What size generator would you rent for this event outdoors?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

MIXMASTERMACHOM

DJ Extraordinaire
ODJT Supporter
Oct 16, 2011
I got a meeting to attend on Saturday. I'm looking to present to the people there a plan that I feel will work for a family reunion in 2020 and 2021. If they agree to it and we do it I want to make sure that we use the right generator for the job. The first time we ever did it I rented the wrong size generator for the job and burnt out a power strip. I was looking to save this lady that I worked with at the time some money and didn't know any better.

Depending on the sound permit for the park they will have it in I would use either 2 powered tops alone or with a sub. So what would you suggest we use so there is no issues?

No - because if the generator was not powerful enough, you would damage the equipment - not the power strip. An overloaded power strip could 'burn up'.

Theoretically, a home circuit, constantly powered at 15A could burn up an overloaded power strip. A 'not powerful enough' generator with an overloaded 15A circuit would bog the engine down to where it's not providing enough voltage - damaging the equipment and not the power strip. As with a home circuit, a 'more than enough power' generator could burn up an overloaded power strip. In addition, generator power is not necessarily the same as wall power.

FYI - overloaded power strip / circuit = you're not configuring things properly.

Last edited:
Let me keep it simple here. I've used a more powerful generator since then more than once and no issues other than running out of gas and having to do a refill.

no issues other than running out of gas and having to do a refill.
Mix Works better if you fill before you are out of gas. No down time & you don't look bad.

Reactions: ittigger
Let me keep it simple here. I've used a more powerful generator since then more than once and no issues other than running out of gas and having to do a refill.

I guess 'simple' means you'd rather not understand how things work. If you use a generator, it is your job to understand how it works and how to use it properly. If you're overloading power strips on a generator, I have to imagine you do this on normal circuits as well. This is not a good thing.

If the above is the case, you should be able to answer your own question.

I guess 'simple' means you'd rather not understand how things work. If you use a generator, it is your job to understand how it works and how to use it properly. If you're overloading power strips on a generator, I have to imagine you do this on normal circuits as well. This is not a good thing.
I don't want to fight with you man. That happened the first time we ever used one. Never happened again after that.

Thats cool. I don't want to fight about it either - but you need to understand why things happen so you don't cause them to happen. Having more power is all good - but if you're overloading power strips or circuits, then you will eventually have issues - with both generator power and indoor power. You can ignore this if you'd like - but if something you do causes a fire - you better be ready to deal with it.

I hear you but I'm telling you the generator was under powering the setup we were using at the time causing the power strip to give out.

For your knowledge Mix, an under powered generator would not cause a power strip to give out. It would cause damage to the components plugged into the power strip - because they are not receiving what they need to operate - think about a kids meal with 1 nugget instead of 4 - that kid won't be happy and will likely have a meltdown.

An overloaded power strip is one where there is more power flowing through than the strip is rated for - think about all the kids in the family on a sugar rush.

Think of speakers. What happens if you underpower them? What happens if you overpower them? Same concept.

Last edited:
I did an outdoor ceremony/reception in a park a few years back.
Rented this for $40 a day.
Started the event with a full tank, ad only had to add gas once in about 7 hours.
I used two powered tops, mixer, EQ, and laptop...

50dc361b-a830-4d5b-95db-672461c360f4_1000.jpg

I did an outdoor ceremony/reception in a park a few years back.
Rented this for $40 a day.
Started the event with a full tank, ad only had to add gas once in about 7 hours.
I used two powered tops, mixer, EQ, and laptop...

View attachment 31893
How's Mix going to run his 2 needed sets of subs on that ..

Reactions: Ausumm and ittigger
How's Mix going to run his 2 needed sets of subs on that ..
Maybe one sir. You forget the permit will have limitations on how loud the music can be. It's a big difference if we were talking a festival in a park. We're just talking a family reunion.

we're talking free event!
No not free if they do it right in 2020 and 2021. The way I'm going to suggest they do it is in such a way that nobody has to go crazy worrying about how it will be paid.

This year's family reunion is going to be ghetto. It's going to be on Saturday July 22nd in recreation hall in Maplewood from 2-6pm. Place probably won't have any AC. So people will be burning up in the place. So only 4 hours and it's over. The food will be catered by Shop Rite. $35 per person. I'm not the DJ. They already have one. The funny thing I heard was in the beginning the DJ will play stuff for the Aunts to enjoy. What DJ doesn't know you play older stuff for the older people first and work your way up for a family reunion? I want to be there so I can have a great laugh!

So free for 2017, 2018, and 2019 in hopes that it will be different in 2020?