Weddings WWYD, guy calls up and says what do you charge for a wedding TOMORROW?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
This has become - over the past year - a more and more common occurrence in our area.

Simply we verify the venue booking, get a c.c. deposit and balance cash in hand at the beginning of the event.

If its at a private residence (twice), we do a site visit and get a c.c. or cash while there. If there's time during the site visit, we sit and gather all the details.

Otherwise we get details over the phone ASAP.

We do charge our full regular price. Yes it's a little more PIA, but this is what we do to earn the money. It makes up for the easy full price events.

The reason for the last minute call means nothing - just take care of your client and give it just as you would for any other event.

There is no cause here to "take advantage" of a last minute call.

I just had an event like this not too long ago and I asked him to have the retainer ready for me I will pick it up at his house. The rest will be due when I arrive, the thing was he was nowhere to be found until later in the evening when he gave me the remanding balance. My wife always tells me the same thing about getting paid before the event which I always try to but I guess it is the good guy in me. LOL....

I don't understand the thinking of completely screwing someone because of a last minute show. To me, the rate should be the same, no matter if they book 1 year out or 1 day out.

Papa pretty much covered it for me, but 2 additional thoughts:

I would be putting my reputation on the line- very risky without proper prep- and negative word of mouth could affect future business and bookings. I actuality, I wouldn't take the job at all.

I would also add that I would want cash, or cashiers' check up front. Why? Because people who prep for large events at the last minute- in my experience- tend to be a bit flighty. Another risk.

BTW- I usually got $850-$1000 for a wedding (when I was still accepting them), so I don't think $1000 would be a "screwing" anyway. Just max fee.

Now I want to hear how it went!

Joe, your reputation is on the line at every event.

Yes, there's a chance you'll miss something in a rush to get all the necessary details.

But just like any reception, just practice and practice your planner until the details become second nature.

I had a last minute booking where their chosen DJ had bailed WITH their deposit. I said no problem, I understand your apprehension. Give me cash for the difference and give the remaining (original again) balance due to your contact at the venue. It was one of our house accounts.

Then get the balance back from your first DJ and the venue will give me the cash you gave them only after the event was over.

That seemed to sooth them over. It went off fine, everyone was happy and I got paid in full and in cash.

These days with so many wanna be DJ's claiming to be perfect for your event PLUS the current state of our economy, you have to adjust and adapt your thinking on what events to walk away from and which to go after.

It's no one's fault, it's just today's reality.

Here's a true story. I had been in NC for less than 6 months. A Saturday morning early (around 8:30 am) while I was eating breakfast a call comes in. It the father of the Groom. Needs a DJ by 3:00 pm in a town I never heard of. They were having a band for the reception, but the lead singer came down with "no voice" the night before. He was willing to pay "whatever" it would take to get me there. I didn't price gouge. Gave him a price for time and approx travel. It ended up being in a town about 70 miles away. As I found out months later after I learned more about the geographic area, it was really about 45 minutes away using the "back roads." I had to use Interstate and sketchy directions.
Found the place...and old building with antiquated power outlets, no 3-prong outlets in the place. Ugh!

We signed the Contract and received the full payment on the hood of the Groom's Father's car...before I unloaded equipment. Cash.

The wedding went OK, but it was very last minute details from the Groom and the Bride. I don't recall that there were any bridesmaids. Anyhow, that was quite an experience.

So in less than 6 hours from time of phone call, I was playing my first wedding reception in North Carolina...in a small town.

I had trouble with power so I had to use several plugs around the room.

Fortunately, I had their First Dance song in my library and the other program songs I just winged it. They didn't seem to mind. They were grateful that they had music for the reception.