What size generator would you rent for this event outdoors?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Mix .. I have NEVER seen anyone charge for a family or friend event. Class reunions, yes .. family reunions, no. People bring things (food, beverages), but I have never seen one where there was a charge .. even if a hall was rented. Must be different way up here in CT.
So how does a family reunion get paid for where you are?

What my best friend does when he has a cookout in the park is he supplies a lot of the food and people donate stuff to help out. His wife gets the permit. Us being a part of the family don't mind helping out.

Every time they have done one has been nice. Only issue is once his wife didn't have the proper permit to have a DJ playing music. She got fined because this one cop wouldn't let it go where the first cop was cool with it. He saw we weren't a rough crowd.

Mix .. I have NEVER seen anyone charge for a family or friend event. Class reunions, yes .. family reunions, no. People bring things (food, beverages), but I have never seen one where there was a charge .. even if a hall was rented. Must be different way up here in CT.

I have seen "registration fees" for family reunions before but generally it goes to events they are holding that weekend, attraction passes and so on. It's done because they save money on a group rate rather than each one paying individually. Usually any money left over gets donated to charity. They aren't done for profit

What my best friend does when he has a cookout in the park is he supplies a lot of the food and people donate stuff to help out. His wife gets the permit. Us being a part of the family don't mind helping out.

Every time they have done one has been nice. Only issue is once his wife didn't have the proper permit to have a DJ playing music. She got fined because this one cop wouldn't let it go where the first cop was cool with it. He saw we weren't a rough crowd.

Rough crowd had nothing to do with it. Having a permit did.

Last edited:
The issue is she didn't get the right permit. She didn't know you need a permit that will allow a DJ to play in a park. I didn't know that either since I don't regularly do such events. Never ran across a cop having something to say about me the DJ playing in a park. I've done block parties and after a certain time the police would show up to either check to see if everything was OK or to tell that it was time for things to end.

What are you talking about? Read what little words on what contract?
The contract that was signed at the time of the deposit. Generally the contract is gone over with you no matter how many times you have rented.

Reactions: ittigger
The contract that was signed at the time of the deposit. Generally the contract is gone over with you no matter how many times you have rented.
What does that have to do with having the right permit? The basics is the cost to rent a generator and what time you need to bring it back so they don't charge you for the next days rental.

Only issue is once his wife didn't have the proper permit to have a DJ playing music. She got fined because this one cop wouldn't let it go where the first cop was cool with it. He saw we weren't a rough crowd.
The issue is she didn't get the right permit. She didn't know you need a permit that will allow a DJ to play in a park.
Whenever you sign a contract, you should read the little words.
What are you talking about? Read what little words on what contract?
The contract that was signed at the time of the deposit.
What does that have to do with having the right permit?
The permit is a contract!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The issue is she didn't get the right permit. She didn't know you need a permit that will allow a DJ to play in a park.
I've never gotten a permit. That's their responsibility. Their event not mine.

Mix, the permit (contract) would have told them that they need extra permission to have a DJ - this is ALSO their responsibility. Because they didn't read it, they get a ticket / fine.

You can't make this stuff up, I swear.

Last edited:
Mix, the permit (contract) would have told them that they need extra permission to have a DJ - this is ALSO their responsibility. Because they didn't read it, they get a ticket / fine.

You can't make this stuff up, I swear.
I'll be kind on this one. She got the permit allowing for the event to take place in the park. She got them before and never an issue. So she never knew that you need a special permit for a DJ to be there playing music.

What happened is someone in a house pretty close to the park called the police. That's what happened. It's that simple.

I'll be kind on this one. She got the permit allowing for the event to take place in the park. She got them before and never an issue. So she never knew that you need a special permit for a DJ to be there playing music.

What happened is someone in a house pretty close to the park called the police. That's what happened. It's that simple.
My guess is she never got a copy of the park rules and regulations ignorance is no excuse

My guess is she never got a copy of the park rules and regulations ignorance is no excuse
I don't know. I can't answer that question and for other events I've done outside I don't know if they have gotten the proper permit or if they have one at all. I just do the job I'm getting paid for and that's it.