All In One Part Two

To many ads? Support ODJT and see no ads!

Ausumm

Gold Plated Productions
Oct 21, 2008
Bethlehem PA
Now that I have my ADJ Dotz system, I need to complete the effect with a mirror ball.
I have an old school, which I love, and I have one LED pinspot.....but here's my dilemma.
We all know that mirror ball's are great, but only if they are easy enough to setup.
You have to mount it and the motor is just the right way to get proper light coverage from the pinspot,
and for the beams to project into the room correctly.
So I am considering buying a new LED mirrorball effect.
I currently use an original ADJ Starball, with the full sphere and halogen bulb.
But it's just not bright enough, and gets very hot if you don't cycle it during the night.
I've been pricing the Spherion WH (all white, no DMX), but having a hard time finding someone who still carries them (discontinued). I did find a new, open box unit for $50 (still need to see if it's legit).
So, should I try to make the old school plan work...and get the TRUE mirrorball effect we all love...
or do I make my life easy and go with new technology?
I can't really tell if the Spherion is good enough to light a medium to large sized room...
the old school ball is fine with the right LED pins.

ADJ Starburst imo is your best bet for a Mirrorball like effect.

You can buy the CSL (Colorado Sound and Lighting) mount for $20 and place it on top of a speaker stand. Then place the ADJ Starburst on top of the stand with that mount.

I want the Starburst. My only issue is I feel the light doesn't have enough throw for rooms where the ceiling is higher than 15 feet, and walls are more than 25 feet away. I'm just not sure if it's worth spending $200+ on the effect.

If you can find one of these (and it might be a challenge) they are spectacular. Very bright and long lasting. I've been using mine very regularly since 2004 and haven't has much as changed a bulb. The funny part is I bought it for the coloured mirrors when it came it was cracked and instead of sending the whole unit back they sent me the colour mirror...I've never used it

Chauvet CH-202B Mini Moon Effect

Reactions: DjDennis
If you can find one of these (and it might be a challenge) they are spectacular. Very bright and long lasting. I've been using mine very regularly since 2004 and haven't has much as changed a bulb. The funny part is I bought it for the coloured mirrors when it came it was cracked and instead of sending the whole unit back they sent me the colour mirror...I've never used it

Chauvet CH-202B Mini Moon Effect

Jeff, I had that same light! I remember I bought it from Musicans Friend for $44.99 on sale back in like 2003. It's a work horse light. I gifted it to my Dad about 4 years ago.

It is a stand still moon flower effect though...not a Mirror Ball effect. It has good coverage on the dance floor though. It can cover a good 15 - 20 foot round section on the dance floor pointed down. I usually kept the yellow color spot on it.

Jeff, I had that same light! I remember I bought it from Musicans Friend for $44.99 on sale back in like 2003. It's a work horse light. I gifted it to my Dad about 4 years ago.

It is a stand still moon flower effect though...not a Mirror Ball effect. It has good coverage on the dance floor though. It can cover a good 15 - 20 foot round section on the dance floor pointed down. I usually kept the yellow color spot on it.

Ricky, mine has a three way switch on the back that it can be standstill, moving all one direction or sound active (moves one way then turns). I think I have a video somewhere showing the effect if I can find it I'll upload it

The one I had is the same one, except I am not sure if I had the "B" version. Mine came with 4 colored round gel papers to put in front of the light which had like a O ring there. It had Yellow, Blue, Red, and Green, or I could just have it in plain white. It also had Sound active, static, or auto I think.

It's a moon flower effect though. It won't give you 360 degrees spinning mirror all effect.

The one I had is the same one, except I am not sure if I had the "B" version. Mine came with 4 colored round gel papers to put in front of the light which had like a O ring there. It had Yellow, Blue, Red, and Green, or I could just have it in plain white. It also had Sound active, static, or auto I think.

It's a moon flower effect though. It won't give you 360 degrees spinning mirror all effect.

You must have had an older version than me. Mine does give the 360 spin

You must have had an older version than me. Mine does give the 360 spin

Do you mean around the room? I mean placing the light, and the light hitting behind you, to the sides, in front of you.

Or are you referring to placing it high on a stand or ceiling, and pointing down, and the light effect it emits is spinning on the dance floor?

Do you mean around the room? I mean placing the light, and the light hitting behind you, to the sides, in front of you.

Or are you referring to placing it high on a stand or ceiling, and pointing down, and the light effect it emits is spinning on the dance floor?

I'm talking having it on a stand and spinning on the dance floor

Jeff, I had one of those many "moons" ago.
(I never used the colored wheel, either...cause I used it as a mirrorball)
And I did consider getting two.
But, as Ricky said, it's not a real MB effect.

the old school ball is fine with the right LED pins.

The Elks by me has a nice big rotating mirror ball (permanently installed), with two lousy flood lights aimed at it. It's so bad I don't even use it.
What exactly do you, or anyone else, recommend for LED pins? How about colors, or it best to stay with white?

Last edited:
I'll have to get a pic of the one I bought for the rink, I bought from and engineering fraternity, I belonged too the used to use it for their formal dance every year back in the late 80's/ early 90's, it's 6 foot around and the top and bottom half rotate opposite directions, it super heavy but should look pretty cool in the rink

Reactions: ittigger
I'll have to get a pic of the one I bought for the rink, I bought from and engineering fraternity, I belonged too the used to use it for their formal dance every year back in the late 80's/ early 90's, it's 6 foot around and the top and bottom half rotate opposite directions, it super heavy but should look pretty cool in the rink
That's quite impressive. Def interested in seeing pics/video of that specimen.

That's quite impressive. Def interested in seeing pics/video of that specimen.
one of the mechanical engineering students built it as a project in 1986, he was very proud of it they used it every year until they lost their charter at that campus due to low number in 2009, I need to find 4-8 high power led spots to put on it

it's 6 foot around and the top and bottom half rotate opposite directions,

I hope you can actually control the directions it turns. Everybody in a roller rink is already going in circles, so I'm sure there is a best direction, especially for the lights that hit the floor.

I hope you can actually control the directions it turns. Everybody in a roller rink is already going in circles, so I'm sure there is a best direction, especially for the lights that hit the floor.
for some reason it switches directions every time your turn the power on and off I am able to control the speed of the rotation

it's not the effect, it's the LOOK, you can't replace the look of a "disco ball" hanging there.

Attachments

• Disco Ball (1).JPG
    Disco Ball (1).JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Disco Ball (2).jpg
    Disco Ball (2).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Disco Ball (3).jpg
    Disco Ball (3).jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Disco Ball (4).JPG
    Disco Ball (4).JPG
    178 KB · Views: 19
  • Disco Ball (5).JPG
    Disco Ball (5).JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Disco Ball (6).JPG
    Disco Ball (6).JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 21
What exactly do you, or anyone else, recommend for LED pins? How about colors, or it best to stay with white?

You can find Chinese (sold from California) 15 watt lights on Amazon and Ebay for less than $20 each..
Of course, at that price, I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were not actually 15-watts.
Still, the name brand ones are $39.99 for a 3-watt light....
so for what you're paying...

And I will always want white lights on a pinspot.
(stubborn old fart)