Weddings Your thoughts on a backyard reception

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

trafficgoo

Weight lifting Music Guy
Apr 1, 2008
Gilbert, AZ
www.musclemanmusic.com
What is your stance when it comes to the landscaping of a backyard for a reception? We did one a few years ago and ended up being too close to a dirt area...I ended up having to take in most of my equipment to get cleaned.

We just got a request for another one in October. It's in a big back yard but apparently most of it is dirt. I told the client that we prefer to be on a concrete area because of the dirt situation. What do you tell the client up front? And...do you put something in the contract regarding equipment being damaged?

Will you have a chance to do a site survey before hand?...or have you seen it?

Most weddings we've done outside haven't been a problem. If dust is a problem, people around here wet it down so dust doesn't blow around.

I would bring something to put under my equipment if I was setting up on dirt.

If I thought my equipment will need to be cleaned afterwards, I would build that into the quote.

I have no problem with them. I have tarps if I need to use them for rain, dust, or dirt surfaces. I do ask them to provide a shelter for me, too.

I will be doing a small, informal, outdoor reception this Saturday in the bride and groom's back yard. I have no idea where they're putting me.

Will you have a chance to do a site survey before hand?...or have you seen it?

Most weddings we've done outside haven't been a problem. If dust is a problem, people around here wet it down so dust doesn't blow around.

I would bring something to put under my equipment if I was setting up on dirt.

If I thought my equipment will need to be cleaned afterwards, I would build that into the quote.

Not sure if I'll be able to get a site check ahead of time. This will be held at a friends house of the bride and groom....the groom is going to do another site check and get me some stats.

I don't do house parties anymore as they never end on time, kids are out of control, people get too drunk, bad placement, power issues and more.

That is true but can be circumvented if one demands to go out and see the site and determine what they would need. They can rent a riser stage and put the DJ on it!

We've done many outdoor shows, receptions included. All we require of the client is electrical service and protection from the elements. Sometimes they'll have us set up inside the tent.

If there is such a thing as an outdoor show with no dust at all we've yet to see it. There is pollen etc pretty much everywhere. :)

We've done many outdoor shows, receptions included. All we require of the client is electrical service and protection from the elements. Sometimes they'll have us set up inside the tent.

If there is such a thing as an outdoor show with no dust at all we've yet to see it. There is pollen etc pretty much everywhere. :)

Fred, also for the benefit of others. Almost every problem has a solution. I did an outdoor party last month and many before then where dust was indeed a factor. The DJ should be astute enough to ensure that his/her equipment is protected. Again that is why a visit to the site is absolutely necessary.

Anyhow here is the solution. Try to supply your own EZ UP tent with the flaps down on three sides if necessary. A high power fan blowing outwards will prevent dust from blowing into the tent and thus on your equipment. It is also a great mosquito deterrent. Mosquitoes do not like strong breezes. The bonus to all this is that it helps to keep the DJ cool!

Either one of these would work, I use both. The first one is more powerful but does not oscillate.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=384201
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=383094

Yep this is the very reason we have bought a few tarps to lay under our equipment and a white easy up. I don't rely on anyone at our events for anything other than power and even for that I worn them we need to be our own circuit.

I'm the master of details lol. Sometimes it drives me crazy but it does serve me well when an event is under way. And I remember pretty much everything. Though small things can slip by my once in awhile. Back yard receptions can be homey and fun. Plus those putting it on sometimes are seen by there neighbors as knowing how to through a party. I have friends that everytime we visit when ever they have company that we have not met I'm always introduce by his wife as "Our friend Dave He is a professional DJ". LOL she kind of likes the idea when I come over for there parties.

What is your stance when it comes to the landscaping of a backyard for a reception? We did one a few years ago and ended up being too close to a dirt area...I ended up having to take in most of my equipment to get cleaned.

We just got a request for another one in October. It's in a big back yard but apparently most of it is dirt. I told the client that we prefer to be on a concrete area because of the dirt situation. What do you tell the client up front? And...do you put something in the contract regarding equipment being damaged?

If the money is good, do it. You just might get a gig or two from a referral at that Party. if its not worth your effort then pass on it. We can't always expect to have gigs where everything is just the way we want them. This chalks up to your experience.

Mosquitoes do not like strong breezes. The bonus to all this is that it helps to keep the DJ cool!

We don't have mosquitoes in Phoenix....but we have dust!

One place I will NEVER DJ again....in a barn.
I did a Halloween party in a barn once, the dust from the staw was awful.

I use some painted plywood to place my equipment on when doing an outdoor event. I also carry my own pop up tent, (great for pool parties also). I did an outdoor wedding a couple of years ago that the groom built me a stage to set up on, very cool.

If the money is good, do it. You just might get a gig or two from a referral at that Party. if its not worth your effort then pass on it. We can't always expect to have gigs where everything is just the way we want them. This chalks up to your experience.

This couple actually found us at a 40th high school reunion that we did a few months back. :sqbiggrin:

This couple actually found us at a 40th high school reunion that we did a few months back. :sqbiggrin:

Thats great! Someone else might find you there at that event plus you get to keep that couple for Birthday Parties, Anniversaries etc. Figure out a way man, you can do it!