Would you pay this much for a cellphone?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
My first boss had a car that lasted him for 13 years.

If you take care of a car, it'll last for quite some time. I just pulled my '06 Saab convertible out of storage... 56,000 miles on it, runs perfectly and looks showroom-new.

My 60" LG Plasma TV is now in its 7th year of service. Arguably better than any current LED TV, with no motion blur whatsoever.

Depending on how you maintain it, drive it and where the rust is, I could see that. During the winter, the chemicals used on the ground are not good for vehicles - and if you're not washing those chemicals off, it's even worse. That said, there are plenty of older (10+ years old) vehicles still on the street in good condition. 3k to repair rust on a 13 year old vehicle is alot cheaper than a new car purchase. Sounds like he wanted something new.

For many vehicles, the factory warranty is 3 years / 36k. Others have 4 years / 48k or 5 years / 60k. All have a powertrain warranty of the same or longer. You can add on to any of these plans. Most vehicles will easily go 100k without major issues - so for a dealership to say that a vehicle won't last 7 years / 84k - tells me they don't know much about their vehicles - and that I need to buy from someone else.
No his thinking was what about if the engine or transmission needed to be replaced. Just not worth it for a car that old. I agreed with him.

If we're judging but the content they're all dumb. :sqwink:
I suppose it depends on one's viewing preferences. I'm more of a Discovery/History viewer than a Naked and Afraid one.

it all depends on what a person wants.you can buy say speakers for $150 but will they sound as good as the higher end ones for say $1000,no they won't.a regular phone with no camera or data capability will not do as good as a smart phone with a good camera and data capability for a lot more money.same instance you may buy a camera for say $200 and the quality will not be good as a camera for $2000.to each their own,you have to know what works for you and don't criticize the next person if the want to buy a phone for $1000 or speakers for $3000,he or she knows what they want hopefully,you may want to keep your car for 10 yrs and others may want to change theirs ever 5 yrs.you have dj's who don't wait until their equipment fails to change or upgrade,not because nothing is wrong with it don't mean you should keep it forever.

That then begs the question, are better off now than then?

You can buy most anything - but most of it has to be ordered and delivered.
Local jobs are vanishing.
Digital has changed, i'll not say killed, the recording industry, video rental, photography and film..

Due to FB/forums you have friends across teh country or globe, you associate more with like-minded people with common interests and ideas.

BUT then you don't have to deal with 'all those other people' that differ from you - is this a cause of the fracturing we see in politics and such today?

The funny thing is what was the original reason for having a cellphone? To make phone calls right? They were designed so you could be outside and make a phone call without having to worry about if you had change for a pay phone.

Some of you nailed it. There are certain things you can do today that you couldn't do with a cellphone 5 years ago. So now you tell yourself you need the latest phone to do those new things and that's how they get you to buy a new phone. You feel you got to have the latest phone or you're lost without it.

Dr. Gunther spoke at my best friends oldest daughters High school graduation and talked about the time when there was no 24 hour TV. At a certain time TV went off until the morning when you could watch it again. When you heard a certain song playing you knew TV was about to go off and all you would see is a crazy image and a beeping sound till regular TV came back on.

He reminded us of a time when you used to turn the TV channel with a pair of plyers. There was no such thing as a remote control. And he went on and on. Now in this world we have become addicted to certain things thinking we must have it or life isn't worth living unless you have it.

it's time vs money...

i remember when computers promised a paperless society..I don't quite see that yet.
I thought computers woudl give us more time...smart phones, internet seem to be big time suckers.
Slowly jobs are being swallowed up from all this tech..how will you pay your bills when there's no jobs left?

Oh, you'll have the time to churn butter and harness the horses!

I bet you could save thousands if you bought a horse and buggy and sold your van or maybe churn your own butter that would save a few bucks too.

Times change. Five or six years ago everyone had a desktop computer and a cellphone these days desktops are the smallest portion of sales of computers because of smartphones. the way I figure it is if you dump your desktop and buy the smartphone like many do, you are actually in some money

Reactions: Jeff Romard
My 2014 subaru costs me $3800 a year in payments and insurance (above min coverage). And it's only that cheap (payments) cause I put $9k down on it.
So far other than tires, brakes and oil changes it's not costing me anything in repairs.

Bought my son a 2004 taurus wagon - $1000. Needs a muffler and wheel bearing, some maintence (oil/fuel/air filters). Repairs are gonna be $150.
A bit of rust but nothing more than cosmetic at this time. Everything on the car works perfectly, it's loaded (leather even, high end stereo), rides nice, no rattles. Sure it lacks modern fun stuff like satellite radio, keyfob starting, backup camera, side airbags - but it also lacks a payment!
Insurance is (for me) $160 a year. My son..well, teenagers pay thru the nose.

So yeah, if something major goes (say transmission) it's gonna suck to put $2k into it..BUT if I can a year more out of it..still cheaper, by far, than my subaru.

I quit driving old ratty cars because a) i could afford it and b) the hassle factor of having to fix them.

But the math doesn't lie.

I'm tempted to sell my subaru and get a van...love my subaru though...

I've had the same TV for around 15 years or so. Never been in the shop and needed any upgrades to work. Of course things are made today to keep money circulating. They don't make things to last for 10,15,20 years any more. They make things so they can stay in business.

My first boss had a car that lasted him for 13 years. Only reason he bought a new car was because the old one had developed rust in the back and was told it would cost 3k to repair. So he didn't want to spend that kind of money for a car that old because he was thinking what if something major happened to the car? He decided it wasn't worth it. He bought a new car and while at the dealership the salesperson told him the car he was buying won't last for 13 years. 7 years and it would be time for another one.

Reactions: MIXMASTERMACHOM
That then begs the question, are better off now than then?

You can buy most anything - but most of it has to be ordered and delivered.
Local jobs are vanishing.
Digital has changed, i'll not say killed, the recording industry, video rental, photography and film..

Due to FB/forums you have friends across teh country or globe, you associate more with like-minded people with common interests and ideas.

BUT then you don't have to deal with 'all those other people' that differ from you - is this a cause of the fracturing we see in politics and such today?

Local jobs are vanishing because people refuse to go out and shop. If the people were there, the stores and jobs would remain in place.

Reactions: Jeff Romard