsav. I have a second small set up if I need to play music for the wedding and the reception is in a different part of the building. That way there is almost no downtime of music between the wedding and cocktail hour/reception. They have access to a handheld wireless mic (Shure) or lapel mic AND a wired mic if needed. My lights consist of a Chauvet Mini-Kinta, Chauvet 4 bar, Chauver Mega Trix, a black light, and an American DJ Spherion mirror ball.

I have excellent reviews. I don't have a web site but do have a Facebook page.

Sooo... what can I do better to up my game and up my pricing?

Reactions: Jeff Romard

Well just going based on what you posted above I only see 2 things holding you back from making more. 1 ) You should get yourself a professional website with a contact me form that sends you an e-mail with their information when they fill it out. Majority of my leads tends to come from that form on my Website. 2 ) You - Try rasing your price. You can do this slowly at first. Maybe try listing your packages at $800 or even $1,000. See how it goes. It really sounds like you have everything you need in place.

To be honest, I dunno either. I know there are guys like Randy, who command $1500 for just him and a sound system. In my own case, I fetch $750 for DJ-only and the ONLY way I found to crack the $1k nut was to do add-ons. I used to book at $500 and then added uplighting, then photobooth, etc. I went to a package approach with a lower (DJ-only), mid and upper tier. What I found was that 1/3 would book the high-end package, simply because they were using daddy's credit card and they wanted what they perceived as, "the best". I also would guess that a large portion of getting to that elusive "large fee" status is referrals. When you've won the venue managers, and have them singing your praises, the rate is no longer a major part of the discussion. I've also found that offering a 10% marketing fee (payable to the venue contact or given as a discount to the Bride) also builds loyalty for referrals.

I think
1) you must be in demand....people requesting you
2) you must be getting referrals from past customers
3)you must be confident that you can provide the customer much better event than the $500-$700 DJ.
4) you must be a good sales person, and Btw, a good sales person always makes sure his customers feels they got a good deal afterwards.
Talking someone into something that they regret later is not good sales, it's a con. They will never buy again or refer you.
5) you must provide good value.

For me it's about interaction through out the process not just the day of, example your 7 page info, I sit down with them and go over this in person at the venue a couple of weeks before the wedding that way you can see their vision of what they want to happen, I also frequently meet with clients to help them fill out my questionnaire. you seem like your approach is take the deposit and contact a week before to go over details, don't get me wrong I have clients that prefer that approach and am happy oblige, however my best referrals and tips come from the clients I spend more one on one time with, My rates start at $1295 for 5 hours with a sound system and very simply light show if wanted.

I've only done one wedding, so I'm definitely NO expert here, and I'm not a $1,500 DJ either. But for me, it's all about the personal (in person) contact. I like to meet with the clients face-to-face, to get to know them, and to talk to them and really understand what they want. I've done a site visit before every gig so far because every gig has been at a different venue that I had never been to before. For the wedding I did, I attended the rehearsal, and I would do that every wedding if the clients were OK with it. Yes... it does consume time that I don't charge for, but it helps me do my job better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ittigger
Nobody is going to pay more than you ask - so to get $1500 you have to ask for $1500.

What makes you worth 1500? Damned good question really.

top gear, professionalism, MC excellence - the whole experience.

A few things I learned in 10+ years of photography...the 'big ticket' folks LIE. By omission. I met a few photogs that say " I get $10,000 for a wedding" - and they do 2 a year. their living is made off other things.

So sure, anyone can get a $1500 wedding - but 5 a year won't pay the bills if you're FT. So lower the price to 1000 and get 25, maybe at 800 you get 35 - now you have to decide what is most profitable.

WOM is great but you get a lot more WOM from 35 gigs than 10.
Cost to get the gigs count to - if you spend $10,000 to book $30,000 worth of $1500 weddings vs spending $3k to book 25k worth of $900 weddings which leaves you better off?

I asked 495 last year and got it with very little if any issue - no haggling, negotiation, etc.
This year moved to $695, with a bridal show discount of $100 - no issues at 595.
I AM getting more questions about online reviews and such - my website is new, the old site was non crawled or ranked, i'm not on WW or Knot so googling me brings up little info.
As I book more my price goes up more - supply and demand. I"m moving to $795 next month I think - and placing an ad in a catholic magazine that is given to all prospective brides in the diocese. Since much of that is in the city where costs are higher and travel further I can (and need) to ask for mo money. I'm very tempted to push it to 895...higher price meaning higher quality, right? Often true in the consumers mind.

As I book more my price goes up more - supply and demand. I"m moving to $795 next month I think - and placing an ad in a catholic magazine that is given to all prospective brides in the diocese. Since much of that is in the city where costs are higher and travel further I can (and need) to ask for mo money. I'm very tempted to push it to 895...higher price meaning higher quality, right? Often true in the consumers mind.

I'm all for upping rates but tread slowly. Just my take, but $795 (at least around here) is tapping into the top of the mainstream. Not sure I'd try multiple C-note jumps in a given year. I'm glad to hear you've busted out of the bargain-basement group.

I'm not too far from Rick and I know in the past I was getting $500 for a four hour show with sound/lights. Now I get a minimum of $650 and I know of only one other DJ in the area that gets $800 for a basic wedding sound/light show. It definitely has to also do with the competition. If others in your area are providing a decent service at $500 then it might be difficult at first. So don't do a decent job, do an outstanding job and earn the $ you ask for.

Scott, new here, is in my immediate market area. He tells me he's getting $1800/wedding and won't leave home for less than $1000 for any DJ gig.
I know a few others getting that - or more.
They are the best - I know this for many reasons - mainly from BEING at their weddings and that of 50+ other DJs over the past 10 years.

I'm not there - yet. But I know where to go to get there.

Now...I just added something to my website (copied off one of the top dogs) and it lists a lot of firehalls...not a lot of hotels. Big indication I"m cheap and that there is room to move up, price wise.

Next is a website - they list silver gold and platinum and price ranges for each.
Pittsburgh Wedding Disc Jockey Services

If I'm gonna travel an hour plus, face traffic, parking issues/costs, I want more money. Or why do it? If I needed the 'extra' gigs then fine, but I don't.
I advertised my photography a few years ago in the catholic magazine and while not one bride mentioned the ad I went from 30% catholic weddings to 80% catholic weddings that year. Only year I had like that (one other year got near 50%).

And I'm getting teh same size ad for 25% less...so why not jump on it? And while I suppose I could do a surcharge for milage or such it's easier to put a discount on my site for local weddings "beaver county $100 off!" - many others do it (i've asked)

My "Area" is about 3.5 million people. Probably somewhere about 15th biggest media market in the country.

There are some here that are convinced you cannot charge more than $495, plenty in the $700-$1k, some who get the $1200-$1500. And one company I know that typically gets $2000+ for a wedding. They typically get $10k plus for a mitzvah, so this seems like a bargain for some people. I don't know how many they do, but it's not 1 or 2.

In my opinion, a $1500 DJ is someone that charges that on a regular basis...and gets it on a regular basis. So, for that definition, I am not a $1500 DJ.

One other thing to mention is a mistake I see with some djs. I see some djs bringing too much gear to some events, as if they are trying to justify what they are charging.

By all means, if you need a bunch of gear to accomplish what the client wants and what you've promised, bring it.

Just don't think the client will see extra value in the needless things you've brought along.

One DJ I know brings 3 subwoofers, but only hooks up one. He feels people think they are getting more sound.

I bring in whatever I need, nothing more. Back up gear stays in the car.

One other thing to mention is a mistake I see with some djs. I see some djs bringing too much gear to some events, as if they are trying to justify what they are charging.

By all means, if you need a bunch of gear to accomplish what the client wants and what you've promised, bring it.

Just don't think the client will see extra value in the needless things you've brought along.

One DJ I know brings 3 subwoofers, but only hooks up one. He feels people think they are getting more sound.

I bring in whatever I need, nothing more. Back up gear stays in the car.

That is the quickest way to Back problems, Arthritus etc. Clients do not care about what equipment you are using, or how much equipment you are bringing. Let's get that understood! Equipment brands, and how much, or how big the equipment you set up for all to see DOES NOT MATTER when it comes to selling yourself as a $1,500+ DJ.

With that said,

It is my opinion that the BEST time to be a $1,500+ DJ was in the past. Those days are behind us, and as we move forward further into the future it will become a tougher environment for the $1,500+ DJs out there.

DJs will always be able to book some clients at $1,500+. However, doing it on the routine and making a living out of being a Mobile DJ who routinely books at $1,500, $2,000 etc. is going to diminish.

Reactions: DjDennis
That is the quickest way to Back problems, Arthritus etc. Clients do not care about what equipment you are using, or how much equipment you are bringing. Let's get that understood! Equipment brands, and how much, or how big the equipment you set up for all to see DOES NOT MATTER when it comes to selling yourself as a $1,500+ DJ.

With that said,

It is my opinion that the BEST time to be a $1,500+ DJ was in the past. Those days are behind us, and as we move forward further into the future it will become a tougher environment for the $1,500+ DJs out there.

DJs will always be able to book some clients at $1,500+. However, doing it on the routine and making a living out of being a Mobile DJ who routinely books at $1,500, $2,000 etc. is going to diminish.
you are correct if you continue to market yourself as just a DJ, entertainer / mc, thats a much more profitable market

I am actually quite apprehensive about even posting this but I think it could be very helpful to me. Full disclosure, I have never done a gig of any kind for over $700 (DON'T JUDGE ME!!!) That said, I would LOVE to be able to command a much larger price. I am learning this DJ thing through trial and error. The closest thing I have had to a mentor is reading in forums like this. I have been DJing for about 8 years.

So, help me up my game to the next level so I CAN charge more. To those DJs who command those kind of prices, what sets you apart?

I think I will go over what I do to prep and do a wedding so you can see where I could improve.

When I give a bid I usually talk to someone on the phone or I give a very detailed written bid. If the potential client wants to meet me first, I am glad to do so.

Once I get the gig I have them fill out my 'Wedding Worksheet'. This is a 7 page document getting all the information I need like what songs they want at various points fo the wedding and reception. It also contains a lot of useful information that I have compiled over the last 8 years.

I also am very adamant that they can call me anytime with questions and I am happy to give suggestions based upon my experience.

I don't do a venue visit unless it is a) very close to my house or b) they pay me a little extra for my time. I explain to them that I am equipped to DJ any venue so long as I have power.

I make one or two phone calls to the B&G before the wedding, one the week of the wedding, just to make sure we are all on the same page.

I always show up earlier than I need to. I uaually wear a white shirt, tie and sports coat unless they specify otherwise.

I DJ alone unless I am doing lights (which I charge extra for). I MC the event.

My gear is good. I have 2 Yamaha 12" DSX subs with 2 Yamaha 10"DXR satalites standard (more than enough sound for the average wedding) and can bring an additional set of Yamaha 12" DXR satalites for more sound if needed. I have a nice rack. I use Otsav. I have a second small set up if I need to play music for the wedding and the reception is in a different part of the building. That way there is almost no downtime of music between the wedding and cocktail hour/reception. They have access to a handheld wireless mic (Shure) or lapel mic AND a wired mic if needed. My lights consist of a Chauvet Mini-Kinta, Chauvet 4 bar, Chauver Mega Trix, a black light, and an American DJ Spherion mirror ball.

I have excellent reviews. I don't have a web site but do have a Facebook page.

Here is how you become the $1,500+ DJ

1. Have at least 5 years of DJ Experience with references and reviews to back the experience up
2. Establish a referral base by having strong business relationships with top area wedding planners
3. Establish a Referral base with Hotel, Large wedding venues, and Wedding Mansion Sales Directors, and Food and Beverage Directors, and/or Event Coordinators
SIDENOTE: Hotels have high turn over rates. At most hotels the staff turns over or changes on a yearly or every other year basis so this is very difficult to maintain. The same holds true with some wedding venues, and large venues although staff usually stays longer at these types of venues
4. Execute a Polished Sales Presentation.
5. Be very likeable (If there is something about you that throw's the higher budget clients off, they will look elsewhere)

Finally,

Do research in your market. Some markets won't support a $1,500 DJ as there is just too much competition and/or the area you service is generally a lower income area.

A change these days is how people shop - you need a water heater, toaster, etc and nobody in the stores knows jack shit, and if they do talk often you don't believe them.
So you google for reviews.

I want VALUE- i'm not made of money and if a $90 bread maker gets good reviews then I'll buy it over the $249 one. I won't choose, or rule out, the $49 one on price alone.

I have a new(er) car - for reasons of I want reliable and don't want the hassles of repairs. it's cheaper to buy an old car cash and keep fixing it.
Now i didn't buy a $1m bugatti, or a 400k rolls. Even if they are the best cars on earth, I can't afford it. I also didn't buy the cheapest new car (kia/hyundai) or smallest (smart/fiesta/cobalt).

Now a car is more of a commodity so yeah, once i know what I want price becomes THE deciding factor. Maybe if I had a local dealer, friend, etc I'd have other factors, but it was price. And the internet decided that.

Our chevy truck - PURELY on price over the internet. I did a 'i want xyz' and got back 2 bids...done deal.

Welcome to the new economy.

I ALWAYS shop value .. show me the SAME thing from multiple places and I'll buy on price .. unless you can convince me there is additional value buying from YOU.

DJs (generically) are pretty much the same .. unless there is a VALUE to your business, it will be difficult to get away from price.

But price is not always the starting point .. the BMW I got a year and a half ago certainly wasn't the cheapest I looked at .. but I bought one from the place I got the best value (proximity, price, options).

So you can be a $1500 DJ .. if you can compete with other $1500 DJs .. and show your value over them.