Weddings Your Way of Taking Requests...?

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!
Paper and Pen for us but now since getting our lighted Motion Computing Tablet. We just use the digital pen to write them all down if they are good we can save the list as a file and bring it up again. Works good if you have clients who have some of your other future clients at there events (brides being girlfriends and such).

Most or our weddings are between 150 and 250 so it makes it a little harder to go table to table and plus when we open the dance floor we usually announce that we will be taking danceable requests. This seems to be working very well for us.

I've seen quite a few ways of DJs taking requests. Verbally, going table to table (learned from watching the video by Todd Mitchem), I've seen a DJ have a small table with his request sheet and pen (to me that was anti-social, dislike)

I would assume verbally is the best way...

What say you?

Focus video? Very good, I bought it a few years back.

If I get a request for a song that is unsuitable which I know I won't play, I ask the requester to choose another. I will also tell them why I won't play a particular song.

I typically don't do this. I don't want to have to get into a debate. Obviously they think it's appropriate or they wouldn't request it. I simply tell them I will try...and then I run out of time.

How does everyone get around all of the requests that will kill your dance floor? I know the obvious answer is "don't play them" but by soliciting requests you are implying that you will play them. I always tell the B&G that requests should be limited to the framework (songs) that they have listed. If it fits it will get played if it doesn't it won't. That way when people come up to ask for a song I have discretion whether to play it or not and I don't look like the bad guy if I don't.

I typically don't do this. I don't want to have to get into a debate. Obviously they think it's appropriate or they wouldn't request it. I simply tell them I will try...and then I run out of time.

This is where I beg to differ. If you tell them you may play it, they will bug you all night long until you do. I am not going to lie to people. Here in Texas we do not appreciate the BS. People like to be told the truth as brutal as it may be. I have told scores of people "No I am not going to play that song" but at the same time I guide them into choosing another selection. They are happy and so am I.

This is where I beg to differ. If you tell them you may play it, they will bug you all night long until you do. I am not going to lie to people. Here in Texas we do not appreciate the BS. People like to be told the truth as brutal as it may be. I have told scores of people "No I am not going to play that song" but at the same time I guide them into choosing another selection. They are happy and so am I.

"Here in Texas" You keep saying that like you are on another planet or something. :trirolleyes:

Great when can you fit it in?

My song hasn't played yet?

You ask for requests and then you don't play it? wtf!

I work at a radio station...I can go on and on

lol

Same here, I'm not going to publicly ask for their requests, you are only setting yourself up for the clowns that will try & "Stump the DJ" or request stuff like Pink Floyd, Etc.

I have enough to handle and limited time to fit in all my client's special songs. If they come up & make a request, I'll tell them "i'll try & see what I can do" I make no promises.

If they want to hire me & make requests ....that's fine.

A few years ago, I had made the mistake of asking for requests & when some of the boozed up guests didn't hear their requests, they turned nasty.

No thanks.

"Here in Texas" You keep saying that like you are on another planet or something. :trirolleyes:

Don'tcha know? Why do you think they call it the Lone Star State?:triwink::triwink:

OK so this Canadian American steps in..............
See i know how to be appropriate. I am American but live in Canada. I do browse tables in my wedding gigs and my pub gigs.

I will TAKE request.

No promise to play it.

I will get it in if I can.

End of story.

This is exactly it. I am not a juke box. Someone putting in a request does not mean it will get played. It may not be appropriate, it may be a slow song and I'm not planning on playing any more slow songs that night. but I might. It might be a rap song...and I just got done playing my last set of rap. Sometimes they may request something perfect for the next song.

But unlike Houston, I'm not going to tell each person whether their song is going to be played, because I don't know for sure....because my plans may change depending on the crowd. Most times, I cannot say for sure it will or won't get played, but I'l gladly take the request.

I thank them for the request...and that's it.

I usually make an announcement early in the evening...like
"if there's something you'd like to hear, don't be afraid to ask..."

then I deal with the details individually when they come up and verbally ask me.
that is when I address issues like appropriateness, time remaining, availability, bride and grooms' preferences, etc.
If there is any chance I will not (or cannot) play their request...
I use the standard line...
"...I'll see what I can do for ya..."
OR
"...let me see if I have that one..."

Had an old lady this past Saturday who came up at the end to tell me she was disappointed that I didn't play her request. Told her I didn't have it.
(actually, I did have it...but it woulda flopped with this particular crowd..)

If you don't plan on playing requests/don't know if you will don't call out for requests. The people who want to hear a song will come to you. You can then deal with it discreetly :)

If a request falls in line with what the bride and groom want played I will play it because it virtually guarantees my dance floor will remain strong. If it's out of left field I just say that the Bride and Groom have songs on their must play list that I have to get to and that If I have enough time I'll try to play it. That way I get to keep my dance floor strong and no one ever gets mad at me for not playing their song :)

I tell everyone if there is something special you would like to hear and if i have it i will gladly play it for you

But unlike Houston, I'm not going to tell each person whether their song is going to be played, because I don't know for sure....because my plans may change depending on the crowd. Most times, I cannot say for sure it will or won't get played, but I'l gladly take the request.

I thank them for the request...and that's it.

Here is Texas your word is everything. If you can't do what you said you would then you are shyt! I have done many a contract with cash exchanged beforehand and just a handshake and no written contract. Your word is everything. In a six shooter State yer better be a straight shooter! :triwink:

Here is Texas your word is everything. If you can't do what you said you would then you are shyt! I have done many a contract with cash exchanged beforehand and just a handshake and no written contract. Your word is everything. In a six shooter State yer better be a straight shooter! :triwink:

I think telling people, "I'll see what I can do" is shooting straight with them...Because I will see what I can do.

I think it's wonderful that everyone in Texas appreciates blunt honesty so much that when you tell them you refuse to play their song, they thank you. :tribiggrin: My experience way up north has been different.

I think telling people, "I'll see what I can do" is shooting straight with them...Because I will see what I can do.

I think it's wonderful that everyone in Texas appreciates blunt honesty so much that when you tell them you refuse to play their song, they thank you. :tribiggrin: My experience way up north has been different.

Hey! I did the same while in Boston. Haven't eaten a knuckle sandwich yet! It is how you say it and also be sure to offer an alternative so they can still be happy!