What's most important in getting direct referrals or repeat business?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Jas

DJ Extraordinaire
May 22, 2013
Someone brought up "selling the invisible" on another thread. As a service with an audience, being seen at an event is our chance to be visible (and audible).

Direct referrals are referrals from those that were present at an event you DJ'd at. Hopefully, these are prospects that were impressed enough with something about you that they're very interested in booking you. They're already sold enough to get in touch with you and most likely they only need to agree on your price.

It would be interesting to see opinions on this topic. What wows folks so much that they want you as their DJ?

Or, what turns people off about DJs they see, so they'll never call?

Over the years I have found difficult to find people willing to be brutally honest with me about areas where I need to improve .
I need to know what I can do better, Not telling me just good! You can not get better if you are not sure why your not getting some of the clients or willing to listen.

Reactions: DJ Bobcat and Jas
You could send out evaluation forms or have a 3rd party send them out to get clients to be even more truthful. You could also get another DJ to be your "assistant" for the night, but that person will actually be taking notes on what improvements could be made.

I've found my most valuable referral sources to be when I impress other wedding professionals. They're in a position to refer me regularly, and also have the exposure to different providers that allows them to evaluate me more objectively.

Most couples and guests are really evaluating one thing in my experience... did the DJ play music I like. So if I craft the music to the taste and the bride and groom, they're happy. If I hit their friends too... they're happy. It's important, and a must-win situation, but with a focus on weddings it's unlikely that my guests are a huge pool of prospects. And they rarely know what separates a DJ that can really run a wedding from one that just plays music they like.

The other vendors see all of the things I do in the background. They know how prepared I am with my timelines, my communication, with seeing two steps ahead at the event instead of being totally reactive. And then they see me rock a dance floor. Those relationship are by far the most important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jas
I think this is perhaps the EASIEST question to answer (at least from my experience). WOW THE GUESTS! How do you know when you're doing this? People are coming up to you on a regular basis complimenting you, asking for cards, adding you on facebook or instagram. When people want to talk to you that is a sign that you impressed them to the point they had to stop by. Last night a mom that was a guest at my Sweet 16 came up to me and said, "everyone said you were the best and I hear your name from the kids all the time... but after tonight, I had to come up and tell you you're incredible. The best dj I have ever seen"... This Sweet 16 was in a multipurpose room at a Rec Center... so obviosuly the venue was nothing to talk about. Just about every event I do, I always hope get some sort of response from someone. To me that's a good sign. Thankfully the responses tend to be like the one above. My events may have moments that pertain to the specific requests of the client, but the overall atmosphere is still amazing, and those requests tend to be ones that anyone will enjoy... rather than discourage. I think the overall ATMOSPHERE you provide is more important than did the dj play a song or two. JUST BE AWESOME! Don't do what the majority are doing, do what most aren't. People see me on here and say to themselves, that's over the top, it's too much, I can't buy that, my market doesn't want that. Don't do what everyone else is doing, and everyone will start noticing.

In terms of "WOWing" my philosophy is simple (and this right here is what led to my immediate change into the high end market back in Aug of 2012). People only talk about two types of experiences. First off NO ONE talks about an avg experience. No one will say you gotta try McDOnalds burger... its amazing. People only talk about bad experiences and amazing experiences. If you go to a restaurant and you paid money for a steak that came out cold, overcooked, or tasteless... or just overall had a bad experience at the place, you'll tell your friends its not worth it. If you go to a restaurant and have the most amazing experience ever and every detail was perfect you'll tell friends, that despite the ridiculously high price tag, you gotta experience it just once in your life. When someone explained this to me, I knew right away I needed to start WOWing so people would talk about me in that manner. That year was when I went to moving heads, and made a bunch of other significant changes into how I did things.

From my experience over 80% of my BOOKINGS come from either someone that has actually seen me at an event or directly referred to me from someone that has booked me or seen me at an event. In regards to my INQUIRIES... probably 9/10 of my inquiries come from a direct referral or someone that was a guest. Unfortunately I can't book them all, hence why the booking ratio is slightly less. Yes I get referrals from vendors and venues... but they suck... they're not prequalified to expect a price of around $2000 (starting). Being that I am not the only person the venue or vendor may refer, chances are they're calling others as well... and theres a higher chance I am the most expensive. In their mind their thinking... well if they're all recommended, I'll be just fine with the cheaper option. I think I've only booked 1 direct referral from a venue... and it was after I gave them a huge discount. I only did it because I wanted to expand into a new clientele, but realized it was NOT worth it, when I could generate a much better clientele on my own. Last night the venue manager that rents the rooms out said he's never seen a dj like that in his life and asked me for my cards. He asked me my price... I said expect a minimum of $2k to book me... and that what they say was over $3k... his face was in shock, and said most people spend $3-$500. That is why I don't care for venue referrals... I don't care how good a venue is, most of those inquiries will not fall in the top percentile of spenders for their entertainment. Even one of the most expensive venue in NJ says they experience cheap dj's all the time. To me a referral from the venue is equal to any other type of generic inquiryl... completely unqualified.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Ricky B
Great post Taso and we've pretty much seen how you wow them from your videos. Is there anything besides moving heads, and an awesome setup that you can add in how to wow? I know that your mixing skills are another part of it, but is there anything else you can add?

I mean what can’t you do is the better question. Performance matters, not being corny (cheesy sayings or techniques) having energy and excitement when you speak and perform. Lighting being in the style of the music, and not just random and the same look over and over. Music that the people can overall relate to and want to hear, and mixed in a way that they can dance to and be unique enough to stand out. Getting there early to set up. Taking more than 30 min to plan a clients event and go over EVERY detail. Take the time to really understand the atmosphere they desire. Show that you’re passionate about their event. Two events may want the same music but in totally different types of atmospheres... there’s ways to do that... wether it’s volume control, speed of mixing, hyping on the mic during the songs, etc. Dress for success... better to be the best dressed than underdressed. Making sure everything looks clean, and symmetrical. Have fun, don’t just pretend. Don’t just stand there looking uninterested. AND AGAIN, GIVE THE PEOPLE AN ATMOSPHERE THAT IS BEYOND WHAT THEY EXPECTED. There’s so much and most doesn’t even have to do with equipment... although it helps. When I did the barn wedding in Maryland so many compliments came in the beginning after I did the intros. I was surprised at the reaction from just introductions... but one person said it best... “usually no ones paying attention during them but you started the night and just woke everyone up with your energy and tone”

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ Ricky B and Jas
It helps to define what is and what's not a referral. To wow an audience might contribute to word of mouth (buzz) but, it is not a referral. Putting on a great show may produce no results at all. There has to be someone in that audience who possesses or has direct knowledge of a need for our service. Social media can extend the audience however the same condition exists and we have to wait for the wave front of that performance or social media exposure to intersect with a need for our service. This process is better described as advertising. You make waves and wait for them to wash up on the right shore, no one has made any personal investment to get you hired.

A referral is when an existing customer or associate speaks directly and/or repeatedly to someone with the need and ability to hire you and advocates on your behalf. Ross eludes to this when he mentions other vendors - trusted people who may be in key positions to speak on your behalf. To expand referrals it is more important to be an expert in the eyes of your client or referrer than it is to be the guy who wowed an audience. I'm not saying you can perform poorly, I'm saying that a referral speaks to your reliability irrespective of how much wow is at issue. There will always be performers who can wow people and make waves. Referrals on the other hand are relational - the person referring us is investing their personal credibility in us, and that comes with substantial risk to their own reputation.

Referrals are not coincidental and they can often be repetitive. You are in the eyes of the referrer an expert or the go to source for something.

I agree with Pro, and Taso ...LOL

Taso, I agree that Referrals from Venues CAN be a Crap Shoot...Especially for someone who charges $2,00 - $3.000. There are USUALLY a minimum of 3 or 4 Entertainment/DJ companies that a venue who refers out will refer their clients to...NOT just 1. However, that is not always the case. I understand that a local fire deparment ONLY refers me to their clients. However, I only get a handful of them actually contact me. Why is that? ...I believe it is because they go to my website, and immediately notice my costs are outside of their budget or what they want to pay for a DJ.

The clientelle that hosts events at that fire hall often bring in $200 to $350 DJs...and that will never change. That is the expectation of most of their clients. A handful of them are willing to pay me $750 to $1200 range to perform at their event...but very few.

The same goes with high end venues. I have noticed over the years that those referrals are not as valuable as they were a few years ago. Referrals from venues don't play as much a factor in my bookings in 2017 compared to say 2010. 7+ years ago Venue Referrals meant nearly everything to me. Everything else was filler work back then. Today it's almost the opposite. I still value venue referrals, but that referral client is much less common.

I also find that the venue referral client has for the most part turned into the type of client who doesn't want to spend a lot of time planning their event. They are typically looking for the easy/quick solution to booking a DJ for their event. If the venue recommends said DJ, and the price is pretty typical, and what is expected of a DJ to be, then they will likely book (unless another referred DJ company from the venue comes in at a lower price!!!)

The client I had last night's wedding was a venue referral. I never even spoke to the bride before her wedding day. I only dealt with the groom. While he was a nice guy, and easy going client...It was abundantly obvious he just wanted to make sure a competent, professional DJ was hired for his wedding. Nothing over the top. No need for add on services. He did not even have a single "Must Play" Song. He just told me he wanted dance music and hip hop to be played, and take guest requests at the reception.

Good Client to have for me, but not the type of client a multi service Top Price Teir DJ would have success in booking in the least!

Yeah Pro is technically right... so while I didn't address directly about the referral part... I guess I addressed the overall aspect of how I get business. If anything I guess my referalls technically are guests or clients that tell other potential clients about me... which I get all frequently as well.

not being corny (cheesy sayings or techniques)

"CORNY" has worked for me for 30-years.
(well...it's MY version of corny...which is not nearly as obnoxious as you may think)
It's kinda like the consistently played wedding songs we are all familiar with.
Some people expect it at a wedding.

It would be interesting to see opinions on this topic. What wows folks so much that they want you as their DJ?

The problem I see here is what "WOWs one person, may turn off another and what turns off one person may WOW another.

I have WOW'd people with my red or purple shoes and I have a strong memory of offending one guy with my red shoes, so much so he yelled at me at a wedding.

My bottom line is this. I have to do what I do, the way that I do it. Those that like me will hire me, those that don't wont. What some see as "cheese" others see as fun. If every DJ did the same thing, the same way with all the same gear, it would be boring. What some bring into an event in one area, lights, facade, smoke/haze would never fly in my area.

How do I WOW people? Mostly with my flexibility and personality I feel. But I bet most of you can say the same thing.

Good observation Chuck. When I started this thread I was thinking one of the most important things as a mobile DJ is social skills or personality. It's because I just had an interview with a woman that had great social skills.

All the best gear without those qualities won't make one successful in this business. I just try to give good customer service and have fun. My social skills could be better, I'll admit that.