What songs should you play more often?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Kevin Kelly

New DJ
Aug 31, 2006
I'm ripping my library to the computer so I'm looking at things very closely and I'm coming across songs that I haven't played like in....forever! If at all! And these are songs that I think would go over very well at at typical function.

What are some songs that make you do the V-8 head slap?

One of mine is "500 Miles by" The Proclaimers. I played it at approximately the 3rd gig I ever did (wedding reception for 25 people...lol) and now that I see it I can remember groups of people that would've loved it!

Judging from the responses that I get on these boards, more DJs should play RASPUTIN and ELVIRA more often.

:)

Like I said, I never heard of it.... and don't think any DJs are playing it in Philly.

Maybe.... But I play Mountain Music and occasionally Thank God I'm a Country Boy.

Like I said, I never heard of it.... and don't think any DJs are playing it in Philly.

Maybe.... But I play Mountain Music and occasionally Thank God I'm a Country Boy.

Mountain Music is another one! I think that would go over with almost any crowd...

Keep an ear perked for the recurrents, too. Some recurrents last for several years ~ you can play 'em to a receptive audience.

These are often tracks that have aged a bit but brides still request 'em on their planners.

So I'm sure we all play Margaritaville till we hate it, but has anyone had any luck with Cheeseburger in Paradise? That's one that I saw that I'm still not sure of...stupid song but who knows....

So I'm sure we all play Margaritaville till we hate it, but has anyone had any luck with Cheeseburger in Paradise? That's one that I saw that I'm still not sure of...stupid song but who knows....

Ah, well now, I have TONS of insight on that song.....

That song is my Brother in Law's all time favorite song. It gets played at every single event that there is a DJ. So his whole family gets into it.... they have a blast with it... but as far as people from oustide his ( my wife's ) family?.... Well, it is entirely hit or miss.

BTW, her family goes CRAZY over Paradise By the Dashboard Light.... It is wild.... but I never see any other events where it gets played anymore, and I know that I have yet to be asked for it since getting back in business.

So, do you guys still play that?

dawg...

I use 500 almost every adult event...

here great set using 500 is:

Cecelia
500 Mile
rasputin
Home for a rest

dawg...

Cecelia
500 Mile
rasputin
Home for a rest

See, another Canadian guy...... I'm telling you, here in Philly, we don't even know what that song is, by and large......

dawg...

Cecelia
500 Mile
rasputin
Home for a rest

:sqconfused::sqconfused::sqconfused::sqconfused:

Aside from 500 miles the only other song that I may know is Cecelia. The Simon & Garfunkle song? Really? Dude, you canucks are weird! LOL....jk

Aside from 500 miles the only other song that I may know is Cecelia. The Simon & Garfunkle song? Really? Dude, you canucks are weird! LOL....jk

You never noticed Kevin... Many of them play that song. Now, that, in and of itself doesn't make them wierd.....:sqwink::sqlaugh: Seriously, I have seen them post it a lot in their playlists.

OK, You "regular" Canadians know that I love ya, and am just busting chops!

Weird is good

Dude, you canucks are weird! LOL....jk

To paraphrase W.C. Fields, on the whole, I'd rather be in Canada.

I got the red nose

in resembling that remark!!!
To paraphrase W.C. Fields, on the whole, I'd rather be in Canada.
However I prefer the character W.C. Fritos!:sqcool:

PARADISE BY THE DASHBOARD LIGHT is a STANDARD!
CECILIA is a STANDARD!

CHEESEBURGER IN PARADISE is the only Jimmy Buffett song I ever play.

Oh, and I often play ELVIRA!! and RASPUTIN!!!!

If it's any help I've received requests for Paradise By The Dashboard Light at many weddings over the years. If they want it, Wolfie will play it. :)

Margaritaville is a classic. Alan Jackson's It's Five O'Clock Somewhere is great to add to this set.

Cheeseburger In Paradise isn't what I'd call a hot dance number but it is quite popular with Buffet fans.

FWIW, I had better success with Buffet's Volcano and Fins, more than Cheeseburger.

Paradise is a classic, and it works even better if the guys and gals start the song doing a modified stroll with each other, taking turns doing a spotlight dance as they move down the chute.

Then they have to get to the "stop right there!" part and then the really cool guy (or the one with the most booze in him) acts out the song's ending with his partner.

"Rasputin" seems to be a Canadian phenomena. It never really was a hit in California.....

Agree about "500 miles"......especially whenever you have a Scottish or Irish crowd.

Who doesn't play Rasputin?

I've never played Cecilia...I've thought of it though (Tiimes 2 had a reggae-ish version in the 80's-90's). I've thought about Paul Simon - Late in the evening as well....
I need to start playing more 90's standards....

Never played Elvira...that I can remember...I'll have to..

Mountain Music is a great tune, just as is Johnny Cash - Get Rhythm, Eddie Rabbit - Drivin my Life Away, Steve Earle - Guitar town and Chuck Berry - No Particular place to Go....