Would you pay this much for a cellphone?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
I got the EFX 500 for $99.99 with free shipping and the Vue 4 for under $70. So no big deal to me. I said it once and I'll say it again. I would never pay that much for a cellphone even if I had the money to spend. Oh my bad. I could get it if I paid about $53 to start and the rest paid in monthly payments till it got paid for.

The only way I would spend that much for a cellphone is if I hit the Powerball.
I missed one thing you said and that is buying speakers from a pawn shop. I never have sir ever! I was considering it but I never did it.

I can do the same as you if I wanted to and mine didn't cost me $749. So if you didn't have that phone you couldn't do everything you wanted to do with your business?

It doesn't have to be the most current iPhone, but yes, I run a lot of business apps that are iOS only. I control my lights right now using Chauvet's FlareCon app. And Serato Pyro is also on my phone as a tertiary backup plan. Both are iOS only.

I could use an older version of the iPhone, but they only support old phones for a few years before they stop being able to handle the updates effectively.

It doesn't have to be the most current iPhone, but yes, I run a lot of business apps that are iOS only. I control my lights right now using Chauvet's FlareCon app. And Serato Pyro is also on my phone as a tertiary backup plan. Both are iOS only.

I could use an older version of the iPhone, but they only support old phones for a few years before they stop being able to handle the updates effectively.

Another downside of the I Phones. Apple does that on purpose to keep the money coming in on the new phones.

Meanwhile, my sister is still using an old Galaxy S2 phone. I think it's like a 2009 or 2010 model phone. My brother uses my old Galaxy S3...the only issue he is now having is that the charger port is fried. Luckily he has extra batteries so he pops in a fresh charged back up battery, but he goes thru 2 batteries in about 8 hours during the day. He has gotten to the point where he will have to throw in the towel and just buy a new phone, LOL.

Mix, to answer your question, I would pay $849...I am likely purchasing the new Galaxy S8 a month or so after it comes out. I just want to make sure it doesn't have the catching on fire issue that the Note 3 had last year. The new camera on the S8 should be able to shoot some awesome videos...The one on my S6 does pretty good with it's 16 mp camera.

Another downside of the I Phones. Apple does that on purpose to keep the money coming in on the new phones.

Old Samsung phones become obsolete too. Either of them you can use until they die but installing new apps isn't an option.

I gave my 4S to my daughter she still has some apps and can surf the net with it but for what I do I like a little more than that

I remember my first cellphone. It was prepaid and it was as big as the phone on the TV show Get Smart. I also remember a time when the internet was not a big deal. Now people can't wait till they get home to use their PC. They have to do it ASAP! They add just a little better camera on a phone and a couple of new features. Then charge some ridiculous price and a lot of people will get sucked in. They get sucked in because they make the phone with the option of monthly payments. It's the same principle as buying a car. You put so much down and pay so much a month till it gets paid for. Once it's paid for your bill goes down. Eventually a phone will be 1k and the reason for that is again they will find suckers out there that will pay that price.

I remember a time when every 2 blocks you had a pay phone out on the streets. You hardly see them any more if at all. They used to have big locks on them to keep the junkies from breaking into them stealing the money. I remember when people were happy with just making a phone call with a cellphone and didn't have to worry if they had change for a pay phone or having to make a collect call hoping someone would accept the call.

Last edited:

Apple doesn't make the individual Apps - they certify them to work with IOS and support them in a general capacity. As with all software and hardware MFR's, the wheel of progress keeps moving forward and at some point, what's hot now will become obsolete and no longer be able to support newer versions of things or newer apps. It is up to the respective company to make a version for each / another platform.

Last edited:
Apple doesn't make the individual Apps - they certify them to work with IOS and support them in a general capacity. As with all software and hardware MFR's, the wheel of progress keeps moving forward and at some point, what's hot now will become obsolete and no longer be able to support newer versions of things or newer apps. It is up to the respective company to make a version for each / another platform.
When does there become a time when you're satisfied with what you got?

The Flarecon app is available for Android, it sounds like Serato Pyro app will ever be.
FlareCON™ - Android Apps on Google Play

For all of those who would pay $749 for a cellphone I have a great deal for you! I will sell you the George Washington Bridge for 100k. All you have to do is send your money to me through PayPal and I will mail you the title deed to the bridge.

Reactions: ittigger
749 for a cell phone is probably average. Smartphones are handheld computers. Let's not get into how many financial boo boo's you have made.
I knew that was coming and I was ready for that. You complain about things I have bought and I have a right to say anyone who pays $749 for a cellphone is crazy or they need to quit smoking weed. LOL.

I knew that was coming and I was ready for that. You complain about things I have bought and I have a right to say anyone who pays $749 for a cellphone is crazy or they need to quit smoking weed. LOL.

Nobody thinks the amount of money you spend is crazy. They think it's crazy that you buy more gear, and seemingly don't have any paying gigs. If you had income, nobody cares how you spend it.

I'll be moving the to S8+ a few months after it's release. I want to make sure I'm not buying a ticking time bomb. :sqeek:. I may wait and see what the 2nd gen Pixel has to offer though.

Given the amount of things I do from my phone both business and personal I have no problem paying for the latest and greatest. Do I need the latest and greatest? Not necessarily. Last year's S7 would probably suit me just fine. You have to live a little though.

Nobody thinks the amount of money you spend is crazy. They think it's crazy that you buy more gear, and seemingly don't have any paying gigs. If you had income, nobody cares how you spend it.

+1

Mix, you have a right to say anything you want - but it's kind of silly to point out how much someone pays for something (street price) when you pay more than you should for things. Nearly everyone here has pointed out your financial boo boo's - the latest being your collection of hot spots.

The cost to make a smartphone is probably in the same area as it costs to make an iPad - so $749 is pretty fair. If you have / had a smartphone, you've BEEN paying this price - it was just hidden in your monthly bill.

Last edited:
iPhone or Android, whichever OS want.
I prefer IOS because the operating systems are much less fragmented, in my opinion, than Android. So many different versions of Android out there. But, IOS is certainly not without its issues or faults. I do believe the apps are better overall with iOS, because software makers seem to make more money with iOS apps, and they are easier to support them.
I also think the high end Android phones keep making strides and do somethings better than the iPhone.

A good smart phone is a serious business tool for people today.

But to me, the worst investment is a cheap or free Android phone. The market is flooded with them. Some people cannot resist the "free" temptation. But the carriers made MUCH more money from giving you a free phone that costs them $50 than giving you a subsidy of $400 of a high end phone.

They changed the way they do it, But they still make much more off selling a cheap Android than a high end phone
The free Android phones are almost bearable if you really don't use apps or data on your phone, but then why are you paying for a data plan?

I don't know anyone who uses a smart phone seriously that uses a cheap one. Some have 2 gig of memory, with half being used up by bloatware. They are basically for kids and senior citizens, both of which don't really need a smart phone

My iPhone works well, I keep it in great condition with a case, and can usually sell the old one when I upgrade. So would I spend $749 on a smart phone? I doubt it. The last one I bought was $969(7 plus, 256g), I can't see myself going to a cheaper model any time soon. I doubt the new one will be less expensive.

Meanwhile, my sister is still using an old Galaxy S2 phone. I think it's like a 2009 or 2010 model phone. My brother uses my old Galaxy S3...the only issue he is now having is that the charger port is fried. Luckily he has extra batteries so he pops in a fresh charged back up battery, but he goes thru 2 batteries in about 8 hours during the day. He has gotten to the point where he will have to throw in the towel and just buy a new phone, LOL.

Mix, to answer your question, I would pay $849...I am likely purchasing the new Galaxy S8 a month or so after it comes out. I just want to make sure it doesn't have the catching on fire issue that the Note 3 had last year. The new camera on the S8 should be able to shoot some awesome videos...The one on my S6 does pretty good with it's 16 mp camera.

As others have mentioned, apple doesn't make the apps. As the phones get better and can more, the software makers upgrade the apps but they need to be running on a phone that can handle it. Very few people that have older phones are buying new apps, so software makers don't many older version upgrades.

I'd be willing to bet that your brother and sister are doing next to nothing serious data wise on the phone. Texting maybe. I bet the internet and most apps are hideously slow on those phones now. The same would be for an old iPhone.

I'd be willing to bet that your brother and sister are doing next to nothing serious data wise on the phone. Texting maybe. I bet the internet and most apps are hideously slow on those phones now. The same would be for an old iPhone.

I dunno about my sister S2...I used the S3 a few months ago, and it's internet was still working fine. He can still use the mobile hotspot on it now too. Now, the load speed on that phone's internet isn't as good as my S6. I think he will buy a new phone in the next couple of months though. He is getting tired of having no functional charging port.