Weddings What makes a $1500 wedding DJ worth his price?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
A client, never having hired a DJ, figures on spending how much? And how did they arrive at that figure?

There are 'budgets' for brides to go by, what percentage of the overall money spent should go to the dj, florist, photography, etc. BUT many brides are looking for ways to cut costs - aren't we all?

So a bride will see DJs from $300 to $2000 say - and she MAY wonder what the difference is. I know I would. But unlike buying a car or toaster where the salesman can say "here is the $19 coffee maker and the $399 barista model" and a consumer can ask and compare and make a judgement based on features and budget, it's a lot harder when YOU offer a wedding DJ package for $1800 and I offer it for $900 and Spiffy on craigslist is toting nearly the same sizzle for $350.

NO dj is gonna say "well, i'm average" or "i have old crappy gear" and if you say "I'm great! I have new gear!" - does the prospect believe you or even care?

its the old sell the benefits, not the features. "I have new gear and what that means to you is reliable and great sounding music"

But to get to that point you need a meeting or at least a phone call..or hope they'll read your website or 400 word email essay response.

The real question then becomes how to get those points, benefits, across to the prospect without ever having contact with them..just your website, or WOM, or online reviews, etc. And the latter 2 you have no control over - what they say, when, how often, etc. "he's a great DJ and he was only $1200" says one thing and "he's a great DJ but we splurged and spent $1200" says something else.

Reactions: DJ Ricky B
There is certainly something to that. Around here there are 2 or 3 high end restaurants and 15 mid-priced and 40 low priced.
There are no luxury car dealers in my county..not a one.
I'm not aware of a single wedding venue of any kind that charges more than $72/plate. Most are 1/2 of that.

All that is part of one's market analysis. If you plan to sell a premium product or service odds are better it will sell where other premium products and services are selling.

So to answer the question below - if you are better, offer more, at the same price, then you should be busier than if you are average or less, right?

You can also judge your place in the market by the venues and wedding sizes you book. If you're being booked to play the VFW and park vs teh Hilton and Marriott and country club that tells you many things. How you interpret that info is the challenge...

Is it your price?
Marketing?
Reviews (or lack of) online?
WOM?
Sales-ability?

Are you getting calls for the high end wedding/venues and not booking them, or are they not calling at all? If not then marketing is at fault.
Are you booking 90%+ of the calls you do get? (raise prices perhaps, you have great sales ability)

Then again, maybe your market area can't support $1,500. If it truly can't support this price level, then what do you believe it supports in terms of compensation for the attributes I explained above?

Iceburgh: I agree. A Bride who does some research will generally see a range of pricing from DJs from $300 all the way to $2,000 in most markets. Depending on where she goes to get price quotes will determine the types of quotes, and the quality of DJs/Companies she is communicating with.

Sales concepts, and how DJs are representing themselves, and communicating with clients, and at what prices they are at is a whole different topic.

I simply made that post from a technical and service stand point.

For there to be a real difference between a $1,500 DJ, and a $300, or a $500, or even a $1,000 DJ, there needs to be real differences....the difference in price can't only be due to higher priced DJs targeting clients better, marketing themselves better, and having a better sales presentation. Those are all big parts of it, but there still has to be noticeable differences between a $1,500 DJ, and a $500 or less DJ that shows 3X the value to the consumer in order for the $1,500 DJ to be "worth the money" ...Correct?

If there are no real differences other than the sales pitch, and targeting the right clientelle better, then either the $500 DJ is priced too low and giving away the farm so to speak, or the $1,500 DJ is somehow getting away with over charging their clients, and not providing a good value for triple the price.

...Good Discussion :)

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
The answer is DEMAND. It's the only answer.

$1500 DJs are perceived to be in high demand among audiences with the the disposable income to pay that fee. The $1500 DJ doesn't even need to be the better DJ - just better known and in more demand in the demographic with more disposable income. This is why word of mouth and referrals are so important - they create a sense of urgency about you.

I'm aware of how certain people refer me and the language they use - often things like: "you really need to call and get your date on his calendar.." etc. Even if I'm not truly that busy - the sense of demand implied along with regular bookings & appearances at events in that demographic all maintain the sense of being the go-to person.

This also brings up the point about "$300 gigs," etc. It's not enough to be a snob about prices and think you're all that and a bag of chips. Even in a high-net worth demographic there are opportunities to step up and do something for the community and you need to be part of that too if you expect to earn anyone's respect and future referral.

You can also be in high demand and be a $500 DJ because that's the demographic where you choose to promote yourself. Demand alone is just a concept - nothing more. It has to be paired with a targeted plan before it becomes the operative support of a given price bracket.

If you're marketing relies entirely on internet phishing then you are probably in the $500+ demographic because there is no real target. Getting higher rates will always come down to the simple math of adding more stuff. Being higher in the search engines is not targeting - it's a shotgun approach. If the price expectations of leads fall short of your expectations - it may be that the prospects you are looking for don't shop the internet for this kind of personal service. The most important aspect of advertising is placement - it has to show up in the right place.

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with ole what's-his-name... DEMAND is the primary driver of price. However, demand for wedding DJ's is very likely down because weddings are down. I was just reading the following article, which contains some pretty sad statistics... especially for wedding DJ's... Goodbye, empty nest: Millennials staying longer with parents
With fewer millennials getting married, and an abundance of DJ's, it certainly may impact demand. On the other hand, with more of them living at home longer, and getting married later in life, it's possible they may have larger wedding budgets. Not sure if these offset.[emoji4] It's interesting, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're only distinguishing yourself from inexperienced DJs from what you're saying here. The average DJ has good equipment, shows up early etc.

I believe it is a difference in opinion. I have been a successful profession full commission salesman for man years. Before any of us actually do a gig, it's all salesmanship. And some of us are better at it than others. I will concede that there are vastly different styles of salesmanship that can be effective. For me, my salesmanship style is based on 2 things. 1) Projecting an image of expertise by going into great detail about what they can expect when they work with me. I want them to feel they are getting someone who is very experienced and can handle the stress of such an important day. 2) Distinguishing myself from my competition. (this next part can sometimes upset people so please keep an open mind) I don't want them to be able to compare apples to apples. I want them to have to choose between apples and oranges. Translation = there are many good DJs out there that play music. apples to apples. I want them to see that other DJs DON'T do (or at least put some doubt in their minds) many of the things I do thereby making me the logical choice. I want to stress that I don't do this by belittling other DJs and saying what other DJs don't do. I do this by stating many things I DO do. An example is my mentioning that I have newer gear. Does that mean the other DJs DON'T have newer gear? I didn't say that, but by me mentioning it, it implies that there are some who might not have newer gear, which is true. Family friendly music is another example. I'm not saying other DJs will play songs with 'F' bombs being dropped but by my mentioning that I am a family friendly DJ, it implies that maybe not all DJs are as careful as I am about profanity or inappropriate lyrics when children are around.

Until the contract is in hand, it's all about selling.

Many of you may not like what I just wrote. Often people don't like salesman or how sales is done. "How can you tell when a salesman is lying? His lips are moving." The reality is good salesmanship is just as much a skill as DJing and is often misunderstood. There is nothing wrong or immoral about distinguishing yourself from the competition (apples and oranges) and not enough people know how to do it well.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat
FUD is certainly one way to sell .. not sure the best way, but that's just my opinion.

Having also been in the sales world for 30+ years, I have been through many of the sales technique trainings: Negotiative Selling, Social Styles for Successful Selling, Consultative Selling, Spin Selling, yada yada.

I've always found that honesty, integrity, charm, and yes, knowledge .. shine through regardless of how you spin things.

Reactions: SEDJ and DJ Bobcat
I've always found that honesty, integrity, charm, and yes, knowledge .. shine through regardless of how you spin things.
Totally agree... I was never in sales, but when I was the VP of Information Technology at a software company, I was frequently brought in to close a sale... mostly because I was completely honest and knew my shi... stuff [emoji1]. And maybe I was a little bit charming[emoji1]. I don't think I could be a salesman, especially if I had to depend on spin.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it is a difference in opinion. I have been a successful profession full commission salesman for man years. Before any of us actually do a gig, it's all salesmanship. And some of us are better at it than others. I will concede that there are vastly different styles of salesmanship that can be effective. For me, my salesmanship style is based on 2 things. 1) Projecting an image of expertise by going into great detail about what they can expect when they work with me. I want them to feel they are getting someone who is very experienced and can handle the stress of such an important day. 2) Distinguishing myself from my competition. (this next part can sometimes upset people so please keep an open mind) I don't want them to be able to compare apples to apples. I want them to have to choose between apples and oranges. Translation = there are many good DJs out there that play music. apples to apples. I want them to see that other DJs DON'T do (or at least put some doubt in their minds) many of the things I do thereby making me the logical choice. I want to stress that I don't do this by belittling other DJs and saying what other DJs don't do. I do this by stating many things I DO do. An example is my mentioning that I have newer gear. Does that mean the other DJs DON'T have newer gear? I didn't say that, but by me mentioning it, it implies that there are some who might not have newer gear, which is true. Family friendly music is another example. I'm not saying other DJs will play songs with 'F' bombs being dropped but by my mentioning that I am a family friendly DJ, it implies that maybe not all DJs are as careful as I am about profanity or inappropriate lyrics when children are around.

Until the contract is in hand, it's all about selling.

Many of you may not like what I just wrote. Often people don't like salesman or how sales is done. "How can you tell when a salesman is lying? His lips are moving." The reality is good salesmanship is just as much a skill as DJing and is often misunderstood. There is nothing wrong or immoral about distinguishing yourself from the competition (apples and oranges) and not enough people know how to do it well.

I don't think anyone would get angry by what you post, it's just that it's about 25 years out of date. Mobile DJs have been a mainstay at wedding receptions since the mid 1980's. There's a solid 35+ year history and consumer knowledge base that your sales description seems to be unaware of. There is a 25 year old pro-sumer "DJ industry" built to serve the multitude of competitors that surround you. The inferences you think bride's will draw about other DJs are based on your personal bias which the brides don't share.

I'm inclined to believe that bride's are already better educated about your competition than you are. You need to get in touch with the present day knowledge base and consumer opinion, and the real competition that is out there. Brides aren't interested in EVERY detail - just the details that they themselves bring to the discussion. I mention the 7 page planner because you are not a museum - your focus needs to be on the NEW reality of DJs and not the archive of your last 20 years in operation.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone would get angry by what you post, it's just that it's about 25 years out of date. Mobile DJs have been a mainstay at wedding receptions since the mid 1980's. There's a solid 35+ year history and consumer knowledge base that your sales description seems to be unaware of. There is a 25 year old pro-sumer "DJ industry" built to serve the multitude of competitors that surround you. The inferences you think bride's will draw about other DJs are based on your personal bias which the brides don't share.

I'm inclined to believe that bride's are already better educated about your competition than you are. You need to get in touch with the present day knowledge base and consumer opinion, and the real competition that is out there. Brides aren't interested in EVERY detail - just the details that they themselves bring to the discussion. I mention the 7 page planner because you are not a museum - your focus needs to be on the NEW reality of DJs and not the archive of your last 20 years in operation.

I respectfully disagree. Many many times I have had clients (brides and mothers mostly) express a fair amount of bewilderment about what they should do next, what works, what doesn't, etc. Many of the items I bring up in my 7 page wedding worksheet and my quote they had not considered before. It is true that there are those who ARE well informed. Even then, however, this system works well because it reinforces my competency while creating a little doubt for those DJs who do not address many of these items.

Besides, different clients have different hot buttons that motivate them to buy. Some really dig my family friendly angle, some really like all the information, some like my philosophy about how I decide what to play, etc. The more I put out there, so long as it doesn't bore them, the higher chance I am going to find that hot button and can build on it.

Now, this may not be as big an issue for someone like Proformance who gets most of his gigs via referrals (I'm new enough where I don't have that luxury yet) but I am trying to distinguish myself from my competition, especially the competition that is cheaper than me.

Good discussion.

Reactions: IceBurghDJ
I mention the 7 page planner because ...

FYI, the 7 page wedding worksheet is not as daunting as it sounds. Much of it is suggestions and cautions, etc. to help them in their planning and to educate them on things that will make my life a lot easier like 'putting no tables between the speakers and the dance floor so the ear drums of those at the tables are not blown out as I try to play music loud enough for people to dance to'. The questions are things like "what song do you want for your first dance? Is the bride taking the grooms name so I know how to announce you?", etc.

I don't do planning during the sales process. Ideas with real value I share after I've been paid or contracted for them.
I think much of what you describe however, already saturates the internet in the form of a litany of advice regarding DJs and lends itself to a conversation not bulk reading material. We'll have to agree to disagree about anything that is 7 pages long.

Last edited:
The answer is DEMAND. It's the only answer.

$1500 DJs are perceived to be in high demand among audiences with the the disposable income to pay that fee. The $1500 DJ doesn't even need to be the better DJ - just better known and in more demand in the demographic with more disposable income. This is why word of mouth and referrals are so important - they create a sense of urgency about you.

I'm aware of how certain people refer me and the language they use - often things like: "you really need to call and get your date on his calendar.." etc. Even if I'm not truly that busy - the sense of demand implied along with regular bookings & appearances at events in that demographic all maintain the sense of being the go-to person.

This also brings up the point about "$300 gigs," etc. It's not enough to be a snob about prices and think you're all that and a bag of chips. Even in a high-net worth demographic there are opportunities to step up and do something for the community and you need to be part of that too if you expect to earn anyone's respect and future referral.

You can also be in high demand and be a $500 DJ because that's the demographic where you choose to promote yourself. Demand alone is just a concept - nothing more. It has to be paired with a targeted plan before it becomes the operative support of a given price bracket.

If you're marketing relies entirely on internet phishing then you are probably in the $500+ demographic because there is no real target. Getting higher rates will always come down to the simple math of adding more stuff. Being higher in the search engines is not targeting - it's a shotgun approach. If the price expectations of leads fall short of your expectations - it may be that the prospects you are looking for don't shop the internet for this kind of personal service. The most important aspect of advertising is placement - it has to show up in the right place.

I agree that Demand is a big part of a DJ's success. Clients who were referred or see the DJ before are going to be clients who are much more likely to pay a higher fee. However, there is a limit to those higher fees without actually being considerably better than the "average DJ". At what point do clients who were totally willing to book that DJ go "wait a minute...this guy is expensive...I'm going to look around and compare"?

Another issue I have with DEMAND being the only difference between a $500 DJ, and a $1,500 DJ then which DJ has their pricing structure wrong?

Is there really no real difference between a $500 DJ, and a $1,500 DJ? You are basically saying that all DJs are for the most part "the same". The difference is that the $1,500 DJ is situated in a higher income area (AND) has been successful in targeting the higher income earning clients. The $1,500 guy is in with the circles of people who are able to afford the $1,500 DJ. However, the $1,500 guy's service, quality of show, and end result yields no differently than the $500 DJ? ...If that is true, then is the $1,500 DJ essentially just screwing his/her clients over with a smile knowing they are essentially the same as the $500 "average" DJ? ...Or is it the other way around? ...Is the $500 DJ totally worth more, and under quoting for their service?

There has to be differences between the two DJs at such a drastic price difference, shouldn't there be? ...For instance...this is like saying that there are two different Chevrolet Dealers. One sells Chevy cars for $15,000 to their clients...it's the same car that the other dealer sells...BUT the other dealer is selling that car for $45,000 to their customers on a routine basis. The other dealer's customers have a stronger influence of referral, and really just have to buy from that dealer. Even though the same thing can be had for 1/3 the price a few miles down the road.

Does that make sense? Do DJ clientele really cough up 3X the money to book a certain DJ because they have the budget, and feel the need to book that particular DJ instead of researching and finding other comparable DJs at a much lower price point?

That can't really be true can it? ...I mean there really should be some sort of difference in the quality between the $500 DJ and $1,500 DJ for the $1,500 to be "worth the price". If there are not any differences, then why in the world would anybody spend 3X more? Or is it that clientele that is fine paying $1,500 sold on the notion that a $500 DJ will be a bad decision, and they should spend the money on a "Good" DJ?

I can compare this to Hotels/Motels. In most areas there is a Motel 6, or a Econo Lodge, or "Budget Inn" somewhere. Very basic room with 2 double beds, no pool, no continental breakfast. You can find these on the weekend for $99 a night...or less. Then up the street there is a Marriot. The Marriot is in demand on the weekends because they have a big indoor pool with whirl pool, the bed rooms are outfitted with luxury items and amenities. Nicer beds. Cleaner appearance of the hotel. The hotel justifies the higher price point of $299 a night with way more amenities on top of being a "luxury" brand hotel. Many people will pay 3x the rate because they want to stay in a nicer hotel with vacation level amenities over "just a roof over their heads" for the night. The two hotels are "not the same" or "virtually the same". There are large differences in the perception, and what each hotels offer.

...Shouldn't there be differences between the DJs other than just "demand" causing the big differences in price?

hhhmmm :scratchhead:

...Shouldn't there be differences between the DJs other than just "demand" causing the big differences in price?

hhhmmm :scratchhead:

Why?? Paris Hilton is a FAR worse DJ than most .. yet is in FAR more demand than most. I suppose her looks are worth something, but demand, for some reason, appears to be the bigger ticket item. Demand is also why Apple gets nearly double what other vendors get for their products .. the components are basically the same .. and there are other vendors that have similar or even better design features.

Demand comes from a number of places .. At one point you actually NEED to have a better product or service in some fashion, but from there it can be a self-perpetuating machine with minimal maintenance.

Why?? Paris Hilton is a FAR worse DJ than most .. yet is in FAR more demand than most. I suppose her looks are worth something, but demand, for some reason, appears to be the bigger ticket item. Demand is also why Apple gets nearly double what other vendors get for their products .. the components are basically the same .. and there are other vendors that have similar or even better design features.

Demand comes from a number of places .. At one point you actually NEED to have a better product or service in some fashion, but from there it can be a self-perpetuating machine with minimal maintenance.

Paris Hilton is not a good example. She is a Celebrity who comes from a Billionaire Family. She helps pack arenas and festivals, concerts etc.

If we were talking David Guetta or Tiesto, that wouldn't be a good example either. They are producers who produce their own music which tops the charts in EDM Genre. They earn Millions from multiple revenue streams. These examples are not "Service industry" related.

We are talking talking Mobile Wedding DJs. DJs working weddings. A Bride isn't going to hire Paris Hilton or David Guetta to be their Wedding DJ. I would wager that David Guetta isn't going to fill his calendar booking weddings at crazy high dollar amounts!

When a DJ like Peter Merry for example get's to the $3,000 Wedding DJ booking level. ...If they lose their demand and see a major decline in their bookings...do they decide to exit the market at their $3,000 price level, or drop prices considerably to stay in the business and keep busy. If a DJ makes it to the $3,000 wedding booking level, I'd imagine it be pretty darn hard to stay in business booking $500 to $1,000 Weddings because Demand for their service dropped off.

If their price was "WORTH the $3,000 for all those years, why degrade the service by large margins to bring demand back? Wouldn't that DJ be giving away the farm if they were worth the $3,000 before?

Paris Hilton is not a good example. She is a Celebrity who comes from a Billionaire Family. She helps pack arenas and festivals, concerts etc.

If we were talking David Guetta or Tiesto, that wouldn't be a good example either. They are producers who produce their own music which tops the charts in EDM Genre. They earn Millions from multiple revenue streams. These examples are not "Service industry" related.

We are talking talking Mobile Wedding DJs. DJs working weddings. A Bride isn't going to hire Paris Hilton or David Guetta to be their Wedding DJ. I would wager that David Guetta isn't going to fill his calendar booking weddings at crazy high dollar amounts!

When a DJ like Peter Merry for example get's to the $3,000 Wedding DJ booking level. ...If they lose their demand and see a major decline in their bookings...do they decide to exit the market at their $3,000 price level, or drop prices considerably to stay in the business and keep busy. If a DJ makes it to the $3,000 wedding booking level, I'd imagine it be pretty darn hard to stay in business booking $500 to $1,000 Weddings because Demand for their service dropped off.

If their price was "WORTH the $3,000 for all those years, why degrade the service by large margins to bring demand back? Wouldn't that DJ be giving away the farm if they were worth the $3,000 before?
They were merely examples ..

Why is Peter Merry worth $3K? I will submit there are better DJs here than he is. There might even be better MCs. He's in demand because he's in demand ... but he got in demand by doing things different than others .. whatever it was, people preferred it and made him in demand. Demand becomes self fulfilling for a while.

Reactions: ittigger

Airplanes have been around over 100 years...what do you know about what's on sale today and what features/benefits you need, what is a good price, etc?

How about motorcycles? (100+ years) AR rifles? (50+ years), 1911 pistols (100+ years)? Teflon cookware?

Just because it's been around a long time and there is a 'consumer knowledge base' doesn't mean the consumer has a clue about it when it's time for them to buy it.

I'm inclined to believe that bride's are already better educated about your competition than you are.

I agree and rec shopping the competition. When I worked retail and chain restaurants they did just that. I've been sent into the competition's stores to check pricing.

You need to get in touch with the present day knowledge base and consumer opinion, and the real competition that is out there. Brides aren't interested in EVERY detail - just the details that they themselves bring to the discussion. I mention the 7 page planner because you are not a museum - your focus needs to be on the NEW reality of DJs and not the archive of your last 20 years in operation.

I find brides don't know, expect me to do it all, make assumptions, etc. I'm not cooking them dinner where I would take care of all the details (what meat, how it's prepped, how it's cooked, the presentation on the plate, etc). I have to know what they're idea is (fast food/budget/diy or fancy restaurant?), what they want for music (hamburger or fish or steak) and what kind of presentation do they want (lighting, sound - aka paper plate, fine china, etc).

And no, not all DJs are the same on any of these items. If I don't ASK or EDUCATE then I'M GUILTY of assuming they know how I operate...and how would then know that?

By educating them (aka consulting if you wish) then I increase my value to them. If I do this BEFORE the sale I can ask for more money (justifiably so). If I do it after I've lost perhaps one of the reasons I should be hired over the 'cheaper' options.

I don't do planning during the sales process. Ideas with real value I share after I've been paid or contracted for them.
I think much of what you describe however, already saturates the internet in the form of a litany of advice regarding DJs and lends itself to a conversation not bulk reading material. We'll have to agree to disagree about anything that is 7 pages long.

my basic planner form they fill out is 3 pages - and i usually give them a 4 page 'top weddings songs' as ideas...so 7 pages.

I prefer not to overwhelm them with info up front...'here, fill out this 10 page booklet and get back to me...' would scare off most prospects.

And brides assume all DJs are the same...obviously we are not.

So the question becomes how to 'educate' the consumer as to YOUR way of doing things and why it's best FOR THEM and why they should pay you a premium for it!

Fair enough. If what you do works for you, awesome. What I do works for me. Fantastic. We are different and we both succeed. It's a win for both of us.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat