Weddings Your opinion is needed for an upcoming gig

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

trafficgoo

Weight lifting Music Guy
Apr 1, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
www.musclemanmusic.com
I've been in touch with this couple for over a year now...their wedding is coming up on October 23rd.

My wife and I originally met with them last year around August 2nd. According to them...we were highly recommended.

They liked us but wanted to see us in action before booking with us. So I make arrangements for them to see us back in Feb. They messed up and went on the wrong date.

I then made arrangements for them to see us 2 other times but they couldn't make those dates. We finally mesh on a date in May and they came out to see us. They loved what we did in person and said they would be in touch.

I just heard from them about a month ago and they want to meet again this past weekend. I had to cancel because of personal reasons.

At this point, I'm not into doing this event...I've lost total interest. Plus I don't have a signed contract/deposit AND i have to rent additional speakers for a 400 person crowd. These folks in my mind are total pains in the a$$.

Should I still book this event? Your thoughts?

400 person crowd = lots of exposure to potential clients. I understand your frustration with taking a LOOOOONG time to get a contract signed and deposit paid, but I don't see a need to run just yet. Yes, this person may be a challenge, but on the other hand maybe not. Maybe they're just indecisive, and need a little push to sign on the dotted line.

Maybe contact them stating that you have 2 recent inquiries for their date, and can no longer keep the date reserved without a retainer/deposit. Get that meeting scheduled quickly and get the deposit.

Well... you've got over a year vested in planning with this prospect already. I'd hate to see it all gone to waste.

That being said, I don't understand the need for all these damn meetings. They've already seen you at a show. What more do they need? More meetings aren't going to change the price of tea in China. :dontknow:

Here's what I'd suggest: Since you've already promised them yet another useless meeting, honor your word and try to set up a date that's satisfactory for all involved.

Use the meet to get your point across. It's now or never. Let it be known that you need the retainer or booking fee and signed contract before the date can be confirmed. As of now it's not.... and they've had over a year to chit or get off the pot.

If they'll commit to a contract and payment (including the rental equipment cost), fine. If they still seem undecided, let 'em know you have a business to run and you can't hold dates without a contract.

In essence, you're done giving your time away. ;)

I dealt with one of those earlier this year except he wa an arrogant little bas**rd on top of everything else. He wouldn't send back the contract, then he signed and emailed it to me ( I require Postal mail) then when he did he wouldn't send a deposit. He spent about two months telling me he was sening it out next week but it never got to me meanwhile he was posting pics on Facebook from his vacations (yes more than one)

I finally cut him loose and when I did he FLIPPED. I kind of enjoyed him screaming at me to tell you the truth.

I figured if I can't get the deposit out of him how in the world would I get the bigger amount

Rule #1 : No "drop-ins" at my clients weddings. Period. At all.

If they want to come hear the gear at another event I happen to be doing that is open to the public or has general admission to get a feel for sound, mixing, MC etc, fine... but no wedding crashing.

They get references, online reviews, and even professionally shot videos by area videographers if they are hell-bent on seeing intros or toasts "in action."

The fact that I would never have done that part aside, I don't know that I see where the problem really is. I mean, other than them asking for something that only 1 client out of 100 actually asks (Can I see you at another event?) that I put an end to before they finish asking, all I see in the picture is that you had to cancel/reschedule an appointment. :triwink:

Where does the "difficult" come in with this client?

You already agreed to something most of us wouldn't have, but it worked in your favor - ie they liked you and were stoked about continuing. I'd run with it.

My only suggestion at this point though would be that I would lay out very politely and matter of fact that you haven't minded going well above and beyond your normal consultation procedure, and you'd be happy to have further consultations with them once they have returned a contract and/or deposit to reserve your services, and don't be afraid to say point blank youd be happy to meet with them this one last time if they tell you they are going to sign then and there..

ie only PAYING clients on the books get unlimited free consultations.

These guys have had more than their share, but I dont see them being too undesirable unless there's more info you left out.

Raise the rate for the event, they have already wasted a lot of your time!

It has been a year since they started talking to you about this gig, tell them you have had a rate increase since they first started talking with you and it wouldn't be fair to clients that have already signed a contract with you at the higher rate to allow them to now book at the previous quoted price. Or tell them that price quote expired at 90 days!

Time invested????? You met with them once and you canceled the last meeting....I've met many clients twice.

Have you ever sent them a contract. maybe they've perceived that you're not interested....

Man....everybody wants this perfect, dream client.....

me thinks

reading comprehension is lacking.:triwink:
Time invested????? You met with them once and you canceled the last meeting....I've met many clients twice.

Have you ever sent them a contract. maybe they've perceived that you're not interested....

400 person crowd = lots of exposure to potential clients. I understand your frustration with taking a LOOOOONG time to get a contract signed and deposit paid, but I don't see a need to run just yet.
Maybe they're just indecisive.
I dont see them being too undesirable unless there's more info you left out.
My thoughts exactly.

Unless you turned down other prospects for that date, there is no reason to get an attitude. And if you DID turn down other prospects, you have to ask yourself why you did that.

The biggest problem with this client is you.

My Answers in BLUE

I've been in touch with this couple for over a year now...their wedding is coming up on October 23rd.

My wife and I originally met with them last year around August 2nd. According to them...we were highly recommended.

They liked us but wanted to see us in action before booking with us. So I make arrangements for them to see us back in Feb. They messed up and went on the wrong date.

As soon as I saw this, I thought why hasnt a Contract been done yet......
also a future client coming to a function - no way not on forget it period!

I then made arrangements for them to see us 2 other times but they couldn't make those dates. We finally mesh on a date in May and they came out to see us. They loved what we did in person and said they would be in touch.

So they still havent signed a contract - it would be run red flags they wont ever book!

I just heard from them about a month ago and they want to meet again this past weekend. I had to cancel because of personal reasons.

At this point, I'm not into doing this event...I've lost total interest. Plus I don't have a signed contract/deposit AND i have to rent additional speakers for a 400 person crowd. These folks in my mind are total pains in the a$$.

Should I still book this event? Your thoughts?

Book this event - either they book at an now increased rate because its way too close
or they find another dj period!

Rule #1 : No "drop-ins" at my clients weddings. Period. At all.

If they want to come hear the gear at another event I happen to be doing that is open to the public or has general admission to get a feel for sound, mixing, MC etc, fine... but no wedding crashing.

They get references, online reviews, and even professionally shot videos by area videographers if they are hell-bent on seeing intros or toasts "in action."

The fact that I would never have done that part aside, I don't know that I see where the problem really is. I mean, other than them asking for something that only 1 client out of 100 actually asks (Can I see you at another event?) that I put an end to before they finish asking, all I see in the picture is that you had to cancel/reschedule an appointment. :triwink:

You already agreed to something most of us wouldn't have, but it worked in your favor - ie they liked you and were stoked about continuing. I'd run with it.

My only suggestion at this point though would be that I would lay out very politely and matter of fact that you haven't minded going well above and beyond your normal consultation procedure, and you'd be happy to have further consultations with them once they have returned a contract and/or deposit to reserve your services, and don't be afraid to say point blank youd be happy to meet with them this one last time if they tell you they are going to sign then and there..

ie only PAYING clients on the books get unlimited free consultations.

These guys have had more than their share, but I dont see them being too undesirable unless there's more info you left out.

I don't appreciate the drop in client situation either, in fact I had sent them a video of my wife and I in action....that wasn't good enough. The reason I'm annoyed, they've had more than enough time to send us a deposit but haven't and they most likely have been shopping other DJ's. Of course I've been too nice about this and it's partially my fault for letting it go this long. You learn from your mistakes.

They liked us but wanted to see us in action before booking with us. ......Your thoughts?

Well for me, it ends at that "high recommendation" and the meeting.

[from my FAQ section:]

"....I also consider a visit to someone else's private event to be in bad taste. Everybody's function is
different and the best way to know what to expect at yours, is to talk to the DJ. That's why I am
more than happy to meet with you so you can decide for yourself if the service I provide is right
for you."

That's one reason I would have moved on.

Second reason...

Yes, the 400 count attendance is good exposure. However, if you have to acquire additional equipment to accommodate this size crowd, then I have to assume it was never your intention to ever play for one. (it's not mine either) You have been DJing for some time now, yes?

Now, since you let the ball roll this far into your court, I'd have to say that you have obligated yourself to volley it. There have been some obvious obstacles, but nothing that speaks to the client being taboo. Backing out now may look more like cold feet than logic.

Just my thoughts.

:triwink:

My thoughts exactly.

Unless you turned down other prospects for that date, there is no reason to get an attitude. And if you DID turn down other prospects, you have to ask yourself why you did that.

The biggest problem with this client is you.

I don't have an attitude about this, but when you're highly recommended by someone, they meet with you, they see you in a video, they see you live and it's been over a year?? It is my fault that I let this drag out but man...you try to be the nice guy and this happens....it's the last time this will happen.

They've had a contract since day one. And if you read what I posted...we have met with them twice....the first meeting and at another gig, plus mass amounts of emails too.